Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    with the launch of the Pre eminent, i thought it would make for interesting conversation to discuss how long it would take for Palm to sell 1 million Pre's.

here are some interesting nuggets with launch dates.

(June 2007) Iphone (original) reached 1 million handsets sold in ~ 74 days
    Apple: 1 million iPhones sold | News Blog - CNET News

**(June 2008) Samsung Instinct becomes best-selling EV-DO device ever in the first week of availability, Tops Best Buy Sales. (Sorry no hard numbers)
    http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/0...t-record-pace/
    http://www.betanews.com/article/Sams...les/1215720536

(July 2008) Iphone 3G reached 1 million handsets sold in ~ 3 days (Wow!)
    Apple Sells One Million 3G iPhones First Weekend. Ten Million iPhone Apps Downloaded.

(Nov 2008) Blackberry Strom reached 1 million handsets sold in ~ 72 days
    Verizon touts 1 million BlackBerry Storms sold to date

In addition, "Palm may ship 2.6 million units in the first year, according to the median estimate of 10 analysts surveyed by Bloomberg." Palm Pre May Not Match IPhone Debut as Economy Flags (Update2) - Bloomberg.com These set some pretty good parameters for discussion. how long will it take to reach 1 million sales? and does the Pre have to outsell the Iphone (original) or the Blackberry Storm to be successful? Can Palm's Pre even do that considering the economic climate?

sorry for not embedding the links, i dont know how to do that.* ( *yet)

** edited to add Samsung Instinct in comparison.
    Last edited by Dave81j6; 05/01/2009 at 03:07 PM.
    How long did it take the Instinct to sell a mil?
    If they advertise and price it right, I think that ~75 days wouldn't be a bad bet.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    i searched for a few minutes, end answer. idk !? couldn't find a statistic.
    Global Posts
    919 Global Posts
    took the centro about 180 days to reach 1 million and another 120 days to hit 2 million
    I don't care what you say SPRINT kicks
    Treo650/Treo700p/Treo700wx/Treo755/HTC Touch/ Treo Pro/ Touch Pro/ Touch Diamond / Palm Pre / HTC EVO Shift / Nexus S 4G
    My Themes - Prethemer
    once it becomes a buy one get one free then maybe it will happen. But at least till end of the year
    Just remember the iPhone 3G 1M figure was worldwide, the Pre is launching US only so those numbers would be highly highly improbable.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    with the launch of the Pre eminent i thought it would make for interesting conversation to discuss how long it would take for Palm to sell 1 million Pre's.

Here are some interesting nuggets and release dates.

(June 2007) Apple Iphone reaches 1 million handsets sold in ~ 74 days
    Apple: 1 million iPhones sold | News Blog - CNET News

*(June 2008) Samsung Instinct has become Sprint's best-selling EV-DO device ever in the first week of availability, Tops Best Buy Sales List. No sales figure.
    Samsung Instinct flies off Sprint's shelves at record pace
    Samsung Instinct tops Best Buy sales | Betanews

(July 2008) Iphone 3G reaches 1 million handsets sold in ~ 3 Days (Wow!)
    Apple Sells One Million 3G iPhones First Weekend. Ten Million iPhone Apps Downloaded.

(Nov 2008) Blackberry Storm reaches 1 million handsets sold in ~ 72 days
    Verizon touts 1 million BlackBerry Storms sold to date

In addition, "Palm may ship 2.6 million units in the first year, according to the median estimate of 10 analysts surveyed by Bloomberg." Palm Pre May Not Match IPhone Debut as Economy Flags (Update2) - Bloomberg.com Now that we have pretty good paremeters, how long will it take to for Palm to reach 1 million Pre's sold? does Palm have to outperform the original iphone or the blackberry storm to be considered successful? can Palm even sell the Pre faster in this econimc climate?

* i added the samsung instinct for comparisons sake even though without any hard numbers, its not very helpful

** i accidentally erased the entire first post, so i put it together again here. sorry for the annoying;y newbie mistake. i'm new at this.
    75 days does seem probable - if the Storm dfid it on the CDMA verzion network, it's possible on Sprint. However, i don;t think it will happen. even with a amjor marketing push, betwen the economy and the lack of infomration the general public have about this phone, it may take soem time to cathc on. With that said, this phone will be a big, big hit
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    I dunno...i kinda think we may see it under 60.

I know, crazy statistic...but...I dunno....i have that feeling there are a lot of Sprint people itching for a super high end fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Anyone else here think the Eos will sell 1M more quickly than the Pre?

Maybe as it is cheaper and probably easier to produce, however the pre has a couple month head start.
    I think without knowing the price, it would be very premature to make a guess. If I were to make a guess though, I could see the Pre selling over a million in a couple months if the phone was $199 or less with contract. If they release the Pre internationally within the first few months, I could see them hitting that mark MUCH quicker. if the price is $299, it's very possible it could take 'til the end of the year and maybe even until they drop the price. Many people just can't afford that kind of price in this economy.
    It also depends on how fast they can make them too.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeridstylee View Post
    How long did it take the Instinct to sell a mil?
    the instinct didnt sell a mil
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyruz Reaper View Post
    the instinct didnt sell a mil

I was going to say, they are probably still working on that. lol
    No advertisee, no sellee. Its how palm rolls.

Apple had a massive marketing campaign. They sold a million immediately. It will do well, but I don't think palm will sell Pre's anywhere as fast as apple sold its iphones.

Bank on it.
    They could reach 1 million in a few minutes if only Palm would only pull their head out of you-know-where and launch the Pre in India and China.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    No advertisee, no sellee. Its how palm rolls.

Apple had a massive marketing campaign. They sold a million immediately. It will do well, but I don't think palm will sell Pre's anywhere as fast as apple sold its iphones.

Bank on it.
    iPhone 2G took almost 3 months to hit 1 million.

iPhone 3G....which is a clear admittance by those first million iPhone owners than the iPhone 2G was a very average phone.....cause that phone sold over a million in one weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougB541 View Post
    iPhone 2G took almost 3 months to hit 1 million.

iPhone 3G....which is a clear admittance by those first million iPhone owners than the iPhone 2G was a very average phone.....cause that phone sold over a million in one weekend.
    Also the iPhone 3G had the benefit of a worldwide launch. The first iPhone had a limited initial international release due to Apple's requests for revenue sharing on plans, which they dropped for the 3G model and got more carriers on board. That larger market penetration is a big key to that quick 3G million sales mark.
    I'll have a rough guess at around 120 days to reach a million sales. Of course other people have mentioned the price and the number of units that will be available, and how quickly they will be able to continue production. It's very hard to guess without knowing even how many units they will have available when the phone is released.

The potential is there that's for sure.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast