Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    When I heard about the possibility of a potential Palm netbook that would run on webOS a couple days ago, I was pretty excited about the possibilities. The new operating system is what will help make the Palm Pre/Palm Eos in my opinion. After my initial excitement wore down, though, I thought about the current glut of netbooks already in market. What could Palm do to separate its netbook from the rest of the market? It seems that Palm was truly ahead of the curve when it first announced the original Foleo, but now, it may have missed the boat completely.

With another 48 hours of thought, Iíve come up with a few ideas that could make the Foleo2 a true smartphone companion. I would make the hardware similar to that of the eeepc 900 or 1000 series netbooks that have both a decent size hard drive and a decent amount of RAM. Also, I would make sure there is a video camera installed. Then, I would want to figure out a way to make the computer work as an extension of the Palm Pre/Palm Eos. By that I mean that when the netbook is open, it works as the phone. It can access the mobile carriers data network, send and receive text messages, and send and receive phone calls. With a camera installed in the hardware, the potential for video conferencing and video messaging exists.

A person could be sitting at their Foleo2 netbook using the Sprint 4G internet service (or, if near a router, wireless internet), and get a text message that pops up on the screen. The person can answer on the Foleo2 right on the computer. Set the netbook up with a Bluetooth headset, and you can search all contacts, and make phone calls through the computer similar to using skype on a home computer.

I think it would take time for people and developers to realize the full potential of having a phone and netbook that automatically sync with each other. It would be even bigger if someone comes up with a way to translate Microsoft documents into the webOS system. There are plenty of possibilities if Palm creates the Foleo2 to be a true extension of the Palm phone. Potentially, the Foleo2 could act as the phone when you have it open, which I think would separate it from other netbooks that currently exist.
    Does this require a whole new "Folio" platform? Or could all this be accomplished with software on a current note/netbook?

Therein lies the failing of the entire "Folio/Smartphone companion" idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Does this require a whole new "Folio" platform? Or could all this be accomplished with software on a current note/netbook?

True, but Palm will have to do something different if they want to separate themselves from the quickly crowding netbook market. Thoroughly integrating it with the phone could make it different, especially if the phones themselves are popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post

Yeah, I mentioned this in the Foleo2 Picking up Steam article's comments, but what if Palm was to instead of doing a Foleo2, develop a Synergy desktop application that gives the major benefits of WebOS (combined view for calendars, contacts, messaging) and accesses the cloud directly, or for the things that only exist on your phone, accesses the Palm Backup server? I think this would be much more useful than another Foleo (which at the time I was a big fan of the concept of).
    I just don't get the Foleo, who in their right mind would pay $399 for a laptop with spec's that look like this:

Processor: 416MHz Intel PXA27x
    RAM: 256MB of non-volatile memory, about 128MB for data and applications
    Graphics Processor: Marathon 2700G graphics accelerator
    Storage: Compact Flash (CF) maxing out at 2GB; Secure Digital (SD) maxing out at 2GB;Support for FAT16 and FAT32 formatted USB Flash drives
    Networking: 802.11b Wi-Fi and Bluetooth v1.2

Let's look at this another way what if I told you Palm was launching a large screen phone (think HTC Touch HD) with a horizontal sliding keyboard it costs $200 and has a minimal processor, 128MB of memory, an SD slot, no cell radio but uses your Pre to connect your contacts and apps. You can make calls with it because it has a speaker and mic and connects to your Pre. Would you buy a phone "accessory" with a bigger screen and keyboard to augment your existing phone? But here's the kicker other companies are coming out with "Net Phones" basically same form factor but have larger storage and have a real processor, radio, wifi and bluetooth for about the same price.

I like Bryanharig's idea of making the Foleo a software app but even then I think the time for such a thing has passed. If palm is still stuck on this Foleo idea then use the Synergy model and make the Foleo a cloud app.

Think about it.

Your Pre syncs to a Foleo cloud app. You can logon from any device that accesses the web and have your Pre on the web. All your applications and personal data. This wouldn't even be that hard since the Pre is just a web server to begin with, it's a natural extension of it. I would also add the ability to utilize calling and data from your Pre to this web app. This could facilitate video conferencing on devices like laptops that have built in cameras and mics. You wouldn't need to backup your Pre or it's apps to anything because it already is backed up on the cloud. If you loose your Pre, the minute you turn on your replacement Pre it syncs to the Foleo cloud and your back like nothing happened. Tech support could better assist Pre issues by looking at your Foleo profile. You make the Foleo idea a service and then charge a monthly fee.

What do you guys think?
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    If I am carrying around 2 devices I want a close to standard keyboard that a Foleo would provide that an MID could not supply. I see no reason to have MID's...like what is the advantage? If you can carry around a MID, you can carry a 9" netbook.
    I think the specs from the foleo1 aren't very relevant. That technology is over two years old. Current technology is light years ahead of where the Foleo was then. It's by far cheaper and easier to make a netbook like product with a better processor and more RAM than that product had.

I'm seeing the Foleo2 as an extension of the phone. All the apps built for webOS you can use on a larger scale on the netbook. You can type e-mails, text messages and take notes all while using the Spring network. It's more of a convenience factor. Current smartphones (and the future of all cell phones) are pretty much little computers. However, they are too small to be comfortable to use at all times. For an on the go person (I envision sales people), a portable computer that syncs to their phone automatically, has the ability to access their internal business software, and can do all of this over a cell phone wireless data network would be wonderful.

There is potential there. It all depends on how Palm decides to implement this product.
    Currently, my main concern is to integrate a Pre with my life.

Back to the topic, conceptually, there is a great place for a Foleo (Fol, in keeping with current Palm naming trends) like device, that does the following things:
    • connected via WiFi and mobile tech
    • surf
    • email & IM
    • office documents, PDF, CHM, and a few other other bizarre file formats.
    • video & music
    • management (editing and such) of mobile phone data
    • has instant on
    • has battery life of 24 hours.

All these are possible (give or take a few) with the Pre. The last two are vital. Nothing to prevent the same things from happening on a Foleo like device, hardware and software-wise.

The reason for such "tethered" or "satellite" devices, is some things are easier to do with a smaller device and some with the larger device... Imagine holding your laptop to your ear to make a call. A more important thing is to have the same data available seamlessly on both devices without syncing, or clouding (new word, eh?), or connecting or whatever.
    I really like the idea of an instant on netbook
    Quote Originally Posted by jdag View Post
    I think the specs from the foleo1 aren't very relevant. That technology is over two years old. Current technology is light years ahead of where the Foleo was then. It's by far cheaper and easier to make a netbook like product with a better processor and more RAM than that product had.
    The rumor is that Foleo2 will have similar specs to Foleo1:

"Now Electronista claims to have a few more details. They cite "analyst" Tip Chowdhry, who says that the next Foleo will sport similar hardware as the original Foleo, use an ARM processor and a Qualcomm Gobi chipset for on-board 3G, and have 8-10 hours of battery life."
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    The reason for such "tethered" or "satellite" devices, is some things are easier to do with a smaller device and some with the larger device... Imagine holding your laptop to your ear to make a call. A more important thing is to have the same data available seamlessly on both devices without syncing, or clouding (new word, eh?), or connecting or whatever.
    What I'm trying to understand from people who like the idea of a Foleo is why a Netbook with the same form factor as a Foleo at the same price isn't more appealing especially if there was a Foleo app or Cloud you could access. To me it sounds like your paying the same price for less with a Foleo. The whole reason why I bought the Treo 300 when it first came out was because it freed me up from having to carry a phone and a Palm Pilot everywhere. I just don't see myself carrying around a Foleo and a laptop when I travel. It sounds to me that some people just want an instant on laptop.

Far as clouding, you don't have to connect or sync to see and use the data. Take a look at Google Gears. And wouldn't a Pre be even more integrated in your life if you could access the data not just from one specialized device (Foleo) but any device?
    Am I missing the point here? I thought that the Foleo was effectively a large display and keyboard for palm devices. i.e. the phone was the cpu of the Foleo. So mostly you'd use the Pre, but if you had a big spreadsheet to view or edit or were in an office then you'd just flip open your Foleo and use that. Instant on, light and very long battery life.
    Quote Originally Posted by paulpenny View Post
    Am I missing the point here? I thought that the Foleo was effectively a large display and keyboard for palm devices. i.e. the phone was the cpu of the Foleo. So mostly you'd use the Pre, but if you had a big spreadsheet to view or edit or were in an office then you'd just flip open your Foleo and use that. Instant on, light and very long battery life.
    The Foleo would be its own stand alone unit with its own processor and hardware. I think one reason that people are interested in a product like the Foleo is the webOS. It's a new operating system that seems to have quite a lot going for it. A Foleo netbook would be a pared down notebook that has instant on and runs in sync with the Palm phones.

I think the Foleo has some interesting aspects that deserve a closer look, mainly because the webOS seems to be a fantastic operating system. I think it could have some very cool features that integrates the phone and computer like no current system in existence.
    What you need is the Kanutinator interface.

The Kanutinator has a huge throughput of 1000 gigabits per second and is proven compatible with both the non-existent Pre as well as the non-existent Foleo2.

In fact, the Kanutinator is compatible with any devices that Sprint hasn't been released yet, and is targeted for release the first half of this century. So far it is still right on schedule.
    Here's my real problem.

The Pre and WebOS has been heavily promoted in that you don't need to have a desktop sync. It syncs with the cloud. No computer needed.

The Foleo talk I hear is that it'd be wonderful in that it syncs with your Pre? Really? How are you going to sell this? Doesn't every other Netbook or computer sync with other smartphones including the old Palm OS? Wouldn't your Netbook or computer also sync with the same cloud that your Pre syncs with?

Can't existing Netbooks (or lappies) already browse the internet sufficiently or run some needed apps?

I don't get it. Who's going to buy a Foleo with webOS in this glut of a market? Why would Palm want the nightmare of supporting it? And after being down this road (sort of) in the past, its a road they should steer clear of as even the mention of coming out with a Foleo like device is likely to spark laughter.

There's other things Palm could or should do waaaay before pondering this dumb idea. A Pre PDA? Or a Pre PMP? (the ipod touch basically plays alone in that market). A non-kb mini Pre?

Palm needs to sell webOS gadgets and do it on gadgets & phones that people will BUY. A cheap PDA would be appealing to a segment and help sell the OS. A PMP would help sell the idea that this OS can do media/music (crucial considering people don't associate an ipod like device with Palm). But just entering the Mp3 player market would help change that perception and pay dividends for Palm's other products like the Pre.

BTW..a foleo software app could be good. Although isn't that just another word for a desktop sync or similar to itunes? Palm should definitely have their version of itunes.
    Last edited by cardfan; 05/03/2009 at 09:25 AM.
    IMO Palm should focus all resources on smartphones and services for the foreseeable future and forget about the Fooleo.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Palm should definitely have their version of itunes.
    No, no, no! The reason I don't have an iPhone is because I hate iTunes and I refuse to be locked in to using some proprietary software to get full use out of my device. Appearing as a USB drive is perfect, Amarok as well as a variety of other media players can do intelligent syncing with a simple external drive and I using Linux am not forced to hack around to make it work. I am buying the pre specifically because it makes use of the web services I already have directly and does not require me to use their software or services.
    i'll probably just set up a folder on my PC with all of my files and then set up a Windows Briefcase on the Pre. Right Click and select "Update Briefcase" and you have a fast simple easy sync of all your files onto the Pre.

the only biiitch will be fumbling with that little microUSB door and connector. too bad the touchstone can't transfer DATA too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    the only biiitch will be fumbling with that little microUSB door and connector. too bad the touchstone can't transfer DATA too!
    Use bluetooth or wifi. As long as it's on the touchstone, no battery issues to worry about.
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    Use bluetooth or wifi. As long as it's on the touchstone, no battery issues to worry about.
    SLOW
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast