Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1.    #1  
    I have not seen anything on this topic so here's my question:

    Can the Pre dial toll-free vanity numbers like 1.800.DRAPERIES or
    1.800.FLOWERS, like the blackberrys can?

    On a Blackberry I know that to dial a phone number that spells a word , you simply hold down the shift key while entering the name. When the call button is pressed, the BlackBerry automatically converts the word number into the phone number and the call is connected.

    So there is no figuring out 2 = abc 3 = def, etc.....

  2. dtokarz's Avatar
    Posts
    371 Posts
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    #2  
    If the numbers AND letters are printed out on each button, what is the difference?
  3. #3  
    It would make sense on the BB since you dial with the integrated keyboard-keypad, but the Pre uses a virtual keypad so it's unnecessary.

    But this feature should've been on the 680/Centro though.
  4.    #4  
    It's just so easy to dial them on a blackberry. Its really cool and you don't even have to think about which numbers to dial.

    If its not protected by BB then they should include it in their software as an added feature.
  5. #5  
    I've always hated when businesses give their number that way, even dialing from a regular phone. I would rather have the number, rather than doing a letter number match each time.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

  6.    #6  
    I know but its so easy to remember word numbers that why i like them so much. Its easier to dial the number but harder to remember.

    Like when a van drives by or a commercial is on tv and I am am trying to grab a pen but I don't and I forget the number. That drives me crazy!
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by philmc View Post
    I have not seen anything on this topic so here's my question:

    Can the Pre dial toll-free vanity numbers like 1.800.DRAPERIES or
    1.800.FLOWERS, like the blackberrys can?

    On a Blackberry I know that to dial a phone number that spells a word , you simply hold down the shift key while entering the name. When the call button is pressed, the BlackBerry automatically converts the word number into the phone number and the call is connected.

    So there is no figuring out 2 = abc 3 = def, etc.....

    I would love this feature.

    I dial numbers with the keyboard rather than the virtual keypad because I'm less likely to misdial. When I get a phone number with letters in them, I have to switch to the virtual keypad, and I have to hunt and peck. It'd be great to be able to use the keyboard exclusively.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dtokarz View Post
    If the numbers AND letters are printed out on each button, what is the difference?
    The letters on the keyboard number keys do not correspond to the letters on a phone's number keys.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    The letters on the keyboard number keys do not correspond to the letters on a phone's number keys.
    Maybe he meant the on screen phone app not the keyboard.

    I would see myself using the touchscreen to dial numbers a lot more than using the numbers on the keyboard.
  10. #10  
    On my Treo, I used Initiate as a launcher/dialer/universal search, which did this perfectly. I'm not sure whether the Pre will have it built in though, I tend to doubt that.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by philmc View Post
    ...you simply hold down the shift key...
    You mean ALT key? That's they key for it on my BB Flip, and if I remember correctly my old Curve too.
  12. #12  
    I can't imagine Palm forcing people to remember what each number the letters correspond to in order to call.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by moush View Post
    I can't imagine Palm forcing people to remember what each number the letters correspond to in order to call.
    They did it for seven years with the Treo line. Besides, the on-screen keypad has the letters on it:
    Last edited by Derek Kessler; 05/03/2009 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Better picture.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    They did it for seven years with the Treo line. Besides, the on-screen keypad has the letters on it:
    Not sure if it will support that feature however it should work for text messaging.

    IE: If you need to text to 'SPRINT' it will automatically convert letters into numbers in MMS (at least that is how Garnet OS worked)
    Palm M100 => Treo 755P => Treo 800w => Treo 755p => Palm Pre => No more Palm/HP products

Posting Permissions