Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    If you follow mainstream media, the 3 best-known tech writers are the Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg, the NY Times' David Pogue and USA Today's Edward Baig.
    Isn't it "strange" that all of three of them have basically said next to nothing about the Pre since its intro at CES? (I remember Mossberg doing a smartphone comparison in early April but it was general in nature).
    Now, bear with me here, if Palm and Sprint really want to get the word out to the non-tech public on the Pre, wouldn't it make sense to give those 3 guys Pres now, make them sign a NDA which would give them enough time to write full reviews of the Pre that would be printed just as it comes out.
    For the majority that know little of the Pre, positive reviews by those 3 guys would be huge.
    Probably because Palm still hasn't put these in the hands of many (if any) journalists. And if they have, they've put them under NDA. Mossberg, at least, generally writes about things he can do a hands-on with. At this point, all these guys could do is repeat all the speculation that's all over the web.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    If you follow mainstream media, the 3 best-known tech writers are the Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg, the NY Times' David Pogue and USA Today's Edward Baig.
    Isn't it "strange" that all of three of them have basically said next to nothing about the Pre since its intro at CES? (I remember Mossberg doing a smartphone comparison in early April but it was general in nature).
    Now, bear with me here, if Palm and Sprint really want to get the word out to the non-tech public on the Pre, wouldn't it make sense to give those 3 guys Pres now, make them sign a NDA which would give them enough time to write full reviews of the Pre that would be printed just as it comes out.
    For the majority that know little of the Pre, positive reviews by those 3 guys would be huge.
    I would think they would want that publicity. IF they are going to launch within the next two months the phone has to be close to being ready. Unless it is going to be delayed. I feel like Palm should have more confidence in its phone. It has been couple months since they announced and they are keeping most info hidden like it is some kind of deformed step-child in the basement. Basically I'm just upset I don't have this in hand yet.!
    Do you really want to hear what Mossberg says? Because he seems biased toward the iPhone to me.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    I agree with meyerweb. It's doubtful if Palm has released the devices to any of these journalists to review it. I'm extremely disappointed about the lack of information Palm & Sprint has made available to the public about it. If they keep this up I can't fathom the Pre having that much of a successful launch campaign the way things are going.
    At one time in a previous life, Mossberg favored his Treo.

Now it seems it's the iPhone that's on his favorite list.

Good luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    Apple did something similar with the first iPhone. A few journalists had it for a few weeks and then their reviews went live on Wednesday I believe and the phone was launched on Friday. One of them even put together a funny little video about how hard it was using the phone everyday without people knowing.

I would presume Palm is doing something like this. It has to have some review from people who have used it to make the average customer feel more comfortable buying it.
    Eh, I'd think that if that was the case, this site would at least be the top of the second-tier reviewers and they'd have an NDA as well, but they're still reporting things with no issue. (The only reason I say second tier is because it's only a website, whereas the rest have published columns... no offense meant or anything. ).
    I know Pogue was on some news shows after CES saying how he liked the Pre. I don't normally follow what these guys do or go to there sites for my tech news, so I can't comment the other ones.
    I am quite sure they are under NDA for another few weeks. I expect Palm set them up with a Pre for long term review.
    you'd think these pricks would have review units by now and hav released reviews by now. we're getting down to the wire - makes me wonder - what is palm hiding?
    Not this early. Reviews willy hit the same week the Pre is released.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    wouldn't it make sense to give those 3 guys Pres now, make them sign a NDA which would give them enough time to write full reviews of the Pre that would be printed just as it comes out.
    How do you know that hasn't or isn't happening? If they signed an NDA and their reviews are shelved until release we'd have no idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    you'd think these pricks would have review units by now and hav released reviews by now. we're getting down to the wire - makes me wonder - what is palm hiding?
    lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post

i dont think palm would want them to be the first to review it.

uphill battle that would be.

pouge liked the centro.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    These guys no nothing so they have nothing to say right now. They will probably get pre-release units like many other "reviewers" maybe a few days before release just like they do with everything else they review. Not surprising to me at all - and I rarely agree with their reviews anyway!
    I thought that Pogue did say he was rather impressed with the device upon seeing the CES presentation.
    I would suspect that we'll hear something from Mossberg after All Things D this year. The D conference takes place May 26th-28th and Rubinstein is one of the speakers this year. One would assume he'll be giving Walt a demo of the Pre.
    Pogue was very impressed with the Pre.

Mossberg, Pogue, and Baig will have the 1st reviews out for the Pre. It seems like Mossberg drinks the Apple kool-aid hard. His Sprint Instinct review was all about the iPhone.

Gadgets on the Go: Walt Mossberg's review of the Samsung Instinct from Sprint turns into iPhone 3G rebuttal

Mossberg's Pre review will probably focus more on the upcoming iPhone.

I find Pogue and Baig (they are huge Apple fan boys too) to be fairly impartial with their reviews compared to Mossberg these days. The big 3 always have the 1st reviews out.

I'm looking more forward to seeing reviews from Dieter, the community members here, people and sites who have been in the Palm community and stuck with Palm OS even though it was ancient, hacked to do things it never was intended to do (although Palm did one helluva hack to keep so many people preferring it over other OS's), the weekly Palm is dead articles, etc. (I know that sounds and is completely Palm fanboy-ish, but I can't help it)

I can't wait to get my review unit. I'm wondering how it's going to feel from going from one Palm OS to a dramatically other. Kinda like when Apple released OS X, a huge departure from previous Mac OS's. My Treo 755p is the longest relationship I've had with a smartphone. 2 years of using the same smartphone on a daily basis even while using other smartphones is making me a little nervous of possibly giving up the 755p, but Palm adding "Classic" will make the switch a bit easier I bet
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jimmie Geddes
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by PSU NuYoRican View Post
    I would suspect that we'll hear something from Mossberg after All Things D this year. The D conference takes place May 26th-28th and Rubinstein is one of the speakers this year. One would assume he'll be giving Walt a demo of the Pre.
    Which leads me to believe we'll see a release date about that time.
    Last edited by patchs; 05/02/2009 at 12:23 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast