Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    read the description - it sounds just like a Pre. however, i don't think Hawkins had any direct involvement in the Pre. i think it was Ruby's baby and back in 2005 Ruby was only a glimmer in Colligan's eye. but the Fooleo didn't have a super high-speed Internet connection, couldn't fit in a pocket, didn;t have gigabytes of storage, didn't have a superfast processor, nor audio, visual and multimedia - it couldn't even play youtube! even though the Pre was not his direct brainchild, was the PRE what Hawkins was envisioning here???

"There is a third business that I’ve been working on but I’m not going to tell you what it is. It’s in mobile computing. It’s something different and it’s in its early stage. We have three businesses at PalmOne. One you don’t even know about, which is just a child. Another is the teenager and the other one is the mature 45-year-old. … Not really. I’ll give you a couple of clues. I always think of mobile computing as personal computing. This long-term vision has led us through everything–first the organizers and now through the smart-phone space. It’s like everything a personal computer is. Continue down that path. What are the implications of a world where everyone has a super high-speed Internet connection in their pocket and many gigabytes of storage, superfast processors, audio, visual and multimedia? What are the consequences of that? How will that change computing when you have all that stuff available to you all the time? I try to think into the future.”

– Jeff Hawkins interview, Silicon Valley/San Jose Business Journal, July 8, 2005
    Like you said, what he described isnt the Folio.

Id say the one you dont know about became the Pre and the webOS concept. The Teenager is the Treo line and the 45 year old is the PDA business.
    And now, of course, the PDA business is dead and the Treo is on its deathbead. My, but Internet time moves fast.

I agree--that definitely sounds like the Pre. And, I'm just sort of surprised that it got here so quickly. Technology is great, when it works... Oh, and when they RELEASE IT!!!!!! GODAMMIT!!!!!!

Sorry. Had to get that off my chest.
    I've said all along, what he described wasn't the Foleo, but the concept behind it. The idea of having a smartphone with gigabytes of storage, and a bunch of Foleo/Redfly-like dumb clients as your only other computers, where the other clients would pull the data from off of your phone as soon as you were in range of them.

If you think the Pre as it currently exists was even a sparkle in Palm's eye back in 2005, you're probably crazy. After the Foleo incident, they pretty much scrapped everything they were working on and started fresh, if I remember correctly. I'd bet the Pre and WebOS didn't really take shape until 2007-ish, personally.
    The pre lacks the super high speed internet connection. I think he was talking in general terms about the plans they had, not about any specific products. The Pre is maybe a step on the path to the end-state he described.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Yes, he was just talking in general about what it's gonna be like to have a smartphone in your pocket in a decade.

We've been asking those questions for half a decade at TreoCentral. Your "personal computer" fits in your pocket, replaces keys, replaces your desktop, replaces your notebook, etc. All you need is a generic frontend (LCD, keyboard, & maybe mouse) of appropriate size (desktop, laptop, tablet, 50" big screen) to hook up to the backend (smartphone & media server). You wouldn't need keys when your car would just unlock when you're within five feet and lock when you're leaving the car. That would be less realistic.

I actually theorized a crazy idea that might be more plausible; we could have a new government, called technocracy... in which place, we have a direct democracy. Everybody could read & comment on all bills and eventually vote on them directly. There could still be 2 "other" branches of Congress... and Internet voters could be the 3rd branch, with 33% of the voting power. We wouldn't have the corporate welfare we see today with our plutocracy. Essentially, we'd just be empowered in unthinkable ways (well, unthinkable as of yesterday).

I think the infant Hawkins was referring to was WebOS, not the Pre. Close enough, but I'm sure they had some general idea, like Synergy, that they ran with... and the iPhone certainly affected several things that went into WebOS and obviously the design of the Pre also.
    sounds like webos and the pre
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    nah he had foleo in hjis mind then. he was speaking as to where devices were headed then.
    He stated all of that almost 4 years ago and never went back to clarify?

I'd say his third business was put on hold... or he was blowing hot air to drum up support for palm so they did not look like a 1 trick pony.

Could have been the pre though... who knows... could have been the same thoughts I had of a small phone with a projector, running full windows 15, with 100 gb of ram, and a 100 core cpu. All the palm of your hand.

It will happen "one day." Whatever.... just me thinking into the future. That is what we do. lol
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
    He was probably just talking about Palm Nova.....which if you search there is a video of it running on prototype hardware (read: a montherboard with a screen attached) that showed what the new Palm OS was going to look like.

Lets just say it was a minor improvment of Garnett.
    Tech Trader Daily - Barron’s Online : Palm: Will Foleo Be Revived As A Netbook?

This article seems to suggest it is possible that the Foleo will make a comeback.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    Tech Trader Daily - Barron’s Online : Palm: Will Foleo Be Revived As A Netbook?

This article seems to suggest it is possible that the Foleo will make a comeback.
    And once again, Bleah! A semi-capable, partial computer wannabe for the same price (and size) as a full up netbook computer. If true, it casts considerable doubt on whether or not Palm has learned to do market research.
    There have been how many rumors of Android being ported to netbooks?

Why not WebOS? A WebOS tablet companion would be a great alternative to a full size laptop for travel.
    Why would it be a great alternative? Most of my programs for work wouldn't run on it. Heck, no programs worth using would run on it that the Pre couldn't handle.

Foleo is stupid. For Palm to be considering any revival of it in any form means they haven't learned.

Who would buy this? Completely retarded especially for a company running on fumes.

That linked article said its being designed by 3 ex Ipod guys. Umm...why not design something to compete with an ipod touch? Apple sold enough to prove there's a market. And that's the bottom line. To make a profit.
    Foleo was st00pit, because it was a limited device. The whole purpose of the machine was for emailing. That was it. There wasn't even 1 GB of memory in the thing... it was pathetic.

Now, at the same time... I'll have to give the Foleo some credit on the form factor. The Foleo is what sparked the netbook craze. If only Palm realized what people use their computers for (besides just a large keyboard for typing), they coulda bumped up the memory, and it woulda sold like hotcakes. Palm has a history of being afraid to give the consumer more memory than he/she needs. Consumers WANT more memory, so give it to us... and it's ok if you charge more, because we'll still be getting our money's worth. Palm just never understood the definition of value.

A Foleo with a 64 GB SSD and a processor powerful enough to run Flash.... that is something I'd buy without thinking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    There have been how many rumors of Android being ported to netbooks?

Why not WebOS? A WebOS tablet companion would be a great alternative to a full size laptop for travel.
    there are more talks of android due to it being a "shipped" product... and it is from google... many want google to take on MS head to head... fight of the century.

At this point, most just want palm to ship a reliable phone.... then worry about other stuff later...

Hopefully web os will be a much better (ie polished) product than android. Looks like it right now... although, android look pretty smooth before launch as well...
    Last edited by theog; 05/04/2009 at 06:41 PM.
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  17.    #17  
    >The Foleo is what sparked the netbook craze.

this is a complete myth typically spun by palm apologists. REAL netbook predecessors existed long before the faux netbook Fooleo. see libretto, oqo, eee pc, and sony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post

this is a complete myth typically spun by palm apologists. REAL netbook predecessors existed long before the faux netbook Fooleo. see libretto, oqo, eee pc, and sony.
    Jeff Hawkins and the World's First Netbook - Columns by PC Magazine

I think you aren't giving Palm SOME credit.

They just delayed it far too long and by then the market it COULD'VE succeeded on, moved past them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post

The Foleo was unveiled in May 2009.

The Eee didn't hit the scene until early 2008.
    Sony has never made anything priced anywhere near the price-range of a netbook.
    Same deal as Sony with the OQO line.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  20.    #20  
    repeat this aloud one thousand times - "the fooleo was not a netbook." apples and oranges.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast