Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This news article brings up a couple good points. While I hope it is not the case it is just something to ponder until we get our Pre's in hand.

NewsBubbles - Does the Palm Pre's Low-Build Price Suggest a Cheaply-Made, Inferior Product?

Plus considering iSuppli was probably mostly guessing we won't be able to tell for certain until after release.
    I agree that its alot of guessing. Dont they normally do this after getting there hands on the device and taking it apart.
    It could be the fact that over time price of things drop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    It could be the fact that over time price of things drop.
    And that the Pre has a smaller design, standard USB port, no glass screen, and no silly clickable screen.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Articles like that are a joke. Seriously, stop and think about it. Basicaly, someone is writing - "These guys guessed on low priced components, so don't you think it bodes poorly for Palm that they're building their units out of cheap materials.

That's kind of like getting angry that your imaginary girlfriend cheated on you...
    Last edited by hparsons; 05/01/2009 at 03:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    The Storm took more $$ to build either with more expensive components (which I doubt) or just with more components than the iphone 3G, and we all know how the storm turned out.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That's kind of like getting angry that your imaginary girlfriend cheated on you...
    You mean... I'm not supposed to be angry about that?
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Palm Pre Cheaply Made?
    Not according to every single person to post real, hands on impressions of it.

The fact that iSuppli estimated the price to be only $148 doesnt mean it is cheap. These things are made of commodity parts, they dont really cost that much. The real expense is in development.

Not to mention, I dont think iSuppli included licensing costs for the CDMA radio. (which are significant, thanks Qualcomm!!) And once they have a real unit to tear apart it is entirely possible the final price will edge up a bit.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    You mean... I'm not supposed to be angry about that?
    I don't know about anyone else but trying to beat up the imaginary guy took a lot of work and I looked kind of like Edward Norton in Fight Club.

Also on more topical :

I don't think any article that provokes thoughts/discussion are necessarily worthless. For all we know the Pre is a cheap POS.. It probably won't be but for us right now it is just VaporWare. But it was just an article about the pre possibly using outdated components when most likely a new iphone will be arriving in a couple months. I really just want to get a pre in my hand so I can feel and touch it
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Wow, the Storm cost the most, that must be a great phone. Look at how few problems there have been, wonderful logic. Maybe Palm just has better a better design. Do they know what the processor is in the Pre, isn't it supposed to be the latest and greatest?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Wow, the Storm cost the most, that must be a great phone. Look at how few problems there have been, wonderful logic. Maybe Palm just has better a better design. Do they know what the processor is in the Pre, isn't it supposed to be the latest and greatest?
    Yeah I think it is. . I'm pretty sure it is a Ti Omap processor which is supposed to be good.
    Also, its a little less than the iPhone which I think is something like $179 and it isn't poorly made (well, you could argue both ways) so we shouldn't bother with crap like this.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    ...For all we know the Pre is a cheap POS...
    Please explain. Remember, every hands on impression we have seen posted has praised the build quality. Can you link to even a single person who has had a real Pre in their hands and mentioned poor build quality?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Please explain. Remember, every hands on impression we have seen posted has praised the build quality. Can you link to even a single person who has had a real Pre in their hands and mentioned poor build quality?
    I said "far as we know"... AS in the people here. I don't think anyone I have seen that has posted here has had a Pre in had in hand hence the WE... So maybe it feels cheap. I wouldn't venture to say the Pre was made cheaply or feels solid.. Because I have never held one. Just because a review likes a product doesn't mean someone else necessarily will?. Lets not argue it was just a Article I found intresting because it provoked some thought on the Pre possibly using older components . Considering most electronics are outdated once they are released.
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    I think he is trying to hint at the fact that we won't know for sure until it is out.

I'm excited for the Palm Pre like everyone but I'm all about hearing everything the good, bad, and the ugly.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1quick1 View Post
    I think he is trying to hint at the fact that we won't know for sure until it is out.

I'm excited for the Palm Pre like everyone but I'm all about hearing everything the good, bad, and the ugly.
    Thanks you put it in much more compact and better words. !
    iSupply is just mad that Palm didn't let them actually TOUCH or HOLD the device!! like bryanharig said, all of those who have actually touched it have raved about it and specifically bragged about it's build quality!!
    Sincerely,

Dwight Shrute
    Quote Originally Posted by 1quick1 View Post
    I would agree if the good, bad and ugly has some basis in fact. But this article isn't reporting on something bad (or ugly). It's pure speculation, based on nothing.

I'm just blown away. One source guesses about what the parts cost of the Pre is, without having the slightest real knowledge. Another takes that guess, and then speculates on build quality, with even less knowledge.

Both (and this thread) are a waste of bandwidth.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    She did not!!! How dare you presume to speak for her!
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb View Post
    I would agree if the good, bad and ugly has some basis in fact. But this article isn't reporting on something bad (or ugly). It's pure speculation, based on nothing.

I'm just blown away. One source guesses about what the parts cost of the Pre is, without having the slightest real knowledge. Another takes that guess, and then speculates on build quality, with even less knowledge.

Both (and this thread) are a waste of bandwidth.
    And yet here you are posting on it.....

But anyways. iSuppli has done how many tear aparts?. I'm pretty sure they have some real knowledge of what parts cost/are used. Saying they have none is kind of like saying experience at something is worthless and should be totally ignored. Having a civil convseration about ideas/thoughts/articles(good or bad) is what a forum should be about. If you don't agree with someone's point of view/speculation it does not make it worthless just different.

I'm just reading everything because I'm hoping this phone is great!! I can't wait until I can walk into Sprint store and try one out in person!. I want to know everything about it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast