Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, don't flog me for this, but who else likes the fact that the latest release rumor is Jun 7th?

Here's why I like it.
    I currently have an iPhone 3g and I really do love it, there are some things I don't like about it and the Pre answers a lot of those wants.
    If it is released I would probably run out and buy it.

Now that the newest rumor is June 7th, the day before the Apple WWDC starts, I'm going to wait and see what Apple has to say.

If they announce a new iPhone I will have to take in to account what features it has and possibly re-evaluate my decision.
    If it's just the 3.0 OS being announced, or there's a new phone without the stuff I feel it's lacking, I'll still be getting the Pre.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, I'm actually moving AWAY from Apple.
    Last year I owned an iMac, two airport extremes, an airport express and the iPhone... now I own the iPhone.

Anyway, I love the fact that the Pre will be released later as it give me more of oportunity to see what else will be announced in June.
    Oh... plus my AT&T contract is up in June anyway.. haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    OK, don't flog me for this, but who else likes the fact that the latest release rumor is Jun 7th?

Here's why I like it.
    I currently have an iPhone 3g and I really do love it, there are some things I don't like about it and the Pre answers a lot of those wants.
    If it is released I would probably run out and buy it.

Now that the newest rumor is June 7th, the day before the Apple WWDC starts, I'm going to wait and see what Apple has to say.

If they announce a new iPhone I will have to take in to account what features it has and possibly re-evaluate my decision.
    If it's just the 3.0 OS being announced, or there's a new phone without the stuff I feel it's lacking, I'll still be getting the Pre.

I'm not an Apple fanboy, I'm actually moving AWAY from Apple.
    Last year I owned an iMac, two airport extremes, an airport express and the iPhone... now I own the iPhone.

Anyway, I love the fact that the Pre will be released later as it give me more of oportunity to see what else will be announced in June.
    Oh... plus my AT&T contract is up in June anyway.. haha.
    Well, unless you're just trolling, I'd say that your attitude is precisely why it may be a mistake for Palm to wait until June to release.
  3.    #3  
    Not trolling at all and I totally agree it's a bad move on their part.
    Regardless if it was the 17th of May or June 7th, if you are interested in the new Iphone you will wait for the announcement.

Don't BS yourself, 2 weeks vs ETF + money on a phone wasted you aren't going to jump ship if there is any chance in 2 weeks some uber announcement is going to sway you to another carrier. Especially if you already have a phone capable of 90%+ of what the Pre and every other PDA can do.

It doesn't matter, Palm knows it and Apple knows it. The damn Iphone has been out for almost 2 years now, you either have one and are on contract (not the primary Pre market), don't have one and are oblivious to these things (99% of the actual target market) or don't care either way and will go with whatever one you want regardless of contract, etf etc. (Small minority but vocal on boards like this).

It doesn't matter. The two weeks isn't going to do a damn bit of good especially given Apple's history of small incremental upgrades.
    Is it though?

I've been wondering. I just can't see a LARGE hardware revision from Apple. Really, at most I see storage increase (also price increase) and a better camera.

They already showed what the new OS can do, they aren't going to spring any major surprises like a new version of mobile OSX.

So, we know the Palm Pre is VERY comparable to version 3.0 iPhone...some say better....maybe the best press is the "iPhone vs. Palm Pre" articles/news segments etc. that it will generate.

I don't think Palm is looking to outsell the iPhone (they simply can't right now) but with free positive press of their phone to people who don't want an iPhone but then realize there is another option.....this maybe what they want.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    You're still saying that you are going to run out and buy it when it's released - in June - as if you know it will be all that you envision it to be.
    I did? I think you may have read the wrong post..

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Basically, you're itching to run out and buy SOMETHING as soon as its released, anyway, so why bother putting that much thought into it?
    Not sure how you jumped to this conclusion... did you even read the post before responding?
    I did? I think you may have read the wrong post..

Not sure how you jumped to this conclusion... did you even read the post before responding?
    Yes, that's precisely what you didn't say. In fact, I'd say the entire purpose of your post was to say that if the Pre were to release now, you'd be tempted to buy it immediately. If it releases within a week of a new iPhone announcement, however, you'd just wait a few days longer and see what's up--thus giving Apple a chance to steal you back with some new iPhone hardware.

And I can see a lot of people feeling pretty much the same way, and certainly I think iPhone owners like yourself will be in the minority. It will be people who _at that moment_ are on the fence about an iPhone who, today, could be swayed toward the Pre but, given a just a few days more wait, will give Apple that chance to wow them.

I think that's at least a credible position to take.
  8.    #8  
    Agreed wynand32..

I feel I have to appologize to everyone.
    By putting details about why I'm glad the release date is in June this thread turned into something it wasn't meant for.
    Maybe I shouldn't have put as much detail as I did.

It wasn't meant to be a Pre vs other phones debate, it was just to see if anyone else was happy about the newest release date move rumor, since there was so much negative about it.
    I hate how everyone around here is so defeatist about Apple, it is like they killed everyone's family. Now we have to cross the street and genuflect or else face the same fate.

In an ideal world Sprint and Palm want this thing released last year. They have no benefit in delaying unnecessarily, it only means weeks of lost revenue. They can't risk a half-baked launch, they need to get all the pieces in place in advance. Once everything is in place, they will move. I don't think this is some choice by Palm and Sprint to delay to late-May or June, I think it is simply they are not yet confident they have set the board completely yet. It would be worse for them to launch too early to avoid Apple and face horrible reviews for launch problems (whatever they could be). That would be more disastrous than launching close to WWDC.

If they have to launch near an iPhone announcement/launch, then so be it. They may not have wanted such an open challenge with the iPhone but the comparisons were inevitable anyway -- a close launch isn't making them more or less likely. I am hard pressed to see anything Apple does this year with the iPhone that will be more than just new tires on the old car. The UI isn't changing, there will be no hardware keyboard, there will likely only be marginal improvements over the previous iterations. (Yes I am aware of video-calling rumors related to the next iPhone, but it is a technology that really is still rather niche. Oh and copy & paste is only a groundbreaking new feature if you are Apple.)This isn't like going from iPhone 1.0 to iPhone 3G. Essentially, I don't think it is likely new people who have decided against the iPhone before will suddenly jump to the 3.0 in numbers like we saw for the 3G. Plus there will be people with 1st generation iPhones who have come to loathe AT&T who might be looking for a change or to be convinced to stay.

My point being, the iPhone reviews will be forced to include lines like, "nothing we haven't seen before." The Palm Pre will still have to compete hard with the iPhone in various categories, but hardware keyboard and WebOS plus sleek design make the Pre seem new and revolutionary versus Apple's iPhone interface which is popular but finally facing new fresh competition and looking haggard in comparison. Another company has finally managed to compete with Apple on the intuitive UI but has also made it look more updated and slick. Hell, I can see advertising right there, give iPhone users on the street a Pre to test for a few minutes and record the reactions. Or even just have a side by side comparison showing how much easier it is to do simple things on the Pre than an iPhone.

All I am saying is, everyone should be a little calmer about the WWDC thing. Is it ideal? No. But if that timing is what is necessary to ensure the smoothest launch possible, then so be it. If anything, I would rather Palm stand up and say I am not worried about the Apple launch because our product is that much better, than they delay or change plans to accommodate Apple.
    I got 30 days to try a Pre and pretty sure i'll know apple's plans within that time.
    Agreed wynand32..
    It wasn't meant to be a Pre vs other phones debate, it was just to see if anyone else was happy about the newest release date move rumor, since there was so much negative about it.
    Ya just don't get it do you?

1. Everything is a "Pre vs other phones debate"
    2. If Sprint came out with an announcement that they planned to release the thing tomorrow, but had decided to wait one more day because they can guarantee they will double ... nay treble, sales and subscribers by waiting another day, there would be negative comments about it. The only way to stop most of those negative comments is to release it immediately. Some of them, you would have to release it yesterday.

And give them a SERO plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    All I am saying is, everyone should be a little calmer about the WWDC thing. Is it ideal? No. But if that timing is what is necessary to ensure the smoothest launch possible, then so be it. If anything, I would rather Palm stand up and say I am not worried about the Apple launch because our product is that much better, than they delay or change plans to accommodate Apple.
    I suppose all I'm saying is that Apple has an uncanny ability to turn otherwise intelligent people into idiots (and no, I'm certainly not calling all iPhone owners idiots). It's like the emperor and his cloths--only Apple can seem to get away with calling cut and paste a new, wonderful feature, and implying that notifications are basically just as good as multitasking. Not only that, they say, but just because they can't overcome the battery and performance issues of multitasking, everyone else is stupid for giving it a try.

It's like my MacBook Pro. This thing is a freaking toaster. It's in a form factor that makes it absolutely perfect for use as a laptop, and yet it's made of aluminum--on purpose (!) to dissipate heat. I've felt like the frog who's tossed into a pan of water which is then brought to boil--at times, I've not noticed the heat increase on my legs and nether areas until it was hot enough to burn.

And yet, even so, Apple gets credited with having great--nay, unprecedented and unparalleled-- design acumen. Meh.

That's precisely what bothers me about the timing, seeing as how I'm someone who really, really wants the Pre to succeed. It's that Apple could announce that the iPhone will now include an LED flash, and people would act like it's the second coming of Christ. And into that marketing buzzsaw will go the little underdog Pre.
  13. joelpalm
    I am happy because I have to pay some hefty fines for court and probation, so the longer palm takes, the longer I have to stack up my pennies!
    I'm still not convinced there is enough evidence to prove that it isn't coming out in May. I am not sure why the OP is.
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    My point being, the iPhone reviews will be forced to include lines like, "nothing we haven't seen before." The Palm Pre will still have to compete hard with the iPhone in various categories, but hardware keyboard and WebOS plus sleek design make the Pre seem new and revolutionary versus Apple's iPhone interface which is popular but finally facing new fresh competition and looking haggard in comparison.
    Bingo!!! Add to that, WebOS (and the Pre) is a radical departure from Palm's dated OS.

Ladies and gentlemen, behind curtain #1 we have the same ol same ol you've seen for 2 years, dressed up a little nicer, but still your big brother's system that is "so last year". Behind curtain #2, we have the new device that not only is a radical departure from from your father's Oldsmobile, but is a faster, sleeker device than what your older brother is driving.

And if that's not enough for you, we'll let you test drive for 30 days to be sure it's what you want.

A lot of the current crop will want to step up from showing off their phone and hearing "Yeah, I hope to upgrade to the newer iPhone sometime soon" to "Hey, what is that???"
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I suppose all I'm saying is that Apple has an uncanny ability to turn otherwise intelligent people into idiots (and no, I'm certainly not calling all iPhone owners idiots). It's like the emperor and his cloths--only Apple can seem to get away with calling cut and paste a new, wonderful feature, and implying that notifications are basically just as good as multitasking. Not only that, they say, but just because they can't overcome the battery and performance issues of multitasking, everyone else is stupid for giving it a try.

It's like my MacBook Pro. This thing is a freaking toaster. It's in a form factor that makes it absolutely perfect for use as a laptop, and yet it's made of aluminum--on purpose (!) to dissipate heat. I've felt like the frog who's tossed into a pan of water which is then brought to boil--at times, I've not noticed the heat increase on my legs and nether areas until it was hot enough to burn.

And yet, even so, Apple gets credited with having great--nay, unprecedented and unparalleled-- design acumen. Meh.

That's precisely what bothers me about the timing, seeing as how I'm someone who really, really wants the Pre to succeed. It's that Apple could announce that the iPhone will now include an LED flash, and people would act like it's the second coming of Christ. And into that marketing buzzsaw will go the little underdog Pre.
    Yes and no, are there people like that? Definitely. But how many of those people who will jump at an LED flash as a whiz-bang feature don't already have an iPhone or are Apple loyalists? Without something significant from Apple, they will be able to keep the loyal, gather up a few more people here and there, but they could lose the disillusioned -- especially those disillusioned with AT&T, the iPhone's Achilles heel. Apple finds itself with a self-imposed problem, if you are the company of innovation you better innovate if all they do is marginal improvements eventually the emperor has no clothes. Will iPhone 3.0 be a success in the US? Undoubtedly, but the question is the make-up of the people buying and I am inclined to think a very large percentage will not be people new to the iPhone but simply people with existing iPhones re-upping.

If the Pre lives up to the hype or, even better, exceeds it, then Apple may have a larger percentage re-up/new customer ratio. It is also possible that some of the people who jumped at the first iPhone may be more inclined to look elsewhere as their contract expires to find a different service provider, and the Pre is the perfect lure.

Like I said, it's not ideal, but I would rather be Palm launching against Apple this year than last and I think if the device is anything near what all of us hope it is, then it should stack up well. Is that enough? We will have to see, but there is no reason to shy away.
    Apple.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post

And I thought my HP was too hot, yikes!!! Isn't that bad for the hard drive to have it get so hot?

As for no multi-tasking, I think the real reason is they would need a better, more robust battery, meaning a thicker phone. Design over function has been their motto for a while.

P.S. Back on topic: I seriously hate the fact that Palm may be releasing too close to Apple.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    This is a fantastic fight!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    And I thought my HP was too hot, yikes!!! Isn't that bad for the hard drive to have it get so hot?

As for no multi-tasking, I think the real reason is they would need a better, more robust battery, meaning a thicker phone. Design over function has been their motto for a while.

P.S. Back on topic: I seriously hate the fact that Palm may be releasing too close to Apple.
    I hate the fact Palm was/is not able to get this phone out earlier then the end of their launch window (Maybe...Cause who knows maybe it will be late). For one it is just not very good to give a 5 month window then not put it out until the End it just doesn't look like you have your act together.(And they should have had a good idea how buggy their phone was before announcing it!)
    Second New iphone coming out. It doesn't give Palm time to be the Latest and Greatest by itself. While I think the Pre is going to be great it is going to make it that much harder to convince people to go with a virtually Unknown device!.

So I guess my answer is no.. I do not like that it is not coming out in may!! Mostly because I want to play with it now!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast