Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Exactly..

But there are a lot of people who want Sprint's coverage, quality, or pricing and a product like the iphone...

The big spenders turned on by the iphone and don't mind AT&T have already left the building..
    What I was thinking, the bad that would happen is if they released it too soon, and people got so fed up with it crashing and hanging that their frustration would lead them to actually want an iPhone.

I'll wait for the final product release regardless of the date and what Apple does.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Didn't say it was. We're all just throwing out dates anyways. It's safe to say noone really has a clue but Palm/Sprint.
    I'm starting to wonder if even they have a clue!
    And some of us Iphone people that left are returning for the Pre.

Stop sounding like idiots saying people are suddenly going to leave in droves for the Iphone when they have had 2 years to do such a thing.
    All I know is that I'm tired of seeing the Sprint 4g commercials with Pre eye-candy and I can't get one.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    I think the Pre might come out on the following dates:
    5/17
    5/24
    5/31
    6/7
    6/14
    6/21
    6/28

There, I got all the sundays thru the end of June covered.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    I think the Pre might come out on the following dates:
    5/17
    5/24
    5/31
    6/7
    6/14
    6/21
    6/28

There, I got all the sundays thru the end of June covered.
    What about 05/10? Mother's day. What better gift to give your mom than a Pre?
    yadda yadda yadda
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    I just don't understand this line of thinking. Are there really a significant amount of people still on Sprint who want an iPhone, weren't impressed enough by the first two go-rounds (original, 3G) to get one, but will get a new model with video recording if the Palm Pre (a device with no video recording as of yet) isn't to their liking?

Good point.

I don't think I am representative of most Sprint customers, but here is my profile for what it's worth:

I have been on Sprint since I bought my Treo 650...about three years ago. I don't have coverage issues and the price is nice. Data plan is inexpensive. 3G coverage serves my area well. All-in-all, I am happy.

I never liked the iPhone. It's UI is sexy as hell, but my Treo 700p destroys it from a functional point of view. I'll spare you why I feel that way...I have posted it before. That said, I understand why the iPhone sells well. Most consumers are not as tech savvy as we are and they fall for glitter and sparkle. They also need the hand-holding that an integrated app store provides. Additionally, they are also very brand-aware...perhaps even brand self-conscious. Great, but that's not me.

Thus, I stayed with Sprint after my contract expired while I waited patiently for Android-based handsets. When the G1 came out, I was somewhat disappointed with that first incarnation....with both the handset and the OS...so I decided to sit back and wait and see what happened in the Android space. Had it been better, I would have jumped to T-Mobile. Frankly, I think all carriers have issues...and I like GSM-based phones anyway.

Fast forward to January and CES and my Android lust is replaced by Pre lust...and I have been waiting patiently since.

Will I get a Pre? Who knows. That depends on what happens in the next month or so. I was convinced that I was buying three G-1s for my family and backed away at the last minute because, in part, of the Pre...and may do the same with the Pre. That all depends on what other handset and mobile OS vendors do in the interim...as well as how well Palm pulls off this release.

I like Palm. Yes, they are frustrating, but I have had a Palm-based PDA in one form another for ten years...and a Treo for more than three..and they have really helped me. That's what I want from such a device - functionality...not flash. So far, Palm has done well for me...even if their products are long in the tooth. That said, Palm is not a religion for me. I will buy the best device for me, my family, and our lifestyle.

Are carrier's an issue? Well, to a point. I need a decently priced and flexible family plan. That also factors in for me. I suppose we'll see...but I will certainly hold a Pre in my hand and use it before I make my final decision.

$0.02
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    If they Pre was coming out in June why would there be a vacation freeze for May? Doesn't make sense.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    If they Pre was coming out in June why would there be a vacation freeze for May? Doesn't make sense.

I had forgotten about the vacation freeze! Make sense we will see this phone very soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Will I get a Pre? Who knows. That depends on what happens in the next month or so. I was convinced that I was buying three G-1s for my family and backed away at the last minute because, in part, of the Pre...and may do the same with the Pre. That all depends on what other handset and mobile OS vendors do in the interim...as well as how well Palm pulls off this release.

I like Palm. Yes, they are frustrating, but I have had a Palm-based PDA in one form another for ten years...and a Treo for more than three..and they have really helped me. That's what I want from such a device - functionality...not flash. So far, Palm has done well for me...even if their products are long in the tooth. That said, Palm is not a religion for me. I will buy the best device for me, my family, and our lifestyle.

Are carrier's an issue? Well, to a point. I need a decently priced and flexible family plan. That also factors in for me. I suppose we'll see...but I will certainly hold a Pre in my hand and use it before I make my final decision.

$0.02
    That's cool. There was someone else here - I think yesterday - who said they were in a similar situation and were tempted by G1s. They said they had 7 lines total and were on SERO or some other dirt cheap ancient Sprint plan that no longer exists.

I priced it out, and you'd pay about $60 more a month on T-mobile with all of those G1s, but go without services like Sprint Nav and Sprint TV.

Now, maybe those services aren't a value add for you. They are for me, but I can understand that not everyone uses them. But if price is a factor, $720 less total cost of ownership (TCO) per year is a pretty big differentiator.
    I know that document made its way around the internet but I don't remember reading that it was actually confirmed.

does anyone have any more info on this?
    I've got some more yadda yadda yadda, but other than that?

no.
    you're confusing in that vacation freeze = phone launching month.

Just because there's a vacation freeze, doesn't necessarily mean the phone is launching that particular month. It could mean a variety of reasons such as training, sales meetings on quotas, clearing out inventory, various assesments...etc. Doesn't mean its not a month for the launch, but it just doesn't necessarily mean it will launch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    you're confusing in that vacation freeze = phone launching month.

Just because there's a vacation freeze, doesn't necessarily mean the phone is launching that particular month. It could mean a variety of reasons such as training, sales meetings on quotas, clearing out inventory, various assesments...etc. Doesn't mean its not a month for the launch, but it just doesn't necessarily mean it will launch.
    Granted that they were just reporting on the rumors, but everywhere I read said it was a rare vacation freeze, as in sprint almost never does that. But who knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    Yeah, I searched and couldn't find it either. For those complaining, I must wonder why you take the time to open and respond to a thread that apparently doesn't interest you? There are hundreds of threads on this forum that don't interest me. What do I do? I choose to ignore them. Maybe it's time to do the same. Until Sprint gives us an official release date, expect rumors from Palm fan sites to be reported on whether you make snide comments in the thread or not.
    Ooookay.....

Nobody is complaining that you posted what you posted. The complaints are about it being a new thread when there is no reason yet given why it couldn't be in the predictions and speculations sticky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukiyaki View Post
    All I know is that I'm tired of seeing the Sprint 4g commercials with Pre eye-candy and I can't get one.
    Understand that feeling. That's why I don't go to strip bars.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Understand that feeling. That's why I don't go to strip bars.
    Is that like the feeling you got while climbing the rope in gym class???
    Quote Originally Posted by coorspate View Post
    I'm considering anything before June 30th a great surprise at this point.

me too!
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    me three!
    Just call me Berd.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast