Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
  1. dtokarz's Avatar
    Posts
    371 Posts
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    #21  
    Even though there was more buzz about the iPhone, I believe that their commercials started 2 weeks before the release date.
  2. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
       #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    No i don't. As it is, they'll be running short with supply at first.
    I agree they will be running short. IMHO most of these are the existing SPRINT LOYAL customers. I am not sure how SPRINT is going to attract new customers from ATT or VERIZON without reaching out to the "FAT MIDDLE folks.

    New customer will bring about 1500 dollars of revenue over a period of next two years. I don't see that happening here. All SPRINT is trying to do is get more money from existing customers with the data plan.
  3. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
       #23  
    my theory is
    1. SPRINT cannot attract many customers from ATT , as most of them are loyal iPhone users.
    2. Most of the Verizon customers are defected to ATT for the iPhone , and the remaining folks will not switch for Pre , which they haven't heard of or don't trust after their STORM debacle.
    3. T Mobile has G1, and relatively cheaper plans , so their customers will not defect to SPRINT.
    The more time I think about it the more I feel that
    A.Not many outside the forums know Pre
    B.Sprint is trying to make money from the existing customers first , then wait till the buzz reach to the FAT middle.

    But as of today , not many folks know about Pre.
  4. #24  
    Sprint, in two weeks, can do a lot with heavy advertising. I wouldn't underestimate that as being too short of a period.

    Most of AT&T customers are not iphone users. Not by a long shot. Most of verizon's customers defected to AT&T??

    I'm sorry, you've lost me. Of course Sprint will sell most to existing customers. That only makes sense. But they'll attract other carrier's customers as well. There's nothing on Verizon that is like the Pre but Sprint can roam off them...they'll be enticed.

    Some iphone owners are sick of AT&T or would like a cheaper plan. They'll give the Pre a look.
  5. #25  
    Actually the only person I told about it that didn't know about it previously was my girlfriend who got all excited when she saw the commercial. "And its a slider?"

    Surprisingly, a LOT of people at one of my jobs know about it and saw me reading about it at work and said "is that the Palm Pre" and an iPhone owner actually defended it.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    0
    I am with Tazz.
  7. #27  
    2 people knew about it. Other than that, the Goat is the word.
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
  8. #28  
    A couple of people said 'is that that new Sprint phone'... so at least that's something.

    What's really killing me is people saying 'Don't switch from the iPhone, you'll regret it' without knowing ANYTHING about the Pre.. just so ignorant.
  9. philipsv's Avatar
    Posts
    24 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #29  
    Everyone I know. And everyone at work.

    Because I keep talking about it .... Non-stop.

    But prior to my telling them, only one of my friends knew - former Treo user, and disappointed Palm Stock Investor. He saw the CES intro on TV, I think.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    my theory is
    1. SPRINT cannot attract many customers from ATT , as most of them are loyal iPhone users.
    2. Most of the Verizon customers are defected to ATT for the iPhone , and the remaining folks will not switch for Pre , which they haven't heard of or don't trust after their STORM debacle.
    3. T Mobile has G1, and relatively cheaper plans , so their customers will not defect to SPRINT.
    The more time I think about it the more I feel that
    A.Not many outside the forums know Pre
    B.Sprint is trying to make money from the existing customers first , then wait till the buzz reach to the FAT middle.

    But as of today , not many folks know about Pre.
    I think the problem with you theory is that it requires only smartphone users to want to switch to Sprint for the Pre. The market for all smartphones expanded from 17 to 23% in one year. The pre does not need to target existing smartphone users, it needs people still using dumb phones who now want to make the switch to an afordable smartphone. Sprint and Pre do not need to attract iphone, storm, g1 users - they only need to attract razr users - to be sucessful.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  11. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
       #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    I think the problem with you theory is that it requires only smartphone users to want to switch to Sprint for the Pre. The market for all smartphones expanded from 17 to 23% in one year. The pre does not need to target existing smartphone users, it needs people still using dumb phones who now want to make the switch to an afordable smartphone. Sprint and Pre do not need to attract iphone, storm, g1 users - they only need to attract razr users - to be sucessful.
    Well,
    Then they need to start advertising, Right ?
    I don't know how they can convert these RAZR folks if they keep waiting two weeks prior to launch.
    I can tell you one thing, in about three months time, APPLE, WInMo and RIM are coming up more interesting products.

    At this point ex PALM loyalists and existing SPRINT customers are the only ones that are going to buy.
  12. #32  
    0
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  13. davidtm's Avatar
    Posts
    564 Posts
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    #33  
    One, but he knew absolutely no specifics.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
  14. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    I think the problem with you theory is that it requires only smartphone users to want to switch to Sprint for the Pre. The market for all smartphones expanded from 17 to 23% in one year. The pre does not need to target existing smartphone users, it needs people still using dumb phones who now want to make the switch to an afordable smartphone. Sprint and Pre do not need to attract iphone, storm, g1 users - they only need to attract razr users - to be sucessful.
    Agreed. Most "experts" believe that the "dumbphone's" time is growing short. More and more people want a device that does much more than make and receive calls. So, the target is indeed the broader market of dumbphone users. However, I still feel that, at this point in time, with the Pre, Palm has neglected their most loyal supporters; the thousands of business people that use the Treo as a tool. While the Pre will have many of the same abilities, the holes created by the lack of a means of Hotsync are very glaring. The lack of an SD port is also suspect.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    ...
    However, I still feel that, at this point in time, with the Pre, Palm has neglected their most loyal supporters; the thousands of business people that use the Treo as a tool. While the Pre will have many of the same abilities, the holes created by the lack of a means of Hotsync are very glaring. The lack of an SD port is also suspect.
    I couldn't disagree more. More and more businesses are going to synchronize over the air. As more do it, it will become simpler. As it becomes simpler, more will do it.
  16. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. More and more businesses are going to synchronize over the air. As more do it, it will become simpler. As it becomes simpler, more will do it.
    I think you misunderstand me. I'm not talking about syncing contacts and calendars. I'm talking about data within the programs used on the phone, and to some extent, the programs themselves. To be honest, everything is really just conjecture until we all have a chance to use the device. There are just a lot of unanswered concerns in the minds of many people.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    I think you misunderstand me. I'm not talking about syncing contacts and calendars. I'm talking about data within the programs used on the phone, and to some extent, the programs themselves. To be honest, everything is really just conjecture until we all have a chance to use the device. There are just a lot of unanswered concerns in the minds of many people.
    The calendar/contact information is the start. An over the air back up system is being offered as well. I'd be willing to bet a paycheck or two that the systems will come that will fill the other voids.

    I'd also be willing to bet that they will not involve hooking the pre to a PC.
  18. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The calendar/contact information is the start. An over the air back up system is being offered as well. I'd be willing to bet a paycheck or two that the systems will come that will fill the other voids.

    I'd also be willing to bet that they will not involve hooking the pre to a PC.
    Again, we'll just have to see once it's out. However, it's unfortunate that these items are afterthoughts.
  19. #39  
    none - big fat zero
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post
    none - big fat zero
    I polled about 110 friends on facebook, most of then technophilic business people and especially highly connected roadwarriors, and two had heard of it -- and those two said the exact same thing, they would consider it if weren't on Sprint.

    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    don't you think two weeks is too little time to reach out to a fat middle of 100 million mobile users ?
    Yes that is the $64,000 question, the really dismal lack of buzz this late in the game.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions