1.    #1  
    I just noticed, watching youtube vid, that you can also look up a contact IN the contacts tab by starting to type the individuals name. In the video at about 2:35. Just thought I'd throw that out there.
    If you woudnt be able to do it, it would of been a downgrade from previous Palm products. They said they took all simplicities from Palm OS and transfered it, plus they added more, so yeah, this didn't have a seperate thread because it shouldn't be news.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki View Post
    If you woudnt be able to do it, it would of been a downgrade from previous Palm products. They said they took all simplicities from Palm OS and transfered it, plus they added more, so yeah, this didn't have a seperate thread because it shouldn't be news.
    It was news to me! Unlike you I have owned all of one Palm product and that was years ago. Therefore your comment is null and void in my case, and I am sure many other cases. Next time bypass a thread with info you deem to be useless. It will save me from having to read your useless comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassy_Lina View Post
    It was news to me! Unlike you I have owned all of one Palm product and that was years ago. Therefore your comment is null and void in my case, and I am sure many other cases. Next time bypass a thread with info you deem to be useless. It will save me from having to read your useless comments.

Man O Man.. Lets all just calm down a little bit... Believe it or not the type letters as it sorts and finds the contact is one of the features i love about palm... It's been a feature for years and years!! just shows how ahead they were before they got lazy.

But I'm glad you discovered it! One more reason to get that Pre!!!!
    I am sorry I offended you, just got up then so was a little cranky. Thanks for posting.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    That does make looking up contacts more convenient, but from my understanding it even goes a step further in that the universal search feature lets you start typing without opening any specific application and any match will come up as you type, including contacts.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbcmd View Post
    That does make looking up contacts more convenient, but from my understanding it even goes a step further in that the universal search feature lets you start typing without opening any specific application and any match will come up as you type, including contacts.
    You're correct, no need to open up the phone app, or contacts to begin looking up a contact, just start typing and it will begin to search.

Thanks for posting the video Sassy, I can't ever get enough Pre videos
    Last edited by JimmieGeddes; 05/03/2009 at 11:42 AM.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    Man O Man.. Lets all just calm down a little bit... Believe it or not the type letters as it sorts and finds the contact is one of the features i love about palm... It's been a feature for years and years!! just shows how ahead they were before they got lazy.

But I'm glad you discovered it! One more reason to get that Pre!!!!
    i didn't realize many phones didn't have the feature where you can type letters to get to a name faster once you're in contacts. even my piece of crap moto q does that
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart603 View Post
    i didn't realize many phones didn't have the feature where you can type letters to get to a name faster once you're in contacts. even my piece of crap moto q does that
    I was surprised that this was included with the Pre being that they have Universal Search. This is typical of phones, for the most part, I just never noticed that in any videos demoing the Pre. I suppose my focus should have been more on noticing something "new" i had never seen demoed, then the actual "act" itself. I digress.
    Group hug !!
  11.    #11  
    Group hug !!
    *runs to you in slow motion with hair blowing in the wind*
    LOL
    I'm in ;-)
    LoL at least lets have a few drinks first... LoL j/k
  14.    #14  
    LoL at least lets have a few drinks first... LoL j/k
    I think somebody just wanted to use the "cheers" smiley.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I too had noticed that you could search the contacts by typing. I wonder if you can do the same in all of the other basic apps--calendar, notes, tasks. I constantly use the find function on my Palm TX, especially in the calendar. Hope it works the same on the Pre. (Can't tell if the Universal Search finds appointments in calendar or if it only finds apps and contacts on the phone....)
    Group hug !!
    Quote Originally Posted by klynngullo View Post
    I too had noticed that you could search the contacts by typing. I wonder if you can do the same in all of the other basic apps--calendar, notes, tasks. I constantly use the find function on my Palm TX, especially in the calendar. Hope it works the same on the Pre. (Can't tell if the Universal Search finds appointments in calendar or if it only finds apps and contacts on the phone....)
    I can't wait to find out!
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Ow! That fall hurt! How did they turn me into a smiley?
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
    In addition to typing the name in, you can also type in initials and the phone should be able to pick up contacts.

With current Palm OS phones you can do this and it makes looking up contacts very easy.
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products
    Quote Originally Posted by nojok3 View Post
    In addition to typing the name in, you can also type in initials and the phone should be able to pick up contacts.

With current Palm OS phones you can do this and it makes looking up contacts very easy.
    Not the 755p. It's the only Palm phone that forces you to press the option key before dialing numbers. I have it set to contact names first, then numbers after pressing option. I've been trying to figure out for 2 years why this feature was removed.

It's one of the original features that defined a "smartphone" and made me think I had a truly revolutionary product in my hands. I miss my Treo 300.