1.    #1  
    According to this article, the Pre will be available through Telstra in Australia in August.

Telstra Tipped To Launch Palm Pre In August - Smarthouse
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted-D View Post
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I guess "Sorry, mate" would be in order?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Here is an example of why this is bad. In Australia there is no such thing as a plan with unlimited data (so all of you whinging about SERO should be grateful that unlimited data is actually an option). Most plans for smart phones include a small amount of data with high excess charges. The other option is to buy a "Mobile data pack"

Telstra $59 Browsing Pack, 1GB of Data and excess usage charged at $0.25/KB
    Three (My current provider) X-Series Ultimate 20, $20 for 1GB of data with excess usage charged at 10c/MB

The Three option also includes 4000 minutes of skype calls
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    According to this article, the Pre will be available through Telstra in Australia in August.

Telstra Tipped To Launch Palm Pre In August - Smarthouse
    Telstra actually said second half of 2009, its the smarthouse people saying August which I seriously doubt.

Do suspect it will be Telstra launched and not surprised about it being exclusive. Best thing is they have to have unlocking options in Australia so you can more to more affordable suppliers

Nothing like the unlimited mobile data plans they have in the US, which are sure to go in time.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingBrad View Post
    Telstra actually said second half of 2009, its the smarthouse people saying August which I seriously doubt.
    Well, to quote the article:
    The hot new Palm Pre which is very similar to the new iPhone will go on sale in Australia in August with Telstra snaring an exclusive three month contract say Telstra insiders.
    So yeah, throw this in the (large) pile of unconfirmed rumors from various insiders, but Smarthouse claims not to have made it up.

Hey Derek--thanks for the credit on the home page!
    Quote Originally Posted by VikingBrad View Post
    Do suspect it will be Telstra launched and not surprised about it being exclusive. Best thing is they have to have unlocking options in Australia so you can more to more affordable suppliers
    They get around that by making it linked to a fairly pricey plan and then force you to pay out that contract in full plus the unlocking fee. You'd have to really want a Pre to do that.

E.g. Pre only $20 a month on a $79 plan over 24 months = $2376 + Unlock fee
    This would be the GSM version BTW.
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    Also posted this on the Pre Central story page:

That's interesting... That would pretty solidly debunk the dual-band UMTS rumour, if true, as Vodafone runs 2100/900 (and they're rumoured to be one carrier) while Telstra runs ?/850 (2100/850?). So unless this is false or Telstra is intending to sell a phone that only works in the cities, I'd say there'll either be two different UMTS versions, or it'll be a 2100/900/850 version, somehow. Either way it would be good (kinda) news for AT&T folks hoping for a Pre.
    So Tel$tra or Hel$tra as they are affectionately referred to down here, run the following network. UMTS 850 and 2100 along with GSM 900. I know that the TREO PROS supplied to Telstra S/N range P4GU09****** were apparently supplied with modified antenna to work better on the Telstra network. Although I have a Treo Pro both from Tel$tra and a generic one S/N range P4GUEA****** and I don't notice any difference.
    Incidentally I don't think they were locked to Telstra? Although I have failed in several attempts to remove the branding on the Telstra one?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Hey Derek--thanks for the credit on the home page!
    Wouldn't have seen it without ya!
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I wonder if this rumour is cooling off... I don't see very many sites reporting about it other than the SmartHouse site, yet Bell/Palm's announcement went everywhere.

I'd really hope it's true though, that means there well be at least one GSM version that supports NA HSDPA.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here