Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Hey guys, I did some thread searching on this topic, and didn't really come up with anything...

I was reading this...

The Official Palm Blog: The webOS developer community leaps ahead

And with all the talk of push tech. & Mojo...

I really Really hope that Palm come up with a Messenger program ala Blackberry due to the fact that many of my Blackberry friends say that they would not switch over to the Pre just yet, mostly because of the Blackberry Messenger.

A program like that would work alot better than SMS, faster and more reliable, and in my opinion start that real "kinship" among Pre/WebOS users...

Lastly, it would be great if Palm was able to come up with a compatible program with Blackberry Messenger, which I know would be up to RIM as well (but I have heard about a compatible WinMo program in the works)
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Palm's SMS threaded chat is pretty fast, simple, easy, reliable, open, and universal. why the need for some other proprietary system?
    The only way to use BB Messenger on another platform is through the 'Virtual Blackberry' or Blackberry Connect applications.

It isnt something that can just be added to an IM program.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Well, as I originally stated... Blackberry Messenger is used predominately by the Blackberry users that I know (many), and they have the ability to use SMS as well. They just like it alot more...

I'm not saying to lose Threaded SMS chat, but why not give WebOS users a choice?...

I def. would use a WebOS Messenger program over SMS amongst other WebOS users if given a choice.
    We absolutely do not need any more proprietary messaging protocols. It's about being connected with everybody, no matter what service or phone they use. I don't care about having some "kinship" with fellow pre owners, I care about communicating with people I already know.

It's already confusing enough with computer IM services with all the different protocols/clients ect. (pidgin is a lifesaver) We do not need that type of confusion in cell phones too.
    If they do it somehow that you can comunicate with BB mesenger, it will take away a lot of Blackberry addicts. There are a lot of my friends that wouldn't leave BB only because of that. And to be honest, that's the ONLY thing I'll miss from my BB when I get the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Palm's SMS threaded chat is pretty fast, simple, easy, reliable, open, and universal. why the need for some other proprietary system?
    SMS is not free.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    SMS is not free.
    BB Messenger is not free either. It uses bits of data to send messages similar to Short Message Service. BB messenger is just streamlined to be used with Blackberry's own server and not your cellular carrier.
    SMS is not free.
    the Sprint "Simply Everything Data" plans all include free Unlimited Text SMS Messaging, silly. i believe such a plan is required for the Pre.

welcome to 2009. welcome to the Now Network.
    SMS is not free.
    Since the Simply Everything or Everything Data plan will be required for the pre, and it includes unlimited SMS, it is free as far as the customer is concerned.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    screw bb messenger. i hope it and sms and basically all im protocols except xmpp die
    yea...the gtalk program on it. Thats instant like BBM and doesn't have character limits either. plus theres more people on it because its not limited to just blackberrys

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    Hey guys, I did some thread searching on this topic, and didn't really come up with anything...

I was reading this...

The Official Palm Blog: The webOS developer community leaps ahead

And with all the talk of push tech. & Mojo...

I really Really hope that Palm come up with a Messenger program ala Blackberry due to the fact that many of my Blackberry friends say that they would not switch over to the Pre just yet, mostly because of the Blackberry Messenger.

A program like that would work alot better than SMS, faster and more reliable, and in my opinion start that real "kinship" among Pre/WebOS users...

Lastly, it would be great if Palm was able to come up with a compatible program with Blackberry Messenger, which I know would be up to RIM as well (but I have heard about a compatible WinMo program in the works)
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    So GTalk, works just like BB Messenger?... I didn't know that....
    if it is that is pretty cool...

Meaning it alerts you when the other person is typing, etc?
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
    screw bb messenger. i hope it and sms and basically all im protocols except xmpp die
    And as much as I am pulling for Palm/Pre, (I have been a Palm addict for over 10 years), I can appreciate innovations from other companies and understand what other people like in their own devices...
    Currently with my Blackberry storm it Does NOT thread sms messages!!! my sms section is loaded with only a few names but TONS of messages.. i have to scroll and scroll just to get to yesterdays sms's... IT STINKS! My Treo 650 sorted and "threaded" them perfectly 3 years ago!!
    I can appreciate innovations from other companies and understand what other people like in their own devices...
    Having multiple devices and interfaces is fine and good. But when there are good, working, open and widely used protocols already out there to choose from there is no need to create more.
    So GTalk, works just like BB Messenger?... I didn't know that....
    if it is that is pretty cool...

Meaning it alerts you when the other person is typing, etc?
    not exactly, i don't think it'll tell you when they're typing/read the message...but i was just noting its close in the sense its instantaneous like BBM and without a word count, things SMS lacks. Hopefully the lack of notification when somebody is typing isnt make or break...seems like a silly feature to get that hung up on. But if BBM is that important, i would just suggest to that person to stay with their blackberry
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart603 View Post
    not exactly, i don't think it'll tell you when they're typing/read the message...but i was just noting its close in the sense its instantaneous like BBM and without a word count, things SMS lacks. Hopefully the lack of notification when somebody is typing isnt make or break...seems like a silly feature to get that hung up on. But if BBM is that important, i would just suggest to that person to stay with their blackberry
    GT does notify you when the other person is typing (no reading notification, however). Though honestly, so do most other IM services, at least they do through Adium on my Mac...
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Another thing that I like about the BB messenger is that you can send pictures etc through it. It something I will miss a lot moving to the Pre but I will have to just give it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ldfrombigd View Post
    Another thing that I like about the BB messenger is that you can send pictures etc through it. It something I will miss a lot moving to the Pre but I will have to just give it up.
    You do realize that that is essentially MMS. Being that the Pre will require an everything data plan MMS will be included, thus you wont have to go without this option.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast