Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Inside Sprint Now

One interesting thing i saw

Office 2007 – Any issues?

Nope. Go ahead, tell your boss about it, and bring it to work. Welcome to life with the Pre – it just works!
    Does this mean there is Office support right off the bat???

There’s been a lot of hype about the Palm Pre, and as we get closer to June the questions about it get more frequent. Here’s some of the more popular questions that I’ve encountered and am able to answer.

The backup feature, does it cost anything more?p9

Nope, it’s all included for free as a part of the service provided by Palm included with your Pre.

What happens to my phone when it’s in USB Mode?

All calls are routed to voicemail when the Pre is in USB Mode. Slight downer, I know – but how often are you really gonna have the Pre in USB Mode? And even then, not more than a couple minutes @ a time.

What IM services will the Pre support for real-time status indicators?

Google Talk (GTalk) and AIM at launch. Do you really know anyone without a Gmail address?

In the Calendar, can I choose my own colors for the appointments?

Yes! it’s easily selectable, or can sync with your Outlook category colors with Exchange.

What about the web browser, can I disable cookies?

Yep, it’s an option in the Web Preferences.

How do I get the calendar to do the cool ‘compress’ when displaying?

Simple! it just has to be a block of time that’s 2 hours or more.

Can you have multiple IM conversations going at the same time?

Yes, the possibilities are limitless – talk to everyone, share the Pre love!

Office 2007 – Any issues?

Nope. Go ahead, tell your boss about it, and bring it to work. Welcome to life with the Pre – it just works!

Can I use Pictbridge (wirelessly sending pics to a printer)?

There’s not a profile for it yet. Hang in there, grasshopper.

With the new webOS, what about virus protection?

The core is not open, and isn’t subject to any viruses, in other words, you’re covered!

What about Calltones?

Would you expect any less? It’s a network feature, so they’re 100% supported, no problems.

Can I save music as a ring tone for my Pre?

Sure, customize it all you want.

Family locator – can I track my son with his Pre?

While it’s great you’d get a Pre for your son (umm, sure!, lol), you won’t be able to track lil Timmy with it just yet using Family Locator.

Can I take videos with my Palm Pre?

Not at launch, but hang in there as great things are on the way, and as the Palm Pre uses the webOS, updates are just a gesture away!

Can I send pictures as a text message?

Using MMS, of course. You can’t however crop pictures yet, so be aware of any size limitations the receiving person may have with their device or carrier, or adjust the camera settings.

That’s all for now! Don’t forget about the folks over at SprintGurus, where you can discuss not only these Palm Pre FAQs, but anything Sprint related. I do monitor and reply to the comments here on the blog as time permits, but there’s a great community of people there that are very knowledgeable, and if you’re looking to discuss Sprint or the Pre, it’s the place to be!
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post

What happens to my phone when itís in USB Mode?

All calls are routed to voicemail when the Pre is in USB Mode. Slight downer, I know Ė but how often are you really gonna have the Pre in USB Mode? And even then, not more than a couple minutes @ a time.
    If this is true this sucks... They should have used the same setup HTC does w/ the diamond where the OS is on the rom and 4gigs of storage is completely separate. Also if that is true that would mean no USB tethering.
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    hopefully we'll find out even more FAQ stuff, Coal over at Sprint gurus said training officially begins on May 6th.
    Surprised Palm/Sprint hasn't shut this guy down yet.

"slight downer i know" And not really needed to be mentioned if you know it to be so. With so little info out, he isn't doing Palm or Sprint any favors by highlighting "downers"

BTW..first i've heard of USB mode..
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    He's referring to the USB mass storage mode when you plug it into a computer, I believe.
  6.    #6  
    Its prob only when "using" it to transfer, like hotsync, its only for a few minutes or so. Not that bad hopefully.
    Global Posts
    720 Global Posts
    The backup feature, does it cost anything more?p9

Nope, itís all included for free as a part of the service provided by Palm included with your Pre.
    This is the first I've seen about a backup feature or a "service" provided by Palm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    This is the first I've seen about a backup feature or a "service" provided by Palm.
    Its been discussed before...
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    He's referring to the USB mass storage mode when you plug it into a computer, I believe.
    I'm guessing that since you can use your computer to charge the phone that it's not always in USB mode when it's plugged in to your computer. I would hope that it either a) automatically goes into USB mode only when transferring data back and forth to the computer and automatically comes out of it when the transfer is done, or b) requires the user to select USB mode when he wants to transfer data and then de-select it when he is done.

But if it's always in USB mode when you plug it in to your computer, that is a major issue. Also if it's always in USB mode when it is "mounted" on your computer, that would be a major inconvenience, as keeping it plugged in to your computer would require mounting and unmounting on a frequent basis to move data back and forth.

I'm really hoping that it only goes into USB mode when data is actually being moved. That would not be so bad.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    .... Do you really know anyone without a Gmail address?
    Just checked my contacts list ... a total of three Gmail addresses. Seems it's not a very popular email device with the people I know.
    Dr J

Palm III --> Palm m500 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 (2 days!) --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p (Sprint)
    KayPro II --> IBM Portable --> Mac SE --> Mac Performa 6115CD --> Mac PPC 6500 --> Mac G4 (Yosemite) --> iMac G5 20
    This bothers me a tiny bit, hope they expand support soon:

What IM services will the Pre support for real-time status indicators?

Google Talk (GTalk) and AIM at launch. Do you really know anyone without a Gmail address?

My wife and I hardly call each other any more. We IM through Windows Live and SMS. So, Live support would be welcome.

I suppose we could switch to use GTalk in the interim...

There, have I got the really picky nit out of the way?
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr J View Post
    Just checked my contacts list ... a total of three Gmail addresses. Seems it's not a very popular email device with the people I know.
    I thought maybe I was the only one, so I really didn't want to comment on that quote from him. I have like 5 total.

I thought yahoo and hotmail was more popular
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I'm guessing that since you can use your computer to charge the phone that it's not always in USB mode when it's plugged in to your computer. I would hope that it either a) automatically goes into USB mode only when transferring data back and forth to the computer and automatically comes out of it when the transfer is done, or b) requires the user to select USB mode when he wants to transfer data and then de-select it when he is done.
    If it is anything like the other phones that act in a mass storage capacity that I have used, it goes in to mass storage mode. If you are just wanting to charge it, you can "eject the removable device" from Windows and it continues to charge but is no longer in USB mode. Back when I had my Voyager, you could change a setting on how it would act when connected to via USB but I can't find that option on my Instinct.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts

But if it's always in USB mode when you plug it in to your computer, that is a major issue. Also if it's always in USB mode when it is "mounted" on your computer, that would be a major inconvenience, as keeping it plugged in to your computer would require mounting and unmounting on a frequent basis to move data back and forth.

I'm really hoping that it only goes into USB mode when data is actually being moved. That would not be so bad.
    When you plug it in to usb, it will ask if you want usb mode or not, so you don't have to have it mounted if you don't want.
    I have a feeling that we will soon be able to put files, in a dropbox type of way, on a web server and sync them down to the Pre over the cloud. A cloud Hotsync if you will.

We will probably not even have to use the USB as much as time goes on. Just MHO
    Last edited by Paladin; 05/04/2009 at 11:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Surprised Palm/Sprint hasn't shut this guy down yet.

"slight downer i know" And not really needed to be mentioned if you know it to be so. With so little info out, he isn't doing Palm or Sprint any favors by highlighting "downers"

Well if Palm and Sprint would break their silence, people wouldn't be looking to read this guy's blog for what little info they can get.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    I thought maybe I was the only one, so I really didn't want to comment on that quote from him. I have like 5 total.

I thought yahoo and hotmail was more popular
    Like with all things, I think where you are from dictates your email usage.

ALL of my friends, i'm talking every single friend I communicate with daily has a gmail address that I know of.

I'm from New York. Everyone in my office keeps Gmail open to use GChat/Talk.

Also, Blackberry's are the phone of choice here, while I think the iPhone is the phone of choice over on the West Coast.

But yeah, its usually a strong love affair with google among the tech/business world.

And functionally, the Gmail is WAAAAAY better than Hotmail or Yahoo. Hotmail STILL doesn't do IMAP.

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    I thought that one of the most important principles of smartphone design was that when a call comes in the phone rings no matter what you are doing. Transferring files sometimes takes a while. You might open a file in your phone/USB drive to edit. You can't get any calls while you are doing it?
    No, not while data is being transfered. If its idle, i'm sure it takes a call.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Well if Palm and Sprint would break their silence, people wouldn't be looking to read this guy's blog for what little info they can get.
    Little info?

All we are waiting from on Sprint/Palm is release date and price.

There has been a steady amount of information released through blogs and "leaks" since the announcement.
    I still view much of that as rumor. What's true and what's not true still remains to be seen as far as I'm concerned.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast