Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i love Sprint. best value in the industry bar none. only a fool would pay 50%+ more for vzw or att. i put the difference right in the bank every month. this is why the rich get richer.
    Someone who needs to use a true world phone needs to be on AT&T. Unfortunately they likely know that and that may be one reason for their prices.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Someone who needs to use a true world phone needs to be on AT&T. Unfortunately they likely know that and that may be one reason for their prices.
    1. that is a very small minute infinitesimal minority of US customers.
    2. Sprint offers loaner phones for world use.

now stop being so silly!
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I was going to let this go, since it's a little off-topic, but decided to go ahead and take the plunge.

Let me see if I understand this right - you're postulating that the first level customer service rep is deliberately keeping this information, ostensibly so Sprint can "rob" the customer?

Do you realize how silly that notion is?

That means that the customer service reps (I'm assuming that he doesn't get the same rep each time) would have be getting some sort of incentive from Sprint to continue to keep the plans a secret, and to continue hitting the higher charges.

I seriously doubt that. Accusations that the company wants to "rob" him are just silly. They're doing enough legitmate things to tick people off without speculating on nonsense like this.

I suspect more realistically, that there is something munged up on his account that's causing the problem. If he'll ask to go higher up the chain to fix it, he'll probably have more luck that just calling again each week.

Sprint makes a lot of mistakes, but in the years I've been dealing with them, I've found that if you are persistent and patient, the problems can get worked out.

I completely agree with you - I also have been with Sprint 10 years or more - if you describe your problem it will get fixed.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    T-Mobile has much more reasonable pricing on GSM in the US.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    1. that is a very small minute infinitesimal minority of US customers.
    2. Sprint offers loaner phones for world use.

now stop being so silly!
    I'm being serious. And who wants a loaner phone when you can buy an unlocked one to use on AT&T and then for whatever carrier of the country you're in?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    T-Mobile has much more reasonable pricing on GSM in the US.
    And a basically unusable 3G band, concerning most GSM phones. Which is too bad because they do have better prices. But GSM phones use 850/1900 3G if they're doing worldwide 3G. I heard Xperia was supposed to release a quad band 3G that included 1700, haven't seen it yet and it could be a dead idea.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTurboII View Post
    I like how the idiots say people are leaving Sprint because AT&T and VZW are so much better, where as Sprint lost 182k customers but between AT&T and VZW they gained 2.5 mil. Theyre obviously picking up new customers somehow, and theyre not all from Sprint.
    Sprint lost over a million post paid contract customers and a significant number probably went to AT&T or VZW. Sprint seems to be consistantly losing 1 million customers a quarter. They only show a new loss of 182k because they gained a large number of Boost pre-paid customers on their iDen network. This was because of their new offer of $50 a month for unlimited calling.
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTurboII View Post
    I like how the idiots say people are leaving Sprint because AT&T and VZW are so much better, where as Sprint lost 182k customers but between AT&T and VZW they gained 2.5 mil. Theyre obviously picking up new customers somehow, and theyre not all from Sprint.
    I don't really keep up with these numbers that well, but let me see if I understand correctly.

Apple claims 17.4 million iPhones have been sold. Let's assume an attrition rate of 20%, that leave about 14 million of them out there. Let's assume half of those are folks that would be on AT&T no matter what (I think both of those assumptiions are pretty generous). That means 7 million users on AT&T's network solely because of the iPhone.

So, am I understanding that were it not for the iPhone, AT&T would have lost about 4 1/2 million subscribers instead of gaining 2.5?

Interesting.

So, AT&T is gaining subscribers because of a phone that folks love, not because of their fantastic customer service, their wonderful worldwide network, etc?

Hmmm, maybe Sprint might do OK with a phone that folks will love.
    II suspect more realistically, that there is something munged up on his account that's causing the problem. If he'll ask to go higher up the chain to fix it, he'll probably have more luck that just calling again each week.

Sprint makes a lot of mistakes, but in the years I've been dealing with them, I've found that if you are persistent and patient, the problems can get worked out.
    In the many years I have been dealing with AT&T, any issues I have had were dealt with on the first call, no persistence or patience required. Verizon was not quite as good but were nowhere near as bad as Sprint appears to be based on your reply and the post you are replying to. You haven't sold me on the joys of Sprint.
    I don't really keep up with these numbers that well, but let me see if I understand correctly.

Apple claims 17.4 million iPhones have been sold. Let's assume an attrition rate of 20%, that leave about 14 million of them out there. Let's assume half of those are folks that would be on AT&T no matter what (I think both of those assumptiions are pretty generous). That means 7 million users on AT&T's network solely because of the iPhone.

So, am I understanding that were it not for the iPhone, AT&T would have lost about 4 1/2 million subscribers instead of gaining 2.5?

Interesting.

So, AT&T is gaining subscribers because of a phone that folks love, not because of their fantastic customer service, their wonderful worldwide network, etc?

Hmmm, maybe Sprint might do OK with a phone that folks will love.
    17 million global iPhone sales (not just AT&T in the U.S.)
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    In the many years I have been dealing with AT&T, any issues I have had were dealt with on the first call, no persistence or patience required. Verizon was not quite as good but were nowhere near as bad as Sprint appears to be based on your reply and the post you are replying to. You haven't sold me on the joys of Sprint.
    Sorry you extrapolated a single incident with Sprint to be representative to all of their CS, that was not my intent.

Also, it's great that your experience with AT&T has always been cleared up with a single call; but that too is anecdotal.

I've never had a billing problem personally with Sprint. The company I did IT work for did, but then they had about 2 dozen phones with them, and we were always pushing the envelope to get the "best deal", so it meant many changes, and thus many issues.

My dealings with CS at Sprint personally were all me calling them trying to improve my deal, and I never had any problem with them.

So, if we were making comparisons, I guess I'd have to say, I don't know why you've had to call AT&T multiple times over problems, I've never had any problems with Sprint on my personal account.

The truth is, we are a "price oriented" society, but still "demand" superior service. That doesn't mix. You want $1 hamburgers, you're going to get what McDonald's serves, and their service along with it.

The constant demand for lower prices results in lower paid first level support, and "automated" and/or scripted systems that work great when there are no problems, and are a headache when there are problems.

I learned a long time ago, that if you are lacking in patience, you should be prepared to pay for the superior service. If you want the lower price, you should be prepared to ocasionally have to exercies patience and persistence.

But then, I'm involved in an industry that provides the patience and persistence - for a fee of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    Sprint lost over a million post paid contract customers and a significant number probably went to AT&T or VZW. Sprint seems to be consistantly losing 1 million customers a quarter. They only show a new loss of 182k because they gained a large number of Boost pre-paid customers on their iDen network. This was because of their new offer of $50 a month for unlimited calling.
    The funny thing is that the majority of the 1.2 million postpaid were from the very same iDEN network that the prepaid adds from Boost Mobile came from. So there appears to be substantiation to Sprint's claims that deactivations from sinking businesses were what hurt them this time around. Straight-up CDMA defections seem to be slowing somewhat. Contract renewals were also up, and that should really jump once the Pre hits.

I'm not trying to make this seem like Sprint is having a rosy, wonderful day, per se. They still have a lot of work cut out for them, but their recent measures seem to be turning the corner, and if the Pre leads a steady lineup of hot phones that keep their healthy CDMA data ARPU steady and/or increased, they will do just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    17 million global iPhone sales (not just AT&T in the U.S.)
    I stand corrected (I noted I don't keep up with these things), but my point still remains.

I really don't think AT&T is gaining because of its superior network and/or service. I think it's a particular phone.
    I stand corrected (I noted I don't keep up with these things), but my point still remains.

I really don't think AT&T is gaining because of its superior network and/or service. I think it's a particular phone.
    I agree with you on that.

If price and availability of phones was the same on all carriers, I would most definitely be using Verizon.
    Not just the iphone itself. People then tend to put their families on AT&T, etc. Iphone for me, whatever phone for you..but all on AT&T. The iphone changed perceptions about AT&T. Regardless, its the crappiest network from personal experience.

Verizon likes to expand. It bought Alltel (think that's it) to boost numbers. It's got a solid rep of being reliable and has better relationship with RIM.

Sprint's key is to get WebOS and Android devices. The better marketing is here (somewhat) and has to continue and they're working on CS.

Everyone of course is headed toward 4g.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Sprint's key is to get WebOS and Android devices. The better marketing is here (somewhat) and has to continue and they're working on CS.

Everyone of course is headed toward 4g.
    I think Sprint has to start marketing the phones, too. The last phone I saw a Sprint commercial for was the Samsung Rant, which is a $49 dumbphone with some 3G features that was released more than six months ago.

Meanwhile, I see ads for iPhones, The Storm, the G1 (well, when it was released, anyway), Samsung's messaging phones for AT&T (the Impression, Propel, etc.), and Verizon's messaging phones all of the time. Does anyone even know what phones Sprint features these days?

Sprint's branded the "Now" network enough already.
    So, if we were making comparisons, I guess I'd have to say, I don't know why you've had to call AT&T multiple times over problems, I've never had any problems with Sprint on my personal account.
    When I signed up via Amazon, I had to call them twice about configuration problems. The first was getting data on my phone and the second was call waiting. All other calls have been to unlock phones, add international services to the account or to add/removing text messaging. Aside from those initial problems, there have never been errors to correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Not just the iphone itself. People then tend to put their families on AT&T, etc...
    You nailed that one! When my daughter quit working at Sprint, she and her husband jumped on the iPhone bandwagon. They then started trying to convince the rest of the family to switch to AT&T - obviously, they'd rather be calling family "in-network" rather than burning minutes. The family didn't bite. Most of my kids and their family were pretty well entrenched in Sprint, so that daughter does have to burn minutes to call the rest of us (her husband as well, they had convinced most of his family to go to Sprint originally as well).

I can't help but wonder what percentage of "early adopters" have become disillusioned in the same scenario? Of course, from what I hear, a lot of the friends and families may have changed.

Last night, I went to a basball game with that daughter (I'm not a baseball fan, but my wife is - it was an early Mother's Day present for her). The daughter regaled us for quite some time, both on the way to The Ball Park and back, with her "woopie cushion" app. The sad thing was that I couldn't stop laughing, I was really laughing at how much she enjoyed it, but I sitll laughed.

But, i digress. While AT the game, she did take pictures with her iPhone, and uploaded them to her Facebook account. I could have done the same with my Treo, but it was done more easily from her iPhone.

I expect that "battlefiled" to be leveled by the Pre, maybe even slanted Palm's direction. Probably the same is true of the "fart app", but I don't care so much about that.

What was relevant to this thread though, and the quote above, was the trip home.

Her husband asked me about the Pre. A lot. And said he wants to see it as soon as I get mine.

I did mention that they're both iPhone users, didn't I?

I think some folks are in for a surprise.

Soon.
    Sprint also has been lacking in the phone department as well as plenty of other departments. That said, the Pre should help some in that regard because as we have all seen phones can drive sales.

Sprint has a long way to go but they are on the right track.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    Sprint also has been lacking in the phone department as well as plenty of other departments. That said, the Pre should help some in that regard because as we have all seen phones can drive sales.

Sprint has a long way to go but they are on the right track.
    I don't necessarily agree with this. I think they've been lacking in the flagship phone department, but the Pre seems better positioned, more attractive, and just plain better than the G1 or the Storm. It's certainly generated more buzz and more positive reviews.

Otherwise, Sprint's got the best CDMA data average-revenue-per-user, and it's because their Windows Mobile lineup mostly smokes Verizon's. I think the Samsung lineup on Sprint (e.g. Rant, Instinct S30) is better for messaging dumbphones than Verizon's (e.g. the Samsung Glyde).

The thing is, Verizon publicizes their phones and sales on them every chance they get. Sprint hasn't phone advertised since the Rant (last October)and the original Instinct (before that). These Now Network commercials show people Twittering and using this service and that. But they don't connect the dots to the user on the devices to do it with. It's an incomplete message. EVERY Sprint commercial going forward should end by naming a device (hopefully, the Pre) that you can do all of this stuff with.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast