Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    Please do an ounce of research before posting something as misleading as this. Try turning off your data and send a message through BBM to see if it goes through.
    that's the third time i've seen Eguy talk authoritatively on a issue and yet be obviously and completely wrong. stop talking out of your a$$ when you don't know something. continually giving people wrong information is annoying and dangerous.
    Yeah I don't know what Eguy is talking about. This is taken from a Crackberry Forum (http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/blac...oes-work-5877/)

Do I need a data plan to use BlackBerry Messenger?
    Yes, BlackBerry Messenger sends pin messages through the BlackBerry servers. A BlackBerry internet plan is required to use this functionality.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    The thing I have noticed, I guarantee that if Apple came out with a IPhone Messenger, you wouldn't have all the IPhone users complaining about 'another' unneeded protocol, or messaging program... they would pretty much all love and support it...

I'm not saying they are sheep, but as much as I actually hate Apple products, I fully appreciate how much their users love and support the products...

They don't start bashing a proposed new addition that would just give them more choices...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post

I'm not saying they are sheep,
    Yes they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    The thing I have noticed, I guarantee that if Apple came out with a IPhone Messenger, you wouldn't have all the IPhone users complaining about 'another' unneeded protocol, or messaging program... they would pretty much all love and support it...

I'm not saying they are sheep, but as much as I actually hate Apple products, I fully appreciate how much their users love and support the products...

They don't start bashing a proposed new addition that would just give them more choices...
    Listen, I doubt anyone would seriously complain about the feature.

But I think many people just don't see the need for Palm, as cash strapped as they are, to support it. Off the first model, it just doesn't make sense to do it. If they did it further down the line with more phones in the system, thats all well and good, but SMS/IM/EMail/Phone call I just don't know how many other ways you need to contact someone haha.

Group chat is nice in BBM however...but i've only used it fooling around.
    I will seriously miss BBM when I move to the Pre, and I'm sure I'll drop the Pre for the Blackberry Tour as soon as it comes out, unless someone develops a BBM app for the Pre.
    3000 Anytime + Mobile-to-Mobile + 7pm Nights & Weekends + Unlimited Data & PowerVision Services + Unlimited Text = $20 a month
    Blackberry 8330 - Paired with: Aliph Jawbone II
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyTurboII View Post
    I will seriously miss BBM when I move to the Pre, and I'm sure I'll drop the Pre for the Blackberry Tour as soon as it comes out, unless someone develops a BBM app for the Pre.
    that app can't/wont be developed
    Bah, until RIM actually rehauls their OS, I'm fine with staying away from blackberry for a while.

I like my Curve, but looking at some of these newer phones coming out and out now makes it feel archaic at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart603 View Post
    that app can't/wont be developed
    Why? RIM has offered similar solutions in the past. If there is sufficient demand for it, I suspect that RIM will either develop such an app, or allow a third party developer to. Of course, it will require a license on the BES, but that's expected - that's RIMs money cow.
    BBM is a proprietary system driven by RIM servers. I would be surprised if it were allowed using anything other than a Blackberry for people without an account.

The whole IM strategy is slowly moving over to xmpp (Jabber) where IM systems and messages can also propagate to other platforms. I'm sure several alternatives will crop up for WebOS after release.

edits underlined
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    BBM is a proprietary system driven by RIM servers. I would be surprised if it were allowed using anything other than a Blackberry for people without an account.
    BES requires a license even if you have a BB. I'm not 100% sure, but I think they are different divisions of the same company. It is in BES's interest to provide the capability, if there is demand for it. It increases their license count to have services available for other devices.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I know its an old topic, but any new thoughts?
    Good, Bad?
    Palm doesn't have the backend service to handle it I don't think.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    I feel that it was a 70 / 30 split towards people feeling its un-needed... but now that people actually have their Pre's... whats everyone feelings now?
    Nobody I talk to with blackberries is exclusive/idiotic enough to use it exclusively. If it works with SMS, who cares?

I agree, the last thing we need is yet another proprietary messaging protocol. IM and SMS is where it's at, and I don't think it's worth the effort to add another one into the mix.
    Palm III -> Visor Prism -> Dell Axim X30 Hi -> HTC Apache -> HTC Mogul -> HTC Touch Pro

Ev-Do Rev. A Tethered on my TP:
    Sorry to bring this dead post to life, but after reading BGR's Hands on with RIMís BlackBerry Application Suite on the HTC Fuze (apologies for no link, post count not up to 10 yet) I thought I would ask if anyone had heard anything about that software developing?

Or has anyone tried seeing if Blackberry Connect works using the Classic app?

My interest lies in the fact that I have a few friends that will ONLY use BBM to communicate because they just love it so much. I've been looking around to see if there are any sources to emulate it, or allow you to use an old BB Pin to connect to the system or something like that, but so far no luck in the slightest. It doesn't even look as if the BB App Suite was even released...
    Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P -> Palm Pre
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345