Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    In conversations about 20 folks , of which 10 are tech geeks , only 2 knew about Pre.

I want all the folks here to give the numbers. This will help gauge the buzz in the non mobile tech savvy community.
    Um its a weird number as I'm the tech guy that tells my friends of new gadgets.

But in my circle of friends, everyone know of the Pre cause I talk about it so much.

If 10 of your friends are tech geeks and only 2 knew of the Pre, I find it hard to believe they are actually tech geeks.

A simple visit to Engadget once a week will illicit a story about the Palm Pre.
    My father new, but that's just because somebody else told him. Of the likely dozens of people I've attempted to evangelize to, only a handful had any knowledge of the Pre.

Dear Sprint, time to start advertising the Pre - the network has had its due.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    no one that I have talked to knows about it...except my husband. I've told everyone I know...so now they know...but without me, no chance!
    About 1.(I say about cause he had heard of it but thought it ran WinMobile)

I feel like sprint/palm is looking at the internet and thinking "Oh look at all these people talking about the PRE on the intertubes" and not taking into account that most people that are talking about it keep up on such things and that normal people who almost all know what an IPhone is have no clue what a Palm Pre is.
    My family knows about it, because they know I'm waiting on it. My son-in-law and daughter (his wife) knew about it before me, because they both used to work for Sprint (she worked for them when it was first announced), and still have friends.

I don't talk about it much to folks, for one simple reason.

It's not available yet.

When it's available, it will sell, and be sold.

If you're looking for a number from me, I'd say everyone I talk to about it knows the details, my family, about 10 people all together.
    Other than people that work for Sprint....0

Sprint People that really knew about it...2

Sprint people that thought they knew about it but were confused with the Pro...4

So overall thats a -2
    ^ hahahah
    Nobody. And even the folks at work who I've mentioned it do don't remember it on a day-to-day basis. Of course, I'm surrounded by iPhone users, and they're just enamored with it.

I also can't get any traction amidst my Facebook friends. Five have bought iPhones since I started talking up the Pre a few months ago (not that I really expected to change their minds). There's not even any controversy when I throw a Pre comment into a "Just got an iPhone and love it!" thread.

Outside of the gadget community, I think it's safe to assume that the Pre's just an unknown entity.
    Well considering I've been telling people about it since January 9th, there wasn't one person that knew about it before I said something. I tell everyone about the Pre. Most people just laugh now and ask me the dreaded "when's it coming out" question. I get said and just say, sometime before June 30 It's really quite depressing to be such an advocate for the Pre and look like such an ***** when being asked a simple question about it. Hopefully Palm comes through and proves that I haven't been talking out of my **** for the past 4+ months.
    It's to be expected when launching something totally new and still a month or two away.

Not sure i'd blow a lot of money advertising my new cool product that only the gadget nuts really know about until it was ready to be sold.

The announcement of a release day and price will start things off IMO and probably won't happen til 2 weeks or so before actual launch. Since knowing this info is highly sought, its the best way to start the pre launch ads. Unless your LOST on an island somewhere, i'm thinking most will hear about the Pre in that span during the blitz as the mainstream media picks it up as well.

Sprint will be spending..
    0...and I work in IT.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post

If 10 of your friends are tech geeks and only 2 knew of the Pre, I find it hard to believe they are actually tech geeks.

A simple visit to Engadget once a week will illicit a story about the Palm Pre.
    good point , but you don't have to go to engadget to be called a geek. Some of these 10guys build PCs on their own, install linux on PS3 , jailbreak iPhone,...... the list goes on. But strangely they have not come across the buzz.

One of these 10 visits engadget , but not an an hourly basis but daily basis.
    He missed the original announcement.

My point is SPRINT and PALM are doing a horrible job of reaching the mainstream or ( middle FAT in Ed Colligan speak) customers for this device.
  15. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    About 1.(I say about cause he had heard of it but thought it ran WinMobile)

I feel like sprint/palm is looking at the internet and thinking "Oh look at all these people talking about the PRE on the intertubes" and not taking into account that most people that are talking about it keep up on such things and that normal people who almost all know what an IPhone is have no clue what a Palm Pre is.
    +1 ,
    Pre is still Pre - Historic.
    Folks I tried to talk up , simply ignored me by saying "we will see when it comes out". One of my friend who is a SPRINT customer, bought the original HTC TOUCH with high expectations on the phone comparable to iPhone. He doesn't like it now.

I would say SPRINT is doing a bad job of reaching the existing customers with the buzz , leave the fat middle.
    Not even sure how you get a buzz going with the general consumer.

They buy after its released and becomes known.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post

The announcement of a release day and price will start things off IMO and probably won't happen til 2 weeks or so before actual launch.
    Cardfan, don't you think two weeks is too little time to reach out to a fat middle of 100 million mobile users ?
  18. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Not even sure how you get a buzz going with the general consumer.

They buy after its released and becomes known.
    commercials on TV is a good starting point.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    None
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Cardfan, don't you think two weeks is too little time to reach out to a fat middle of 100 million mobile users ?
    No i don't. As it is, they'll be running short with supply at first.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast