1.    #1  
    So I hate this whole "compare the Pre to iPhone" thing, but I've been thinking about Palm's release, and wondering if there plan is to wait until after WWDC and the information that is released about the iPhone.

Are they waiting to hear the price point before they set the price for the Pre so it can compete?

Are they waiting to hear the improvements of the iPhone and its selling points so they can focus on certain things in their advertisements?

I don't have any experience professionally with these things, but I know that if a competitor of mine was going to do something and I had the option of knowing all of their information I'd wait as it might encourage me to do something differently.

Just some food for thought as we patiently wait... and wait... and wait
    Good point. Could be something they could do.

I just don't think Palm would really want to go toe to toe with Apple. Even if Apple puts out a less than superior phone, Palm does not have the supestardome to even try to go toe to toe with them advertising wise.

If that is their marketing model... Then they need to re-think really quick.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheGoat View Post
    Good point. Could be something they could do.

I just don't think Palm would really want to go toe to toe with Apple. Even if Apple puts out a less than superior phone, Palm does not have the supestardome to even try to go toe to toe with them advertising wise.

If that is their marketing model... Then they need to re-think really quick.
    Maybe they'll go for middle of June? Far enough after the iPhone announcement but soon enough before the new one comes out to lure people?

Not launching in May seems very dangerous to me.
    I doubt that very much! After all, if they want to base their advertising model on what the new competitor is going to have, they would be wasting all sorts of time. No, in my opinion they have everything in place.

We'll find out.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    I doubt that very much! After all, if they want to base their advertising model on what the new competitor is going to have, they would be wasting all sorts of time. No, in my opinion they have everything in place.

We'll find out.
    In your opinion is it just a matter of waiting for the shipments to come in? Or is there something else that would require them to wait.
    I doubt that palm would wait for apple to annouce thier plans for the new iphone in june. The pre according to the rumors are already shipped out from the factories in china and should be within the states now. As for the price iono but I dont think it is that big of a deal because prices are always adjustable once the product is for sale.
    I'm not entirely on the "Palm must start advertising to beat the iPhone" train, but I don't think waiting until the next-gen iPhone pricing is firm makes sense given Palm's expected launch (2Q09.) I'm not a marketing major, but I think you'd have to start advertising details such as price at least two to three weeks before your product launch, and if you wait until June 8, 2009 (Side-note: No guarantee AAPL announces next-gen pricing at WWDC)... you're really pushing your 2Q09 goal.
    No I don't think Palm will wait at all. They are aimed at totally different markets. The iPhone is aimed squarely at the consumer market, just look at the ad campaigns in magazines, on the web and on the TV. The Pre is aimed at the business sector, again look at the ads on the web, it's features like Synergy on the calendar. Totally aimed at business people at their business life's first then their personal life's second.
    Honestly I think there is room for everyone. I don't think palm's intention is to go head to head with Apple. The media (blogs and such) are making them fight. Palm has a product that will appeal to different individuals, maybe some iPhone folks, but I really think the Pre is aimed at a different demographic. That being said Palm isn't stupid either. They know this is make it or break it time. I think it's all about getting their ducks in a row. They need their Pre launch to go off as flawless as possible. Their proposed delay is simply them ensuring their company's survival. No more no less.
    I was thinking for awhile, what are the chances that because Palm hired some ex apple people and at least a few of them are probably still in touch with some old Apple employees and are somehow getting inside info from them. Is that possible?
    I think people worry too much about apple or try too hard to make it Palm vs Apple.

It goes without saying that Apple will probably maintain or improve their sales. Palm should also meet their goals assuming the product holds true to what we hope it is from demos.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Well, here is a list that I hope the Pre surpasses Apple (not the battery part, though ).

Gizmodo - JD Power and Associates Ranks iPhone First Among Smartphones in Customer Satisfaction - Jd power and associates survey iphone
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    Well, here is a list that I hope the Pre surpasses Apple (not the battery part, though ).

Gizmodo - JD Power and Associates Ranks iPhone First Among Smartphones in Customer Satisfaction - Jd power and associates survey iphone
    Ugh, all Apple products get high satisfaction even if they have glaring issues.

The iPhone 2G was an average phone at best yet everyone was satisfied with their drop calls I guess.
    One of the real problems is timing. If lets say they had the product ready and APPLE was say 3 months from one of their shows (MacWorld, WWDC). Palm's release of the Pre would not be that much of a problem.

Now we have Palm show off the Pre at CES and announce it for first half 09. Everyone is chomping at the bit to get one but we have to wait. I guess no one at Palm looked at what was coming up in that time frame. Instead they lock down tighter than fort knox. So now we are left here with APPLE announcing probably their next gen phone just a month away. Meanwhile crickets are louder then anything from Palm.

Someone should be shot for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mech1164 View Post
    I guess no one at Palm looked at what was coming up in that time frame.
    Really? I think this is very unlikely.
    Am I the only person who thinks it's a good idea to release the phone right before apple's announcement??

I mean... it's a good idea, because people are going to be comparing the two regardless. And if the Pre really is better in every way possible, excluding the App Store... I don't see what could be so revolutionary at CES. I've been wrong before about Apple, but I don't see what else they can add to the iPhone besides more storage. If someone hears about the Pre-lease, then the Pre news dies down and they hear about the new iPhone features, and their upgrade time is in 2 months... they'll probly still have that new iPhone article in their mind. If both Palm and Apple release their info at the same time, reviews will take Palm seriously for actually going toe to toe with Apple... and give them the respect they deserve by giving a fair & comprehensive comparison, in which case it'd be hard not to fall in love with the Pre after said comparisons. The only thing that gives the iPhone a lead is the App Store, which Palm will help build up over time.

What reasons do you guys have for shakin' in yer boots?

EDIT: I forgot we were talking about Palm for a second there. They were destined to fudge the launch of ALL Treos, but I think the Pre might actually give new life to what Palm is capable of when designing from the ground-up.
    I think it is sad that RIM, MS and Palm keep letting Apple make the conversation about APPLE instead of their own products. The Pre is in a different class. Palm and Apple are going after different audiences, really.

I really hope that Palm and Sprint learn from the Instinct marketing disaster and put Apple in the back of their mind.