Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    While I do know for a fact that you cannot talk and browse the internet at the same time (at least with Sprint) I'm starting to wonder what happens with the messaging services that are included with the Pre (Gtalk & AIM) and what happens during a phone call.

I mean if I'm in the middle of a instant message conversation, would it disconnect me from the IM network and show my screenname offline while I'm on a phone call?

Anybody have any details as to how this is expected to work exactly?

Thanks in advance.
    It doesn't disconnect the internet, it puts it in a sort of standby mode, so it'll probably depend on the length of the call, but as long as you're not on the phone for hours I'd imagine it keeps you online.
  3. H_D
    Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    I think your right on the money with that. I do know that when I'm on a call on my BBCurve, it really depends on how long the call is. It usually comes up as "Away" for at least 10 mins into the call but if its an hr or so, I'll be logged out. I solved that issue though with the sms feature AIM offers so if I get an sms from AIM, I'll know I need to log back in.
    Yeah it puts you in standby.

Hell, I'm pretty sure i've gotten a phone call while listening to Pandora before.

Data and Voice are a lot more flexible than I think people imagine sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Yeah it puts you in standby.

Hell, I'm pretty sure i've gotten a phone call while listening to Pandora before.
    Pandora downloads the song as fast as it can while you are listening. This means the song could be downloaded completely before the call comes in. You would not be able to listen to pandora for long while on a call.

On all other IM programs on smartphones on sprint there it will disconnect you from them and resume them when you hang up.

Text messaging will work fine though, as it uses the same frequency as the call.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    Pandora downloads the song as fast as it can while you are listening. This means the song could be downloaded completely before the call comes in. You would not be able to listen to pandora for long while on a call.

On all other IM programs on smartphones on sprint there it will disconnect you from them and resume them when you hang up.

Text messaging will work fine though, as it uses the same frequency as the call.
    I just signed onto GChat with on my Blackberry curve.

I then logged into my other Gchat name on my computer.

I IM'd my phone once to make sure connection was fine. (it was.)

I then called my voice mail and wrote a few lines on my computer to my phone.

As expected I did not get an alert. As soon as I hung up, I got the IM's.

There was no sign of a disconnection. You are simply put on standby
    You are put on standby. However if you are near a wi-fi connection I am assuming you will still be able to talk and be on the web at the same time.