Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I got 30 days to try a Pre and pretty sure i'll know apple's plans within that time.
    good point
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I got 30 days to try a Pre and pretty sure i'll know apple's plans within that time.
    I'd be switching from AT&T to Sprint.
    Is the 30 day thing only for Sprint people that want to try a new phone, or can I start a Sprint contract and get out of it within 30 days if the Pre disappoints?
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    I hate the fact Palm was/is not able to get this phone out earlier then the end of their launch window (Maybe...Cause who knows maybe it will be late). For one it is just not very good to give a 5 month window then not put it out until the End it just doesn't look like you have your act together.(And they should have had a good idea how buggy their phone was before announcing it!)
    Let me see if I understand your thought process.

Sprint says the phone will be out in the first half. They deliver the phone in the first half. That equals "they don't have their act together".

Interesting, to say the least...

So I guess my answer is no.. I do not like that it is not coming out in may!! Mostly because I want to play with it now!!!
    Ahh, that explains the thought process much better...
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    This is a fantastic fight!
    yes it is and let me be the first to "officially" FLOG him, hehe!!
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    I hate how everyone around here is so defeatist about Apple, it is like they killed everyone's family. Now we have to cross the street and genuflect or else face the same fate.

In an ideal world Sprint and Palm want this thing released last year. They have no benefit in delaying unnecessarily, it only means weeks of lost revenue. They can't risk a half-baked launch, they need to get all the pieces in place in advance. Once everything is in place, they will move. I don't think this is some choice by Palm and Sprint to delay to late-May or June, I think it is simply they are not yet confident they have set the board completely yet. It would be worse for them to launch too early to avoid Apple and face horrible reviews for launch problems (whatever they could be). That would be more disastrous than launching close to WWDC.

If they have to launch near an iPhone announcement/launch, then so be it. They may not have wanted such an open challenge with the iPhone but the comparisons were inevitable anyway -- a close launch isn't making them more or less likely. I am hard pressed to see anything Apple does this year with the iPhone that will be more than just new tires on the old car. The UI isn't changing, there will be no hardware keyboard, there will likely only be marginal improvements over the previous iterations. (Yes I am aware of video-calling rumors related to the next iPhone, but it is a technology that really is still rather niche. Oh and copy & paste is only a groundbreaking new feature if you are Apple.)This isn't like going from iPhone 1.0 to iPhone 3G. Essentially, I don't think it is likely new people who have decided against the iPhone before will suddenly jump to the 3.0 in numbers like we saw for the 3G. Plus there will be people with 1st generation iPhones who have come to loathe AT&T who might be looking for a change or to be convinced to stay.

My point being, the iPhone reviews will be forced to include lines like, "nothing we haven't seen before." The Palm Pre will still have to compete hard with the iPhone in various categories, but hardware keyboard and WebOS plus sleek design make the Pre seem new and revolutionary versus Apple's iPhone interface which is popular but finally facing new fresh competition and looking haggard in comparison. Another company has finally managed to compete with Apple on the intuitive UI but has also made it look more updated and slick. Hell, I can see advertising right there, give iPhone users on the street a Pre to test for a few minutes and record the reactions. Or even just have a side by side comparison showing how much easier it is to do simple things on the Pre than an iPhone.

All I am saying is, everyone should be a little calmer about the WWDC thing. Is it ideal? No. But if that timing is what is necessary to ensure the smoothest launch possible, then so be it. If anything, I would rather Palm stand up and say I am not worried about the Apple launch because our product is that much better, than they delay or change plans to accommodate Apple.
    ^^ This!

When's the best time to plant a tree? 10 years ago. When's the next best time? Today! ... or the day before WWDC, if you're planting Palm trees in Apple's garden.

I see nothing wrong with the Pre being released the day before WWDC at all. Reviewers will be forced to compare the two, which is going to put the Pre ahead. Even if Apple comes out with some snazzy LED flash, reviewers will note that the Pre has one also. What could the iPhone possibly have that the Pre doesn't?? I have a feeling that quite a few folks at WWDC are gonna have one word on their mind -- PRE! It's gonna make them lose focus. Yup!

Seriously, tho... I agree that Palm shouldn't be skurred. I see this having quite a few more benefits than releasing 3 weeks before WWDC. The only people who'll be upset are the people who have already made up their mind that they're buying a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Let me see if I understand your thought process.

Sprint says the phone will be out in the first half. They deliver the phone in the first half. That equals "they don't have their act together".

Interesting, to say the least...

Ahh, that explains the thought process much better...

Yeah it is intresting. Thanks for noticing. IT is very intresting that they gave such a large possible launch window especially since it looks like they are going to release it at the end of that Large window. What I can conclude from that is something went wrong as I'm sure Sprint/Palm want this phone to release as soon as possible. Then again maybe the large launch window was just to create hype/hope every month until the last month of the first half of 09..
    Yeah it is intresting. Thanks for noticing. IT is very intresting that they gave such a large possible launch window especially since it looks like they are going to release it at the end of that Large window. What I can conclude from that is something went wrong as I'm sure Sprint/Palm want this phone to release as soon as possible. Then again maybe the large launch window was just to create hype/hope every month until the last month of the first half of 09..
    It's already been pointed out, but this logic doesn't hold water. You think something went wrong because they hit the end of their launch window? That means things are going RIGHT as they are taking the time to fine tune the device to the last possible second before they break their word the public and deflate expectations.

Apple did the same with the iPhone by announcing a June launch in January and releasing at the end of that window.

It goes without saying that they want to release it as soon as possible, but "possible" means with rigorous testing and some good third party apps immediately available instead of full of bugs, no apps to extend the utility of the device, and bad first impressions all around...not "possible" as in as soon as it'll powerup without exploding and as soon as it rolls off the assembly line.
    Obviously, anyone is free to conclude anything they want. That doesn't make it valid. It certainly doesn't make it the truth.

My conclusion is that CES was a prime opportunity to announce the device. Taking advantage of "keynote" raised the hype even more. Unfortunately, keynote or not, prime device or not, Palm/Sprint didn't get to choose the date to hold CES.

Fortunately, they were smart enough and prepared enough to take advantage of it. Kudos to them.

Now, I want to see them deliver on their promise. I'm patiently watching.
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    In an ideal world Sprint and Palm want this thing released last year. They have no benefit in delaying unnecessarily, it only means weeks of lost revenue.
    I'm not too sure of this. Time, is not everything. Timing is everything.
    Know what i just realized, my "want-meter" for the Pre is all but fizzled. At the moment, i could care less if they released it yesterday or tomorrow. One would think that by now, Palm themselves do not know exactly when they're going to release it, or else they would have given a hint or something.

These kind of moves are what kill the buzz about some products. Also coupled with the buzz about Simply Everything Plans being required is definitely a turn-off for me. I wonder how many Instinct sales they lost due to that, and how many folks aren't getting the Pre if SEP's are foisted on all (like me). Economy's too tight to double my bill for no added benefit (my ancient plan has more minutes than the base SEP but costs less).

I would hope whoever runs the marketing dept at Palm knows that a new iPhone launches next month or so and if they are targeting that demographic they're doing a poor job of keeping some interested. I mention the Pre to some folks and they have no clue what i'm yapping about.

Keeping all this in mind, i'm already looking beyond the Pre to what other phone is launching on Sprint.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Obviously, anyone is free to conclude anything they want. That doesn't make it valid. It certainly doesn't make it the truth.

My conclusion is that CES was a prime opportunity to announce the device. Taking advantage of "keynote" raised the hype even more. Unfortunately, keynote or not, prime device or not, Palm/Sprint didn't get to choose the date to hold CES.

Fortunately, they were smart enough and prepared enough to take advantage of it. Kudos to them.

Now, I want to see them deliver on their promise. I'm patiently watching.
    I can agree with wanting them to deliver on the promise!.!
    And I'm glad that you agree both of our conclusions aren't necessarily the truth and/or valid and we wont' know until it is out and maybe not then so doesn't really matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Know what i just realized, my "want-meter" for the Pre is all but fizzled. At the moment, i could care less if they released it yesterday or tomorrow. One would think that by now, Palm themselves do not know exactly when they're going to release it, or else they would have given a hint or something.

These kind of moves are what kill the buzz about some products. Also coupled with the buzz about Simply Everything Plans being required is definitely a turn-off for me. I wonder how many Instinct sales they lost due to that, and how many folks aren't getting the Pre if SEP's are foisted on all (like me). Economy's too tight to double my bill for no added benefit (my ancient plan has more minutes than the base SEP but costs less).
    That seems like a pretty weird metric to gauge a smartphone by. The amount of minutes on your plan? When most carriers have evenings and weekends free along with free in-network calls? I mean, presumably you'd get a smartphone to get DATA services, and Sprint throws in a bazillion of them that go beyond just free internet.

And if you're getting a bunch of minutes and free internet for half the price of the cheapest Everything Plan, you're clearly on an ancient plan not designed for devices like the Pre. Sure...go ahead and complain and wait for Sprint to go under. Let's see how you like paying the SEP prices (and more) at other carriers for internet phones with less services offered.

I would hope whoever runs the marketing dept at Palm knows that a new iPhone launches next month or so and if they are targeting that demographic they're doing a poor job of keeping some interested. I mention the Pre to some folks and they have no clue what i'm yapping about.

Keeping all this in mind, i'm already looking beyond the Pre to what other phone is launching on Sprint.
    So your solution to waiting for the Pre without the info you want is...to wait even longer for future Sprint phones with established OSes that you presumably already considered before hearing of the Pre in the first place? Really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post

I have to agree with this because there is leak after leak of likely iPhone features. Even if only rumors, they know how to keep me interested by actually SAYING SOMETHING. I'm going to bet people will be looking at what they have to say at their conference. I now want to see if any of the rumors are true.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12