1.    #1  
    A burgeoning community of developers are investing time and resources on a device and platform they've barely seen from a company that was, until recently, written off for dead: Palm Inc. While many observers are skeptical that Palm can make a sizable dent in the mobile market, hundreds of developers are eagerly awaiting the release of the company's new webOS and the Palm Pre mobile device.

These developers have signed up to participate in dev camps that are slated to take place on the first weekend after Palm releases webOS and Pre. These camps are being organized by the developers and are not under Palm's purview, nor Sprint's, the carrier designated to sell the device in the United States, according to the organizers.
    Will Palm Get Its 'Mojo' Back with webOS and Pre? | Feature | Redmond Developer News
    This is a great article.
  3.    #3  
    Yep, I thought so too. An extremely optimistic view, hugely contrasting the pessimism that seems to outweigh these days.
    Did anyone else notice too that they seem to have slipped out an announcement for a new app in the article? It's not something that I'd be interested in, but still.
    Optimism in the developer community is definitely good too, especially with a lot of the bad press Apple has been getting for how developers are treated and the development process for the iPhone.

Happy initial developers lead to more applications which can definitely draw customers and more customers mean more developers interested in the platform. No that they have them interested, they need to make sure they do everything possible to keep them happy and interested.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Did anyone else notice too that they seem to have slipped out an announcement for a new app in the article? It's not something that I'd be interested in, but still.
    Is this what you're talking about?
    Greg Stevenson, who is based in Irvine, Calif., has developed a scheduling app called Runway that links the Pre's calendar with multiple online calendars. Evgeny Likhoded in the U.K. runs his own blog focused on webOS and plans to launch a Pre developer store.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Yeah, exactly.
    Huh. I have to wonder what other online calendars Runway is going to add.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    Optimism in the developer community is definitely good too, especially with a lot of the bad press Apple has been getting for how developers are treated and the development process for the iPhone.

Happy initial developers lead to more applications which can definitely draw customers and more customers mean more developers interested in the platform. No that they have them interested, they need to make sure they do everything possible to keep them happy and interested.
    Thanks for bringing that point up!! It's a good one.

Apple is horrible to developers and it's going to backfire sooner or later. I've gone to Cydia for many of my apps already. I'm not a developer but reading about all the crap about restrictions and arbitrary approval and denial over stupid "standards" that seem to keep changing made me look elsewhere. There's also a report that Apple hasn't paid many developers. A BIG mistake if true!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    "I would say I have guarded optimism," he said. "It may go nowhere or it could be a huge success. But it's worth at least giving it a shot."

I think that says it all!
    Yeah this article is very good news for palm. Developer camps will create lots of intrest in creating Apps for WebOS. Which will be a key to the Pre's sucess!!
    This may help a little, but not a whole lot. InstantItems Application for Palm prē
    Quote Originally Posted by basrat View Post
    This may help a little, but not a whole lot. InstantItems Application for Palm prē
    Very cool, thanks for the link! Really looking forward to seeing how accurate they are when they say:

But if Runway is just another Time Management application, then the prprpr&#$275$; $is$ $just$ $another$ $mobile$ $device$. $Runway$ $takes$ $Palm$ $Synergy$$the$ $feature$ $that$ $brings$ $multiple$ $types$ $of$ $information$ $into$ $a$ $single$ $logical$ $view$$to$ $a$ $whole$ $new$ $level$.
    They say that the Pre is limited by being on only 1 network, but that's true of the iPhone, too. Just as the iPhone drove customers to AT&T (often *****ing and moaning about it), the Pre will do the same for Sprint, assuming the device itself is successful.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.