Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 40 of 40
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    Mossberg's Pre review will probably focus more on the upcoming iPhone.
    I don't care for mossberg... or any of those other "tech" reviewers... I'd rather read something on the front page of this website. Mossberg always seems generic and late to me (after reading information on forums).

    I do read the WSJ (weekend edition) so I have nothing against that paper...

    Fair enough though, I understand many follow walt... and it would be a "changer" in some minds if he went all out for the Pre... actually, if he did that, I'd not be surprised...
    01000010 01100001 01101110 00100000 01010100 01101000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 00100000 01000011 01110010 01100001 01110000 01110000 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100001
  2. #22  
    Mossberg is awful. His reviews are kinda like what my grandpa would write if he had a website. That is his niche though, a lot of people are more comfortable with his reviews because he is 'just like them'.

    He is a big Apple fan though, so he is right about that at least!
  3.    #23  
    With the WSJ announcement next week, want to bet Mossberg has a review for Wed. or Thurs?
  4. #24  
    Another Palm fail. Nope, not surprised at all.
  5. #25  
    Why would there be reviews before an announcement is made for release?

    Why would there be reviews when they are obviously being tight lipped and everyone with a Pre or inside knowledge is under NDA?

    Why do you think they would release reviews when we are still 3 weeks or so from full launch?


    Its too early. Some of you need a hobby and stop being so obcessive about the damn phone. If it was up to you, there would be nothing to talk about in 3 weeks. They are doing it just like Apple did and guess what? It worked.

    So relax.
  6. #26  
    ------------------------------------

    From: XXXX
    To: Gekko
    Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:48:16 PM
    Subject: Re: Palm PRE

    Stay tuned, but ignore wild speculation about timing.

    ------------------------------------

    On May 12, 2009, at 4:42 PM, Gekko wrote:

    Hi XXXX - I hope all is well. I know you may be under NDA so I don't expect you to give anything away, but I just want to know if we can expect a review from you on the Palm PRE. I've been using Palm products since 1999 and am very anxious to get the PRE.

    Thank you sir!!!

    Gekko
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    It seems like Mossberg drinks the Apple kool-aid hard. His Sprint Instinct review was all about the iPhone.

    Gadgets on the Go: Walt Mossberg's review of the Samsung Instinct from Sprint turns into iPhone 3G rebuttal)
    I am not lover of Mossberg but you are leaving out an immensely important fact. Sprint announced it would launch an unprecedented 200 million dollar campaign on the Insticnt, in other words an order of magnitude more than ever spent by a carrier on a handset, and produced an entire strategy and television commercials (which were aborted but leaked) comparing the Instinct to the Iphone.

    Sprint flacks called Instinct it The iPhone-killer. Sprint identified the Instinct with the iphone, and Spritn invited with Instinct the point by point comparison by everyone.

    Most of the reviews of Instinct mentioned the iphone more than the Instinct becasue of Sprint's strategy. They got blown out of the water becasue Sprint was matching the Instinct to the first gen iphone and their campaign commenced just as the iPhone 3g came out.

    Don't blame any reviewers for comparing the Insitnct to the iPhone 3G - that was a case history marketing blunder -- by Sprint
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    Probably because Palm still hasn't put these in the hands of many (if any) journalists. And if they have, they've put them under NDA. Mossberg, at least, generally writes about things he can do a hands-on with. At this point, all these guys could do is repeat all the speculation that's all over the web.
    Exactly. Ditto.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Do you really want to hear what Mossberg says? Because he seems biased toward the iPhone to me.
    I;m going to poltily disagree w/ you. This was argued in another thread after Moss comment on the pre earlier in the year. IMO, he;s a phone fan, and the iphone is the best, so he compares everything to the ipone

    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTiger View Post
    At one time in a previous life, Mossberg favored his Treo.

    Now it seems it's the iPhone that's on his favorite list.
    Yes, to support my comments above. Read articles reviewing phones before the iphone was released - He would always compare to the treo. I belive he did this when revieiwng the blackjack.
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  9.    #29  
    Mossberg carries a lot of cred, whether you like him or not, he is one of the most popular mainstream tech writers/critics in the U.S.
    His words carry weight with Joe Average who reads the WSJ and makes about six figures.
    A glowing review of the Pre would help Sprint/Palm a lot.
  10. #30  
    "The iPhone is the best" is matter of OPINION, B-model. I seriously hope people judge phones for themselves instead of listening to this guy because he didn't even know how to compare a T-Mobile Shadow properly. WM Standard will NEVER perform like Mobile OSX because it isn't even made for touchscreens!!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    His words carry weight with Joe Average who reads the WSJ and makes about six figures.
    I don't believe "Joe Average" makes six figures (specially these days), but I get your point.

    Personally, I agree with those that mentioned Palm/Sprint may have already supplied them (and/or other reviewers) with their own units and, under a tight NDA, these reviewers are just waiting for the go-ahead to release them.

    I think next week will mark the beginning of the "wave of ads" on the Pre, with pricing and release dates announced and (and here I'm crossing my fingers) some pre-order info available.

    Now it's your turn to speculate away!
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    "The iPhone is the best" is matter of OPINION, B-model. I seriously hope people judge phones for themselves instead of listening to this guy because he didn't even know how to compare a T-Mobile Shadow properly. WM Standard will NEVER perform like Mobile OSX because it isn't even made for touchscreens!!
    It is objectively true when it comes to the web browser, app store, construction, UI etc. All the areas where Apple really raised the bar.

    As for comparing dissimilar devices, personally I could care less if something is the best WM standard smartphone around. If it doesnt meet my requirements for a good smartphone, it is garbage. All the categories and tribalization in smart phones are a relic of their more geeky past. It doesnt matter if the shadow is a good WM standard smartphone if cant compete on the real market with every other model. The new mass market smartphones are competing in doesnt care about 'features' or traditional product line diferentiation like WM pro and standard they care about benefits. Will this device let me quickly and easily check my email and view it just like my home computer? Can I download this song or app my friend told me about quickly and easily with non intimidating install process? etc etc
  13. #33  
    I still think Opera Mobile is a good browser, and they won't allow it as an alternative.

    And don't count WM out just yet. If you need an OS for business first and foremost, that's the most robust one, STILL. If you want a phone to balance out business and entertainment, then get the iPhone but jailbreak it because in it's virgin form it's still ineffective for serious business.

    I like to download songs and cool apps, but that won't help me when I need to make an important call. The standard iPhone contact app is terrible, I did have to download a non-cool but very helpful app for that. And how about "quick reply from the screen" text so you don't need to close out what you're doing? NO GO on the standard version(you must open up the text app) but will work on the jailbroken one with an app.

    Then there's the App Store itself. While obviously an excellent concept, what's with the up approval or denial process? Then to make matters worse, I read now WM Marketplace is trying that crap too(restrictions)! I'm getting tired of being told what I can and can't install on a phone that I paid for! If the phone screws up because of some app, fine, I'll take my lumps. But this control from companies claiming they need to protect me or the carrier is out of hand IMO. Might as well start renting phones then, because basically that's almost what this control amounts to.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I still think Opera Mobile is a good browser, and they won't allow it as an alternative.

    And don't count WM out just yet. If you need an OS for business first and foremost, that's the most robust one, STILL. If you want a phone to balance out business and entertainment, then get the iPhone but jailbreak it because in it's virgin form it's still ineffective for serious business.

    I like to download songs and cool apps, but that won't help me when I need to make an important call. The standard iPhone contact app is terrible, I did have to download a non-cool but very helpful app for that. And how about "quick reply from the screen" text so you don't need to close out what you're doing? NO GO on the standard version(you must open up the text app) but will work on the jailbroken one with an app.

    Then there's the App Store itself. While obviously an excellent concept, what's with the up approval or denial process? Then to make matters worse, I read now WM Marketplace is trying that crap too(restrictions)! I'm getting tired of being told what I can and can't install on a phone that I paid for! If the phone screws up because of some app, fine, I'll take my lumps. But this control from companies claiming they need to protect me or the carrier is out of hand IMO. Might as well start renting phones then, because basically that's almost what this control amounts to.
    Gettin kind of tense there aren't ya??
  15. #35  
    After the Slingbox crap and some other apps that were denied, I'm getting really pissed off at App Store and their restrictions that screw over the buyers like we're all a bunch of kids. And also take away our choice.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  16. #36  
    WM has some advantages, but I think its future is in the shells the HTC and Toshiba et al are making for it. MS just doesnt understand a mobile UI and how it differs from a desktop one so their partners will have to keep carrying that part of the load.

    Opera is pretty good. I use it on my BB in its 'mini' form and have used it on a Touch Diamond in the past. It just doesnt seem as fluid as a webkit based browser though.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I still think Opera Mobile is a good browser, and they won't allow it as an alternative.

    And don't count WM out just yet. If you need an OS for business first and foremost, that's the most robust one, STILL. If you want a phone to balance out business and entertainment, then get the iPhone but jailbreak it because in it's virgin form it's still ineffective for serious business.

    I like to download songs and cool apps, but that won't help me when I need to make an important call. The standard iPhone contact app is terrible, I did have to download a non-cool but very helpful app for that. And how about "quick reply from the screen" text so you don't need to close out what you're doing? NO GO on the standard version(you must open up the text app) but will work on the jailbroken one with an app.

    Then there's the App Store itself. While obviously an excellent concept, what's with the up approval or denial process? Then to make matters worse, I read now WM Marketplace is trying that crap too(restrictions)! I'm getting tired of being told what I can and can't install on a phone that I paid for! If the phone screws up because of some app, fine, I'll take my lumps. But this control from companies claiming they need to protect me or the carrier is out of hand IMO. Might as well start renting phones then, because basically that's almost what this control amounts to.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post

    Then there's the App Store itself. While obviously an excellent concept, what's with the up approval or denial process? Then to make matters worse, I read now WM Marketplace is trying that crap too(restrictions)! I'm getting tired of being told what I can and can't install on a phone that I paid for! If the phone screws up because of some app, fine, I'll take my lumps. But this control from companies claiming they need to protect me or the carrier is out of hand IMO. Might as well start renting phones then, because basically that's almost what this control amounts to.
    Just as a point about the WM marketplace restrictions, they are similar to what Palm will be doing. They also don't seem as draconian as they are being portrayed, it is just because it is Microsoft that everyone is in a huff about it. Essentially it will be Microsoft or Palm (depending on which store) can approve and disapprove of apps to put in their store (just like any store gets to decide its stock), but there is nothing to stop you from loading stuff from outside the store as we always have. The reason the Apple App Store restrictions are such a big deal is there is no official recourse for developers or users.
  18. #38  
    I read the rules and it sounds like MSFT is playing copycat and it's really annoying IMO.

    Several of those rules prevent apps that allow free usage of your device. Same as Apple's rules, before you jailbreak that is.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    WM has some advantages, but I think its future is in the shells the HTC and Toshiba et al are making for it. MS just doesnt understand a mobile UI and how it differs from a desktop one so their partners will have to keep carrying that part of the load.
    Microsoft has solidly showed they do understand mobile needs. Your statement on Partners carrying part of the load is an advantage, not a problem.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    you'd think these pricks would have review units by now and hav released reviews by now. we're getting down to the wire - makes me wonder - what is palm hiding?
    bwahaha! We got you!

    You thought the Pre was real? You fools!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions