Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 96
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Young HoV 718 View Post
    yall do know that aim is also supported right?
    I actually wasn't sure on that because all I kept hearing was Gtalk but now I noticed the AIM entry on one of the contacts cards. As long as I can get through a day with decent use of everything (email, IM, SMS, talking, and web browsing) I'll be more than satisfied. I plan on buying the extended 1350mAh battery anyway.
    Last edited by EeZeEpEe; 05/03/2009 at 06:33 PM.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

    Sprint customer since 2001
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy_Lina View Post
    BB Messenger is not free either. It uses bits of data to send messages similar to Short Message Service. BB messenger is just streamlined to be used with Blackberry's own server and not your cellular carrier.
    Its free if I'm already paying for a Blackberry data plan.
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    the Sprint "Simply Everything Data" plans all include free Unlimited Text SMS Messaging, silly. i believe such a plan is required for the Pre.

    welcome to 2009. welcome to the Now Network.
    Thats great if your chatting with somebody else on Sprint. How bout if I want to have a convo with somebody on Verizon, AT&T, or Tmo? Or do you only expect Pre users to talk to other Sprint customers?
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart603 View Post
    yea...the gtalk program on it. Thats instant like BBM and doesn't have character limits either. plus theres more people on it because its not limited to just blackberrys
    The problem with replacing BBM with an IM program, is you have to assume the other person you want to talk to has the IM protocol you are using and is logged in. With BBM, you are always logged in.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Thats great if your chatting with somebody else on Sprint. How bout if I want to have a convo with somebody on Verizon, AT&T, or Tmo? Or do you only expect Pre users to talk to other Sprint customers?
    Umm....SMS (or text messages) can be sent to all carriers and unlimited texts are included in the Everything Plans. So there is no barrier there.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Thats great if your chatting with somebody else on Sprint. How bout if I want to have a convo with somebody on Verizon, AT&T, or Tmo? Or do you only expect Pre users to talk to other Sprint customers?


    I think you are confused.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post


    I think you are confused.
    Let me see if I can explain it to you guys. I have a plan on AT&T, Tmobile, and Verizon. On none of those do I have unlimited SMS. I suppose it is an option, but it is an expensive one. I guess you guys are only planning on chatting with people that have unlimited plans.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    Umm....SMS (or text messages) can be sent to all carriers and unlimited texts are included in the Everything Plans. So there is no barrier there.
    again, you are assuming the people you are chatting with have unlimited sms. I bet most dont
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Let me see if I can explain it to you guys. I have a plan on AT&T, Tmobile, and Verizon. On none of those do I have unlimited SMS. I suppose it is an option, but it is an expensive one. I guess you guys are only planning on chatting with people that have unlimited plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    again, you are assuming the people you are chatting with have unlimited sms. I bet most dont
    They don't have unlimited talk minutes either, but that's not going to stop us from calling them.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    again, you are assuming the people you are chatting with have unlimited sms. I bet most dont
    OK.....but you made it sound like there was some massive technical barrier rather than a plan issue. If someone I am talking to has limited texts usually I know and if I don't know I call before risking the text (whether they have limited minutes or not). At the end of the day though there is only so much you can do, if they really are opposed to texts they can get them blocked and if they are that limited they can not respond.

    I guess I am just failing to see your point.
  11. #51  
    The point is to draw negatives from a non issue for most people.

    I'll miss BBM like I miss Direct Connect.

    Useful when you have it, but you won't really think about it anymore once its gone.
  12. #52  
    Oh, I'm so glad that direct connect fad is over. Nothing annoyed me more than having to hear everybody else's conversation.
    /vent
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    They don't have unlimited talk minutes either, but that's not going to stop us from calling them.
    Don't they all have the ~$99 unlimited talk + text + data bundle?
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  14. ipsi's Avatar
    Posts
    119 Posts
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts
    #54  
    In agreement with those saying 'No BBC-style thing for the Pre'. So many goddamn messaging programs and protocols out there it's already a major pain to deal with. I need 3 different programs on my Win Mob device, as none of the ones I own supports everything (Skype, FIM, and IM+, for Skype, Facebook, AIM, MSN and GTalk), and that's in addition to a Twitter Client, an Email client and an SMS Client (admittedly, the last two being the same program). It's getting a bit excessive.

    Asides, it won't be terribly useful for me. Chances are good no one else will buy a Pre (And neither will I, if that $999 price-point is true), so I'd really rather it was avoided altogether.

    The biggest reason to avoid using text messages is if you have many friends outside the US you want to talk to, I guess. Me, I'll use SMS for communicating with people who don't have smartphones (Doesn't cost to receive text messages in most places outside the US, far as I'm aware), and data for everything else.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Don't they all have the ~$99 unlimited talk + text + data bundle?
    I think he was referring to the average Joe not having unlimited talk time.
  16. #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by ipsi View Post
    I need 3 different programs on my Win Mob device, as none of the ones I own supports everything (Skype, FIM, and IM+, for Skype, Facebook, AIM, MSN and GTalk), and that's in addition to a Twitter Client, an Email client and an SMS Client (admittedly, the last two being the same program).
    I agree that another proprietary program is dumb, and it's also against Palm's philosophy with the Pre of open interaction between partners.

    But anyway the main reason I replied... It's off-topic, but have you tried Fring?
    Using your handset′s internet connection, you can interact with friends on all your favourite social networks including Skype®, MSN Messenger®, Google Talk™, ICQ, SIP, Twitter, Yahoo!™ and AIM®. You can listen to music with your Last.fm friends, check out what each other are up to on Facebook, receive alerts of new Google Mail™ and tailor make your very own fring by adding more cool experiences from fringAdd-ons™.
    I'm not sure it can actually do Facebook IMs or not though. I think it's just to check your mail there and stuff.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Its free if I'm already paying for a Blackberry data plan.
    You do realize that free means their is no payment for something at any time. If you pay for it that negates the term "free".
  18. mrkalel's Avatar
    Posts
    739 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
       #58  
    I find it weird of all the bad feelings towards a purposed Messenger program...

    Just cause roughly the 100 BB users that I know absolutely love theirs
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  19. #59  
    BB Messenger has a lot of features that cant be replicated by SMS.

    Inline file and picture sharing. Delivery, typing and read confirmations. Group chat. 2 button presses can send your location to a contact instantly. International use without additional fees from the carrier. etc. etc.

    It is a very good program. But I agree that the last thing Palm needs is to further Balkanize messaging standards.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    OK.....but you made it sound like there was some massive technical barrier rather than a plan issue.I guess I am just failing to see your point.
    I did? Please show me where.

    My point is BBM is very popular because every Blackberry has it, you are always logged in, and its free (assuming you are paying for the blackberry service). Just because the Pre doesn't have it, there is no reason to try to diminish BBM.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions