Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 96
  1. #21  
    I love BBM on my Curve. The Goat has been saddened by the loss of it when I get the Pre.

    BUT...

    I tried out GTalk on my Curve just for fun to see how well it worked. I actually like it better than BBM. (I also don't want people to know that I've read their message... That is annoying because they expect an immediate reply.)

    So yes... Check out GTalk all Blackberry users. It works great on our phones and it seems that it won't be a difficult transition when we jump on the Pre boat.
  2. #22  
    GTalk does work really well on Blackberry's. My friend has the program on her phone and the response is almost instantaneous. It's like she's on a home computer.
  3. mrkalel's Avatar
    Posts
    739 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
       #23  
    I wanted to try out GTalk on my 800w, but its not compatible, so I guess I'll wait for the Pre...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    I love BBM on my Curve. The Goat has been saddened by the loss of it when I get the Pre.

    BUT...

    I tried out GTalk on my Curve just for fun to see how well it worked. I actually like it better than BBM. (I also don't want people to know that I've read their message... That is annoying because they expect an immediate reply.)

    So yes... Check out GTalk all Blackberry users. It works great on our phones and it seems that it won't be a difficult transition when we jump on the Pre boat.
    Yeah BBM is a MAJOR plus for BB's. I wish someone could hack it for other phones
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    GT does notify you when the other person is typing (no reading notification, however). Though honestly, so do most other IM services, at least they do through Adium on my Mac...

    oh ok. i wasn't sure if the mobile version did that..i've only used it on the computer, which it does there, but i didn't see any typing notification in any demos on pre, but that could just be because its all pre done responses
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart603 View Post
    oh ok. i wasn't sure if the mobile version did that..i've only used it on the computer, which it does there, but i didn't see any typing notification in any demos on pre, but that could just be because its all pre done responses
    I don't know that it does, but I doubt it will. Personally, I won't mind, since I can multi-task and go do something else while I wait for a response!
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  7. #27  
    saying we don't need another proprietary protocal misses the point of the PRE synergy
    bbm would just be an added option for reaching some contacts
    additional protocals just enhance the pre experience, instead of adding complexity
    Last edited by errhead; 05/03/2009 at 02:32 PM.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by errhead View Post
    saying we don't need anothe proprietary protocal misses the point of the PRE synergy
    bbm would just be an added option for reaching some contacts
    additional protocals just enhance the pre experience, instead of adding complexity
    Considering that webOS will support the addition of "first-class" Synergy data sources like Plaxo, assuming a developed can get his hands on the requisite protocols it wouldn't be a stretch to add an additional proprietary messaging system to the webOS mix. I can see Windows Live, AIM, ICQ, etc all eventually making their way not just onto the Pre, but into webOS.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  9. mrkalel's Avatar
    Posts
    739 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
       #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by errhead View Post
    saying we don't need anothe proprietary protocal misses the point of the PRE synergy
    bbm would just be an added option for reaching some contacts
    additional protocals just enhance the pre experience, instead of adding complexity

    100% my thoughts...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by errhead View Post
    saying we don't need anothe proprietary protocal misses the point of the PRE synergy
    bbm would just be an added option for reaching some contacts
    additional protocals just enhance the pre experience, instead of adding complexity
    Synergy is to simplify what is already complicated, and that is way too many protocols. What would be the point of creating another? Just to say, and look we simplified it even more? It doesn't make sense. It's another login, another ID and it's exclusive to the pre, where as with AIM and Gtalk, when I sit down to my computer I can turn them off on the Pre and use my PC.

    Now all of the sudden I've got messages coming into my phone, which I may not be paying attention to, and my computer. People don't want to get in touch with my phone, they want to get in touch with me.

    Unless there is something that the current protocols do not provide, there is simply no need for creating another redundant system.

    Now, if Palm wanted to create their own XMPP servers for users who do not want to use gtalk that's fine. Users can communicate using XMPP with different servers, and PC xmpp clients could be able to sign in to the palm servers. But please, no more protocols unless there is a real advantage to doing so.
  11. #31  
    I have a blackberry now...it would nice to have the BBM feature, but then again, I really wont miss it all to omuch with threaded IMs/SMS.

    Thats really why i like BBM....cause blackberry SMS isn't threaded, but BBM is.
  12. sub150's Avatar
    Posts
    193 Posts
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    #32  
    Does GTalk not use an internet connection like AIM? If you use Meebo don't you have to be connected to the net, which drains the battery fast... I figured GTalk would be the same way.
  13. mrkalel's Avatar
    Posts
    739 Posts
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
       #33  
    I am assuming all of these programs must use a Data connection...
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    I am assuming all of these programs must use a Data connection...

    Unless you use wifi... Yes and if you get the proper plan you should have no need to worry your little self.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    I am assuming all of these programs must use a Data connection...
    BBM does not use data, it is just like sms but all blackberry's can talk to each other for free.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

    Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  16. #36  
    From all the demo videos and such it seems that the pre is designed to have an almost constant active data connection. In the videos when someone pulls up a contact they can immediately tell if they're online in a messenger, meaning that the pre must have already been signed in to the messenger. I don't know what this will do to battery life, but this was always my impression of how the pre would work.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    From all the demo videos and such it seems that the pre is designed to have an almost constant active data connection. In the videos when someone pulls up a contact they can immediately tell if they're online in a messenger, meaning that the pre must have already been signed in to the messenger. I don't know what this will do to battery life, but this was always my impression of how the pre would work.
    that's the impression i get too. it seems that synergy and the (web) cards require it. webOS and the cloud sounds great in theory - but maybe in the real world the 1150 milliamp battery might disagree.
  18. #38  
    BBM is cool and all but it limits you do only people with Blackberrys. I'd rather have an AIM app since, although a good number of friends use BBM, ALL my friends use AIM. As already mentioned, battery life is definitely an issue and I wonder if there could ever be an AIM app that could run as well as BBM in terms of battery.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

    Sprint customer since 2001
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    BBM does not use data, it is just like sms but all blackberry's can talk to each other for free.
    No, BBM uses data. You can see when someone is typing or has read your text message.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    that's the impression i get too. it seems that synergy and the (web) cards require it. webOS and the cloud sounds great in theory - but maybe in the real world the 1150 milliamp battery might disagree.
    IT doesn't require it, but it works best when you are logged in. My current Blackberry's battery lasts rather long even with Gmail logged in.

    Basically, its not a constant connection I don't think but instead checks the server every once and awhile to update the status of it when its in the background.

    The pre most likely does the same thing. Checks the server anytime you open up a contact.
  20. #40  
    yall do know that aim is also supported right?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions