Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46
  1.    #21  
    What I liked the most about that postis the mention of Office, just wondering if their own version, or from DataViz.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    What I liked the most about that postis the mention of Office, just wondering if their own version, or from DataViz.
    Well, there was that "Doc Viewer" application we glimpsed a while back. I'm hoping it will be DataViz, since they were listed as a launch partner way back during the CES unveiling.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    No, not while data is being transfered. If its idle, i'm sure it takes a call.
    I agree, in order for the data not to get corrupted while transferring, the call would have to be blocked. Other than that I think calls would still go through, even in idle.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I still view much of that as rumor. What's true and what's not true still remains to be seen as far as I'm concerned.
    And that is deliberate. When it's "leaked", and doesn't work out as planned, then it's deniable.

    What some of you folks are demanding would be counter-productive to Palm and Sprint. You can bet that changes will be made as to what this device will do, and how stable it is, right up to the time they start selling. I wouldn't be surprised if there are updates that are pushed down as soon as we buy them!

    There is some truth to the adage that as soon as a device is released, it is obsolete. I'm sure that both Palm and Sprint are trying to reduce this device's obsolescence by keeping their options open as long as possible.

    In addition, and "extra" features that are announced long ahead of time gives the competitors that much extra time to one-up them.

    Be patient. The device will be out soon. Nothing seriously indicates it will be any later than originally planned. When it's out, it will sell.
  5. #25  
    I'm pretty sure you will have an option to either have your phone charging by usb to computer or to just be in full usb mass storage mode.. I have that option on my instinct.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    I agree, in order for the data not to get corrupted while transferring, the call would have to be blocked. Other than that I think calls would still go through, even in idle.
    Do you know why? I mean, webOS has multitasking, so it's not like the data flow would necessarily have to be interrupted to handle the call, right?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Do you know why? I mean, webOS has multitasking, so it's not like the data flow would necessarily have to be interrupted to handle the call, right?
    It's not the nature of the OS that is the problem - it's the nature of the network.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    It's not the nature of the OS that is the problem - it's the nature of the network.
    No, no, we're talking about USB mode data transfer--no network involved in that.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  9. #29  
    I can't use ANY other functions of my blackberry curve when I am actually in the process of putting files on or backing it up on my computer.

    I don't recall being able to take a phone call while my 755p was in a hot sync.

    I really don't think you can take a call on your iPhone while the phone is syncing with iTunes.


    Its not an odd thing.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    I can't use ANY other functions of my blackberry curve when I am actually in the process of putting files on or backing it up on my computer.

    I don't recall being able to take a phone call while my 755p was in a hot sync.

    I really don't think you can take a call on your iPhone while the phone is syncing with iTunes.


    Its not an odd thing.
    Double plus true.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  11. #31  
    Quote

    What happens to my phone when it’s in USB Mode?

    All calls are routed to voicemail when the Pre is in USB Mode. Slight downer, I know – but how often are you really gonna have the Pre in USB Mode? And even then, not more than a couple minutes @ a time.
    End Quote

    USB and phone function are not user friendly , Very sad Pre not up to such a simple task.
    I guess my BB 8330 will get 4 more months of use till BB 9630 becomes available.
    Last edited by slingbox; 05/04/2009 at 03:52 PM.
  12. #32  
    Yeah, if THAT is stopping you from getting a Pre you were never in the market for one.
  13. #33  
    I think it's true for most phones that you cannot receive or make calls in USB mode.

    In AS/WMD mode, you can still use the phone on WM though. But there's no similar mode for the Pre since there's no true desktop sync, right? Although I really hope that changes.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    Yeah, if THAT is stopping you from getting a Pre you were never in the market for one.
    Not true..but feel free to come to that conclusion ,I will even throw you a "thanks" for your brain fart.
  15. #35  
    It probably works like a blackberry.

    You plug in the USB cable and it gives you a pop up "would you like to turn on Mass Data Storage?" And it says something like some parts of the phone may not function when in this mode.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    Not true..but feel free to come to that conclusion ,I will even throw you a "thanks" for your brain fart.
    SO you are constantly moving data back and forth from your phone? Are you serious?

    If you have a blackberry you can't make a phone call either when you are ACTIVELY exchanging data to your phone.

    You are saying, you are receiving phone calls so consistently that you can't for 2 minutes of transferring data let a call go to voicemail?

    REALLY?
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    SO you are constantly moving data back and forth from your phone? Are you serious?

    If you have a blackberry you can't make a phone call either when you are ACTIVELY exchanging data to your phone.

    You are saying, you are receiving phone calls so consistently that you can't for 2 minutes of transferring data let a call go to voicemail?

    REALLY?
    I tether ,Its pretty handy when accessing Internet using my notebook which I do a lot on the road and at home.
    My bb rings when doing so ,If pre does count me in
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    I tether ,Its pretty handy when accessing Internet using my notebook which I do a lot on the road and at home.
    My bb rings when doing so ,If pre does count me in
    No. Tethering and synchronizing are not the same thing. Not only that, one is not dependent on the other.

    Sprint will not have tethering available initially. That means for all practical purposes, the Pre will not (initially) be able to tether. However, most of us expect a hack to come soon. I also suspect that Sprint will have a service available soon.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    No. Tethering and synchronizing are not the same thing. Not only that, one is not dependent on the other.

    Sprint will not have tethering available initially. That means for all practical purposes, the Pre will not (initially) be able to tether. However, most of us expect a hack to come soon. I also suspect that Sprint will have a service available soon.
    So I will be able to access Internet on notebook using Pre and still get notification of incoming call while doing so?
    If Pre can do it I will buy opening second line...if not I will hold tight till hack becomes available
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by slingbox View Post
    So I will be able to access Internet on notebook using Pre and still get notification of incoming call while doing so?
    No

    Unless something changes, you will not "be able to access Internet on notebook using Pre".

    Thus "still get notification of incoming call" becomes moot.

    Read closely:
    The Pre will not (on it's initial release) be able to be used as a Phone As Modem device. No tethering.

    As to how things will work if/when hacks become available - it's hard to say. It will depend on how the hacks work, but I suspect that tethering will force incoming calls to go to VM.

    On the plus side - now you have another excuse to keep using your BlackBerry.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions