Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Articles like that are a joke. Seriously, stop and think about it. Basicaly, someone is writing - "These guys guessed on low priced components, so don't you think it bodes poorly for Palm that they're building their units out of cheap materials.

That's kind of like getting angry that your imaginary girlfriend cheated on you...
    The estimate is an educated guess based on standard component costs. They do this for everyone, so there's no reason to believe Palm is being singled out. You can also look at it from another angle in that this will lower its pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Please explain. Remember, every hands on impression we have seen posted has praised the build quality. Can you link to even a single person who has had a real Pre in their hands and mentioned poor build quality?
    They've limited press access to it. Bonnie Cha of CNET has been very vocal about this issue and it does strike me and others as being very odd that a manufacturer this close to release would not allow hands on access to it. Them being prototypes, they'd maybe use different materials, but other manufacturers do this as well, so it just leaves a lot of us wondering why limit access to it.

Realistically, I'm expecting similar build quality to the Centro / Treo Pro which have both had some serious issues. I'd like to see this be higher grade materials, but at this time, it doesn't appear to be the case. Indicators for me are the plastic screen vs. glass and the appearance of cheaper plastics being used on the side buttons. It's also concerning that it's a slider as those tend to have more issues to begin with and adding to that low build costs. Would anyone not buy knowing Centro durability on this device is possible, ie. possible cracks / chipping in the plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    I said "far as we know"... AS in the people here. I don't think anyone I have seen that has posted here has had a Pre in had in hand hence the WE... So maybe it feels cheap. I wouldn't venture to say the Pre was made cheaply or feels solid.. Because I have never held one. Just because a review likes a product doesn't mean someone else necessarily will?. Lets not argue it was just a Article I found intresting because it provoked some thought on the Pre possibly using older components . Considering most electronics are outdated once they are released.
    Older compnents?? It is the first phone to use the Ti OMAP 3430. How much more new do you want?
    So, since there's speculation of build quality, does anyone know what sprint offers as far as phone insurance or warranties? Are they worth it and does sprint put up a big fight if you try to use it?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    Older compnents?? It is the first phone to use the Ti OMAP 3430. How much more new do you want?
    Yeah but you can put a really nice processor on a crappy motherboard. .

But I digress..

I want to state I think the palm is going to be great. IT looks nice and everything.!! I just saw this article and thought other people would be intrested in reading anything and everything about it.
    I am not surprised that the pre is cheaply made. I mean, am I the only one who's had a treo go bad & friz out?
    Here's an interesting thread from someone who claims to have been playing with a pre tonight.

Playing with a Pre tonight - Palm Pre Forums
    I haven't gotten to touch it much so far, but it isn't the strongest build quality...

The phone itself is noticeably plasticky. I don't hate the build quality, but I think this could be improved by simply added the touchstone plate on the back to add some traction. There is a good weight to the phone and it isn't too bulky.
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. Any phone has a life of one or two years. Do we worry about the build quality of our newspapers or television programmes?

However, "build quality" has two aspects; a product's "life" and "feel". I guess we are talking about the second one here, but even then, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. Any phone has a life of one or two years. Do we worry about the build quality of our newspapers or television programmes?

However, "build quality" has two aspects; a product's "life" and "feel". I guess we are talking about the second one here, but even then, I wouldn't worry about it.
    "Feel" - emphasis mine.

I think this is very important. One of the biggest allures of the i-phone is it's sheer sex-appeal - it is a gorgeous piece of glass, metal and plastic. And IMHO, that IS a big factor for the 'average' non-techie consumer.
  9.    #29  
    I think the Pre looks very sexy..... In pictures.. I hope it carries through to an in person inspection.. !!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post

I try and replace my phone every couple years but would hope they'd last a good 4 with standard use. I expect the body will have the same cracking / easy to scratch issues as the Treo Pro which would be a bummer as even with a protective shield they still are having issues. The hinge mechanism also is a concern especially if cheaper materials are being used. I'd probably put up with the creaks, jittering, etc., but I could see this being flagged by critics and the mainstream as annoying enough for concern. I don't even like the build quality on the HTC Touch Pro's and their sliders but would expect the same kind of build quality on this phone. With the required plan change I'll take a wait and see for a couple months on this and see what the forums are saying on the hardware software before deciding whether to purchase.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12