Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I would like Google Voice to be integrated into the OS for visual voicemail and transcription and I'd love if it had an option to use Google Voice for direct dialing instead of going through the website (and the same with the forwarded SMS messages) so that outgoing calls could easily show my Google Voice number without jumping through hoops. (Neither of which I think are going to happen on anything anytime soon).
    You don't need to go to the website for direct dialing. Simply dial your GV number from your cell phone and press 2 to dial any number you'd like. Can be done from ANY phone, without any app built on top of the phone, like for iPhones, Treos, etc. The only downside is that you have to know the number you're dialing; you don't have access to your contacts list saved in your GV database.

ALSO... when somebody texts my GV number, I can text them back and it shows the GV number on *their* caller ID. I don't think I can originate a text from GV without being on their website, tho; I'm pretty sure I can only reply to them.

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    However, I still think that Visual Voicemail is a good feature without that. While it may be simple to just listen to skip the voicemails you don't want to hear based on listening to the announced phone number, it's still inconvenient. More importantly, say you end up listening to all your voicemails, but save a few and want to repeat one at a later date. You're forced to listen to all of the new voicemails you might have before you can listen to any of your saved voicemail.

Sure, it's not that hard to remember, but it's just that much more convenient to just tap on the voicemail you want to hear and have it play immediately.
    I still don't think you're understanding. I NEVER listen to the "announced phone number". As soon as it says "first message" or something like that, I press 4 and it plays the voicemail, *not* the call details. If I dunno who the caller is, I can press 1 to get the call details, write them down, then save (7) or delete (9), instead of listening to the message again (4). After she says "Next message", press 4 again & it starts playing the voicemail immediately. Listening to the call details is what pisses everybody off about voicemail, but you don't have to listen to them if you don't want. Press 4!! Memorize the digits and you too can be as smart as the blind people who also think visual voicemail is overrated!

Quote Originally Posted by DwightShrute View Post
    going thru the process that you just described still takes a good bit of time and waiting, especially if you're trying to listen to maybe the last vmail you have waiting FIRST!! i don't think i'm very lazy but have grown extremely tired of the process you've described and have constantly had vmails just sitting there for DAYS on end just b/c i don't feel like going through the process to check them. now if i could just choose the one i'd like to hear and quickly delete unimportant ones then i'm game!!
    It's really not that bad if you know how the system works. If you've gone thru them all and picked what you're gonna save/delete, and you'd like to listen to one you saved. Then just hangup and dial your VM # again. Just press 4, then 9 & 4 'til you hear it... listen & hang up.

If you accidentally delete something, that's another thing. But it probly means your senses aren't too sharp when it comes to finger / keypad coordination.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    On the iPhone you can see who called you WITHOUT dialing that VM number, and delete the VMs you won't reply to anyway, LOL!

If it's the same on other phones, that's a great benefit. I hate listening to people I never wanted to talk to anyway, LOL!
    I *never* reply to VMs to begin with, but I used to listen to them out of obligation. Then my brother told me that he got Sprint to disable his voicemail altgother. I thought that was a great idea, because voicemail is a scam where Sprint charges you to call an in-network number (your own voicemail) out of your own minutes. Lame, lame, lame. Sprint told me they couldn't do it, but I eventually found a loophold called Sprint Integrated Office... and essentially, you have to tell the tech support that you want your VM disabled and all unanswered calls forwarded to another number (like YouMail or Google Voice, both of which do transcriptions to text... AKA: *real* visual voicemail). Just cancel the call forwarding number later and you effectively got them to disable your voicemail, since none of them will do that from the get go!

I hate voicemail, honestly. I'd be interested in transcription services if Sprint didn't charge $0.20/min for call forwarding. The other services are free, too... so it really even wouldn't be that bad per month if you had the need for it, but I don't. Plus, the transcription services aren't completely tuned yet, but they're better than listening to 'em, 97% of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    You don't need to go to the website for direct dialing. Simply dial your GV number from your cell phone and press 2 to dial any number you'd like. Can be done from ANY phone, without any app built on top of the phone, like for iPhones, Treos, etc. The only downside is that you have to know the number you're dialing; you don't have access to your contacts list saved in your GV database.

ALSO... when somebody texts my GV number, I can text them back and it shows the GV number on *their* caller ID. I don't think I can originate a text from GV without being on their website, tho; I'm pretty sure I can only reply to them.

I still don't think you're understanding. I NEVER listen to the "announced phone number". As soon as it says "first message" or something like that, I press 4 and it plays the voicemail, *not* the call details. If I dunno who the caller is, I can press 1 to get the call details, write them down, then save (7) or delete (9), instead of listening to the message again (4). After she says "Next message", press 4 again & it starts playing the voicemail immediately. Listening to the call details is what pisses everybody off about voicemail, but you don't have to listen to them if you don't want. Press 4!! Memorize the digits and you too can be as smart as the blind people who also think visual voicemail is overrated!

It's really not that bad if you know how the system works. If you've gone thru them all and picked what you're gonna save/delete, and you'd like to listen to one you saved. Then just hangup and dial your VM # again. Just press 4, then 9 & 4 'til you hear it... listen & hang up.

If you accidentally delete something, that's another thing. But it probly means your senses aren't too sharp when it comes to finger / keypad coordination.

I *never* reply to VMs to begin with, but I used to listen to them out of obligation. Then my brother told me that he got Sprint to disable his voicemail altgother. I thought that was a great idea, because voicemail is a scam where Sprint charges you to call an in-network number (your own voicemail) out of your own minutes. Lame, lame, lame. Sprint told me they couldn't do it, but I eventually found a loophold called Sprint Integrated Office... and essentially, you have to tell the tech support that you want your VM disabled and all unanswered calls forwarded to another number (like YouMail or Google Voice, both of which do transcriptions to text... AKA: *real* visual voicemail). Just cancel the call forwarding number later and you effectively got them to disable your voicemail, since none of them will do that from the get go!

I hate voicemail, honestly. I'd be interested in transcription services if Sprint didn't charge $0.20/min for call forwarding. The other services are free, too... so it really even wouldn't be that bad per month if you had the need for it, but I don't. Plus, the transcription services aren't completely tuned yet, but they're better than listening to 'em, 97% of the time.
    How is that easier than tapping voicemail and seeing all that on your screen? Tapping the message you'd like to hear and then either deleting it, hit 'call back' or move on to the next one is much easier than the old fashioned voicemail.

I'm not saying it's a life saving feature, but I think it's tough to make an argument saying that it doesn't save time.
    I would miss important info if I disabled VM.

And yes pavvento, Visual Voicemail is a GREAT timesaver! I dislike the "press number" routine. It can be tedious if you have lots to go through. One or two numbers, fine. But going through a long list, yuk.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!

For the first point you make there, it doesn't matter, either way, it's inconvenient as all hell. What I'm saying is that an integrated Google Voice Dialer for doing that and still being able to see your contacts would be great.

For the second, when someone texts your Google Voice number, sure you can text them back and have it show that number, but again, no contact integration. Especially on a phone like the Pre where the contacts are integrated completely throughout, this is useless unless it ties into them. I don't want to see a text from 12345 (or whatever the GV number is, I can't remember offhand) and then my friend's number, I want to see it as being directly from my friend.

Honestly, I'm surprised that at least Android doesn't have this sort of GV integration yet, but as for other phones, it'll be a long time before that happens natively.
  5.    #25  
    I for one really liked the VVM when I had my Instinct. It was about the only thing I really liked about that phone.

Uhhh, seems like all of us on here have the same feeling on this. This is an incredibly cumbersome process you've set up for yourself. I'm glad it works out for you, but I'd be amazed if you can't see how people would like Visual Voicemail.
    correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the advantage to visual voicemail that you can visually see who left the message thus giving you advance notice so you can decide whether or not you want to listen to their message. If you've got 8 miss calls and only 5 messages and only one of the callers is important to you, VVM would let you see who the 5 callers were and you'd know instantly if the "important" person left you a message. normal voicemail you either have to listen to the call details and move to the next just to see if the "important" person called wanted precious minutes. I would love to have Visual Voicemail.

I honestly can't see how anyone would not want this type of system. It's caller id for voicemail.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre

Okay, so I can do all of THAT....or I can hit the VV button and scroll through my messages at my leisure. No Listening/taking the phone away from my face to hit buttons/listening/hanging up and redialing.

It's great that it works for you, but just from the description I quoted here you've demonstrated how much more difficult your process is. If it's there, I'll take VV any day over current voice mail systems. If it's going to be helpful, why not?
    If they do have visual voicemail I really hope it's integrated into unified messaging. I mean, see all contact with a person in one place, email, sms, im and voicemail.
    All you guys that are bragging about how VVM is better than regular VM are right. What I said is that VVM is overrated. I can listen to 8 voicemails in about 60 seconds. That's what I'm trying to get across. I can comprehend, delete, save, & respond to 8 "regular" voicemails in about a minute.

If somebody leaves me a voicemail, I'm gonna have the decency to listen to it as soon as I know it's there... but I'd rather not give people the chance to leave me a VM anyway. To each his own, but I've only heard 1 VM in years that was "important", and I didn't listen to it 'til the next day when it wasn't as imperative. VM is lame, period. And VVM is overrated as opposed to regular VM. Got some messages, then listen to them all. Your life isn't so important that you need to ignore 7 outta 8 voicemails everyday. That's my stance. I'll take the VVM feature any day, but I'd point out 50 other features on the phone that are more appealing to me.
    It's just as quick for me to press the voicemail button, press 4 to listen to the first and subsequent voicemails and 7 to delete or 9 to save... and on the occasion that I need to know who the call was from or when it was made, all I have to do is press 1.
    Take it from someone who had visual voicemail and is using a phone without it, it is WAY faster than using the keys.
    You see what voicemails you have and tap on the one you want listen to, don't have to weed through all your messages.

I know what you're saying, but visual voicemail really is much faster/easier.
    I am very much interested in visual voicemail personally.

I get a lot of unnecessary calls that I don't answer.
    I'm borrowing my friend's Treo 650 (since my iPhone broke) and have a YouMail account set up.
    It's free and is a psudo-visual voicemail solution that will send you an email, SMS (or both) when you get a new voicemail.
    Then you can just click on the link to listen.. works very well so far.

I'm only going to have this phone until I get another (hopefully the Pre if it lives up to the hype), but for right now it's a heck of a lot better than punching in the voice mail commands.

HTH someone..
    VM is lame, period.
    That's the real issue here. You don't care about voicemail messages to begin with which is perfectly fine. I'm with the others in that I like VM service and that's why we don't think VVM it's overrated. I see the main advantage is if you save a lot of messages.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    All you guys that are bragging about how VVM is better than regular VM are right. What I said is that VVM is overrated. I can listen to 8 voicemails in about 60 seconds. That's what I'm trying to get across. I can comprehend, delete, save, & respond to 8 "regular" voicemails in about a minute.

If somebody leaves me a voicemail, I'm gonna have the decency to listen to it as soon as I know it's there... but I'd rather not give people the chance to leave me a VM anyway. To each his own, but I've only heard 1 VM in years that was "important", and I didn't listen to it 'til the next day when it wasn't as imperative. VM is lame, period. And VVM is overrated as opposed to regular VM. Got some messages, then listen to them all. Your life isn't so important that you need to ignore 7 outta 8 voicemails everyday. That's my stance. I'll take the VVM feature any day, but I'd point out 50 other features on the phone that are more appealing to me.
    Voicemail is a necessity when you can't answer your phone. It's just like the old answering machines(remember them, lol), just the messages are stored on the carrier's server.

And it's a LOT easier listening to VM from the VVM screen, instead of going through the number menu. Then there are people you don't want to hear from and you can delete directly from the VVM screen. To make matters worse, I get spam VM sometimes and it was annoying pressing buttons just to hear that crap. On VVM, listen for a couple seconds, when you hear it's spam *delete*, LOL.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by showson1 View Post
    I'm borrowing my friend's Treo 650 (since my iPhone broke) and have a YouMail account set up.
    It's free and is a psudo-visual voicemail solution that will send you an email, SMS (or both) when you get a new voicemail.
    Then you can just click on the link to listen.. works very well so far.
    Yes, THAT is a feature I want. I want to be able to read my voicemails, because well... I can read a lot faster than anybody can talk. I'd be able to go thru 8 VM messages in about 10 seconds, as opposed to 60 seconds with regular voicemail. THAT is a time saver, ya'llz.

How does YouMail's transcription feature work?? Google Voice's transcriptions were pretty funny to read, but I did get the general gist of 97% of the messages.

And how much does ATT charge for call forwarding?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12