1.    #1  
    I currently use an original iPhone and am planning on switching the the Pre. Since the pre seems to use the internet liberally what will happen if it is checking email or calendar and someone calls will it throw them into voicemail or stop internet and ring? What happens now with current Sprint users? I really would like to have priority to calls.
    Only an active data connection will have an impact on calls. So, assuming that email and calendar and the like are all updated in the background (and are frankly tiny bits of data), then you shouldn't have issues with your calls being bounced.

I have a 755p on Sprint right now and the only time that data forces a call to voicemail is when I'm downloading a large page at that exact moment. Otherwise, the call comes through without issue.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I have an 800w which has the option of a voice call interrupting a data connection or not. You choose what you want it to do. That is WM of course, but maybe they have implemented this in webOS
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Actually, there are multiple factors that will determine what your phone will do if you are actively using the internet/data and a phone call comes in. In general, if you are in a 3G (EVDO) area, the data session will pause and the call will ring thru. Once the call is over, the data session should resume. This behavior also depends on the handset and settings that the manufacturer and the carrier (Sprint) agree upon as default. Many times you will be able to alter what your device will do in this situation via settings.

If you are in a 1X data area, the call will be sent to VM.
    I thought Sprint was updating their service to be more like AT&T. On my iPhone, I can be on a call and still launch Safari, or any other data software, and it works just fine. Calls don't bounce due to data connectivity. I was certainly planning on giving the Pre a try, but, it it can't do voice/data simultaneously, I may have to stay with what I have. I didn't realize how much I would use simultaneous voice/data until I had it.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    I thought Sprint was updating their service to be more like AT&T. On my iPhone, I can be on a call and still launch Safari, or any other data software, and it works just fine. Calls don't bounce due to data connectivity. I was certainly planning on giving the Pre a try, but, it it can't do voice/data simultaneously, I may have to stay with what I have. I didn't realize how much I would use simultaneous voice/data until I had it.
    When your iphone is on 3g your calls won't go to VM while you are using an active data session, but if you are on Edge (E) or GPRS (o) and are using data, calls will go directly to VM just like with 1XRTT (1x) on Sprint.

The PRE will not be doing VOICE + DATA simultaneously (with the exception of WIFI data sessions), and I'm ok with that.
    The Sprint Treo Pro's have this problem. No phone on Sprint (or Verizon for that matter) can run data and voice at the same time, without two separate radios. Obviously this is too expensive now a days, so its not used. The Sprint Treo Pro's have a problem with calls being missed, as in it doesn't ring and you get a miss call/voicemail alert. It's not yet known if it is a Windows Mobile problem or if its a data/voice problem, but from my experience based on what my phone was doing when I got the missed calls with no ring (email syncing, IE use etc.) the problem appears to be with Data/Voice. Most of the older phones would stop internet use and let the phone be used. This is the first device I have used and am aware of that has the data before voice problem. I am not sure how Palm handled this with WebOs, but seeing how they didn't have a problem with PalmOS, I would hope that would account for this and let the Pre be a phone first, internet monster second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro85 View Post
    let the Pre be a phone first, internet monster second.
    Personally I'd like the opposite as I hate talking on the phone and tend to screen many of my calls and decide if I feel like calling them back later. So hopefully it's a user selectable option.
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    Personally I'd like the opposite as I hate talking on the phone and tend to screen many of my calls and decide if I feel like calling them back later. So hopefully it's a user selectable option.
    You sound like a No Man.
    Only in the very long term as they replace CDMA with LTE. In the lifetime of the Pre, Sprint will not support simultaneous voice and data.
    That would be EVDO Rev A. It technically supports calls over VOIP, and thus could allow a data connection along side the VOIP (data) connection, but no CDMA carrier has implemented this capability, instead only opting to use Rev A for faster data speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Only in the very long term as they replace CDMA with LTE. In the lifetime of the Pre, Sprint will not support simultaneous voice and data.
    Sprint is not going LTE - they're supporting and deploying WiMax instead.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    That would be EVDO Rev A. It technically supports calls over VOIP, and thus could allow a data connection along side the VOIP (data) connection, but no CDMA carrier has implemented this capability, instead only opting to use Rev A for faster data speeds.

Sprint is not going LTE - they're supporting and deploying WiMax instead.
    Clear (51% owned by Sprint) is deploying a WIMAX network to offer both fixed and mobile internet service in the 2500mhz spectrum Sprint transfered to Clear.

Sprint operates a CDMA network with its 1900mhz spectrum. They gain a significant portion of their nationwide coverage from roaming agreements on the 850mhz spectrum held by other CDMA wireless carriers.

Those other carriers have committed to moving to LTE once their current FCC mandated CDMA roaming agreements with Sprint expire. At that point, Sprint can either follow the rest of the US wireless industry to LTE or face a significant reduction in the area where their subscribers can use their phones. Not to mention the issues they would have finding compatible devices once the rest of the 850/1900 carriers have moved on to a new standard.

The main issue you need to understand is that WIMAX has absolutely nothing to do with Sprint's core network. It is an addition, not a replacement.

There may well be phones with wimax support, just like there are phones with wifi support now. It is an additional radio used mainly for data connections. But Sprint's voice and data network is going to remain CDMA until they follow the rest of the industry to LTE in the 2013-2014 time frame. There is no other realistic option. Sprint is a small fish compared to the bigger 850mhz carriers here in the US.