Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    More than 2 weeks of direct TV advertising is simply a waste of money. They are using the Now Network ads to soften the ground, people need to warm to the concept of wanting Sprint. You really can't start advertising a product too soon before release lest you get people pissed about advertising a product that isn't out and them losing interest. After a while people start tuning it out.
    More than likely they will do something similar to what you see with movies, where they start the advertising with a few well targeted commercials 2-2.5 weeks out to catch the low hanging fruit. Then they start an all out advertising blitz the week before. Product placements will happen before the direct advertising, and have likely been in the works for months.
    Don't assume they don't know what they are doing, even if you don't trust Palm and Sprint for marketing, the advertising industry publications have been praising Sprint's efforts here, especially the web advertising.
    There is no sense in advertising something too soon. And again, they have time.
    Perfect - and perfectly correct. I believe the "subtle" marketing they are doing now on TV and print (they actually put the name down in the right hand corner in the print ad) is perfect build up. More and more references and pictures will start happening this month and then you will see the name more often. So, the all out blitz is coming but it is coming at the right time. You don't blow your wad a month before you can ship the thing - consumers would tend to forget it and ignore advertising if you kept seeing commercials for a product you could not buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I think they have a couple of choices from the info that has leaked out, due to likely low stockpiles of pre's:

1)Throw out the few amount of pre's they have stockpiled, relatively soon, for the geeks waiting for it, with minimal advertising.

2) Wait a few more weeks until they have enough to meet mass demand and THEN start advertising for a couple weeks heavily, and THEN release it.

I'm more inclined to believe Sprint would do 1. At least, the should, if they are smart.
    How would that be the smart thing to do?
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Sounds like you are NOT in a marketing job.
    I'm in sales and know that if you don't put your product out there, people will not come to you. They have to know you exist before they can consider buying.

"I have a hot product but am not advertising so no one will know about it but a select few" is not good way to make mass sales.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    How would that be the smart thing to do?
    It would be what he wants. So therefore it would be 'smart'!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I'm in sales and know that if you don't put your product out there, people will not come to you. They have to know you exist before they can consider buying.

"I have a hot product but am not advertising so no one will know about it but a select few" is not good way to make mass sales.
    So according to this logic, the original iPhone should not have sold well, considering they didn't start their TV ad campaign until mid June and the phone wasn't sold until the end of June.

Phones like the Pre/iPhone sell themselves. If the Pre is liked by people (which it will) they will get more word of mouth sales than anything.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    So according to this logic, the original iPhone should not have sold well, considering they didn't start their TV ad campaign until mid June and the phone wasn't sold until the end of June.

Phones like the Pre/iPhone sell themselves. If the Pre is liked by people (which it will) they will get more word of mouth sales than anything.

Actually the apple brand sells iphones.

For some reason, people waited around 6 whole months to buy the 1st iPhone without any real info except that it's coming in June. It's amazing that Apple can get away with all kinds of stuff.

But Palm isn't Apple, and it would be best to wet people's appetite NOW before they consider other phones being released for the late spring and early summer(or just other phones period and that includes the new iPhone). Now is a good time since the due date is July 1.

They don't need to put out tons and tons of ads. Just get the ball rolling with 2 nicely thought out ads that inform people the Pre is coming and what it can do. Maybe even just one in nicely placed spots.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!

They don't have a hot product yet. When they do, they should advertise it, providing they have enough to fill the built up demand advertising would bring. If they don't have enough, advertising would not help them, it would only create demand for something they don't have.
    For some reason, people waited around 6 whole months to buy the 1st iPhone without any real info except that it's coming in June. It's amazing that Apple can get away with all kinds of stuff.

But Palm isn't Apple, and it would be best to wet people's appetite NOW before they consider other phones being released for the late spring and early summer(or just other phones period and that includes the new iPhone). Now is a good time since the due date is July 1.

They don't need to put out tons and tons of ads. Just get the ball rolling with 2 nicely thought out ads that inform people the Pre is coming and what it can do. Maybe even just one in nicely placed spots.
    Haven't they done that with the Sprint ads of late? A few people, including my Dad, asked me what phone was at the end of the new Sprint commercials. The curiosity is there.

What I am trying to say is Sprint/Palm are doing nothing wrong in the advertising world. If the phone drops tomorrow or next week with no TV ads then you have a point.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    Actually the apple brand sells iphones.
    No. The phone sold because at the time it was the best combination of multimedia / internet browsing available with the other PDA functions being decent. People accepted the short commings because it had a sleek look, was pretty simple to use and mobile safari was the best looking browser on the market. Lets also not forget the Ipod integration.

That is why they did so well. Not because of the Apple logo, otherwise their desktops wouldn't be wallowing with a mediocre market share if anything with the logo sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    They don't have a hot product yet. When they do, they should advertise it, providing they have enough to fill the built up demand advertising would bring. If they don't have enough, advertising would not help them, it would only create demand for something they don't have.
    Unless something goes 100% wrong or there's some kind of national disaster that delays everything(God forbid), the Pre is coming, right?
    It's been spotted in testers' hands. Now I don't know if they've gotten any mass shipments sitting in their warehouses yet(and there was another rumor about that too, LOL) but it's pretty much guaranteed the Pre is coming.

So we have 2 months left and that other phone is also going to be announced in early JUNE(it would be a bombshell if they didn't) and hyped(they just released the 4th beta and it got press on the techie sites), Palm should still wait? Wait until the other phone stomps it into obscurity where they may have to fight their way into the light again? Or should they get the jump on the other phone?

P.S. I'm still hoping that May 17 or even 31st is correct rather than some time in June.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/02/2009 at 04:58 PM.

Haven't they done that with the Sprint ads of late? A few people, including my Dad, asked me what phone was at the end of the new Sprint commercials. The curiosity is there.

What I am trying to say is Sprint/Palm are doing nothing wrong in the advertising world. If the phone drops tomorrow or next week with no TV ads then you have a point.
    A phone not mentioned by name. I guess the mystery appeal could work. But then how about a more concrete ad so people know this is a real phone coming out and not a concept phone for advertising purposes? They will need to do that soon IMO.

A phone not mentioned by name. I guess the mystery appeal could work. But then how about a more concrete ad so people know this is a real phone coming out and not a concept phone for advertising purposes? They will need to do that soon IMO.
    I think it is coming. If things stay like this until launch I will be in your boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I think they have a couple of choices from the info that has leaked out, due to likely low stockpiles of pre's:

1)Throw out the few amount of pre's they have stockpiled, relatively soon, for the geeks waiting for it, with minimal advertising.

Given the predicted number of Pre's available at launch to be 375,000 I would say throwing out a few Pre's is not a choice but a sad reality, unless they want to break their first half of 09 promise.
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    No. The phone sold because at the time it was the best combination of multimedia / internet browsing available with the other PDA functions being decent. People accepted the short commings because it had a sleek look, was pretty simple to use and mobile safari was the best looking browser on the market. Lets also not forget the Ipod integration.

That is why they did so well. Not because of the Apple logo, otherwise their desktops wouldn't be wallowing with a mediocre market share if anything with the logo sold.
    Most of the imorons (I became one of them) don't give a rats *** about the browser. I cared about it, but I can tell you, the general iphone user doesn't really care about it.
    My belief is that most people are upset with the lack of advertising because it signals we are not very close to a release.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    My belief is that most people are upset with the lack of advertising because it signals we are not very close to a release.

If we are not close to the "Release" Palm has done a total screw up again! Like Phone Diva says; let's get the jump on the Iphone. They always repeat their mistakes, lack of Micro SD is so sad. (Maybe if they had given 32 g, it would have been alright) It would be nice if we could reformat the web os and not affect the programs and files that we have stored in the 8 g of memory. One more comment Jeff was not a visionary when he was hyping the "folio" He totally lost it and delayed our Pre but what say 2 years?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
    If we are not close to the "Release" Palm has done a total screw up again! Like Phone Diva says; let's get the jump on the Iphone. They always repeat their mistakes, lack of Micro SD is so sad. (Maybe if they had given 32 g, it would have been alright) It would be nice if we could reformat the web os and not affect the programs and files that we have stored in the 8 g of memory. One more comment Jeff was not a visionary when he was hyping the "folio" He totally lost it and delayed our Pre but what say 2 years?
    32GB onboard? The only phone with that thus far is the N97, which goes for about $700 unlocked, and would be between $300-400 with carrier subsidies from Sprint. Talk about Palm/Sprint "totally screwing up again" if they released the Pre at or close to that price point!

The phone is obviously close to release, but there are still I's to dot and T's to cross, so you can't give a release date. This is a big deal to both Sprint and Palm, so when they give an official release date, there is NO changing or delaying it. They have to meet it, and do it with ample supply and lack of bugs.

It won't be much longer.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234