Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sad to say, but I am finally starting to get p.o.'d at Sprint/Palm. With all that is going on and being said, you would think that they would have something to put out about the status to squash all of the rumors and speculating.

Throw us a freakin' bone here (pardon the Austin Powers ref.)......... We are 2 months out from the end of the first half and neither one can extend some freaking common-courtesy.......

I am MAD at you, SPRINT & PALM!!!!!!!
    Relax, we're only 2/3 of the way into the first half. If this were your favorite college football team (I see Columbus...), you'd be cheering them on to a fourth quarter rally.

It's a phone. In the end, hopefully it will be released on time and in good shape. But it's not worth getting bent out of shape over.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  3.    #3  
    I hear ya.

I just wanted to vent........It needed to be said. In the end, I will be a Pre owner regardless.
    I'm in the same boat. A month ago, had the Pre come out, my excitement would have overridden logic and I'd have doubled my plan to get a Pre.

Now my excitement has faded to the extent that I am not going to give up my SERO 500 plan for the Pre, if that's what is required.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    I like what Mike said on the Palmcast. There will be an announcement within 2 weeks. That was a week ago.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I'm in the same boat. A month ago, had the Pre come out, my excitement would have overridden logic and I'd have doubled my plan to get a Pre.

Now my excitement has faded to the extent that I am not going to give up my SERO 500 plan for the Pre, if that's what is required.
    It is, but you'll give in eventually.
    Sprint/Palm have maintained the first half of 2009 since January.

If it was October and we still hadent seen anything that would be one thing.

Anyone remember the Samsung i550 debacle? This was a device that was rumored years ago and speculation ran rampant - and got to the point of sightings, back end links to the product page on sprint.com, and promise after promise of imminenant release. This went on for months.

The thing never came out.
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbad614 View Post
    Sad to say, but I am finally starting to get p.o.'d at Sprint/Palm. With all that is going on and being said, you would think that they would have something to put out about the status to squash all of the rumors and speculating.

Throw us a freakin' bone here (pardon the Austin Powers ref.)......... We are 2 months out from the end of the first half and neither one can extend some freaking common-courtesy.......

I am MAD at you, SPRINT & PALM!!!!!!!
    I think most of us feel that way? Anybody?

The lack of information has reminded us of Palm's dark days (700p MR, 700w>wx, etc...) and it is not getting any eaiser but like Derek said, we are so close to the light at the end of the tunnel, I think the wait will be well rewarded!
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    With all of these type posts (Eguy is even putting it in his avatar) I wonder why people are so pissed - why do you think it is your god-given right to have Palm or Sprint tell you any more than they have? "Common courtesy"? Come on, what world do you guys really live in? I see nothing with this intro that has not happened a million times in the tech world. Sure, I would like to see it too - but I also know the path to roll-out is not all rose pedals and honeysuckle. I am sure they have hit some snags and I appreciate the fact they *might* be trying to get a product to market with as few bugs as possible.

I am positive that if it came to market too early, they would be getting ripped to shreds right now by the very same folks that wanted it quick. I can't wait to see how long it takes for the first "The Pre is a POS, back it goes!" or 'I waited x months for this POS?!?" threads. 2 days after intro, maybe?

So, sit tight and enjoy the rumor-mill fun. I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    With all of these type posts (Eguy is even putting it in his avatar) I wonder why people are so pissed - why do you think it is your god-given right to have Palm or Sprint tell you any more than they have? "Common courtesy"? Come on, what world do you guys really live in? I see nothing with this intro that has not happened a million times in the tech world. Sure, I would like to see it too - but I also know the path to roll-out is not all rose pedals and honeysuckle. I am sure they have hit some snags and I appreciate the fact they *might* be trying to get a product to market with as few bugs as possible.

I am positive that if it came to market too early, they would be getting ripped to shreds right now by the very same folks that wanted it quick. I can't wait to see how long it takes for the first "The Pre is a POS, back it goes!" or 'I waited x months for this POS?!?" threads. 2 days after intro, maybe? So, sit tight and enjoy the rumor-mill fun. I am.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. Most people haven't even heard of the Pre, and some think that just because they have a shrine at home, it means every single person is clamoring after this phone like the next Jesus phone. The phone isn't late, it has always been said that it'll be release in the 1H09, so unless we're already in July, they have been on point.

What more do they need to release that they haven't release already for the addicts? And exactly what courtesy do they really need to extend? It boggles my mind when a new thread about how one can't stand it anymore because no new info is given or how Palm is gonna fail because they're releasing it so close to the iphone. The tech nerds compromise less than 1% of all cellphone subscribers and they only buy a new phone when their contract is up, not whenever new bleeding edge technology pops up every 6 months.

Moan and complain AFTER the month of June and nothing is released, but to do so now is futile and a waste of bandwidth since we all know the same people that moan and groan will be the same people that complain its not ready for prime time if it did come out early.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post

What more do they need to release that they haven't release already for the addicts? And exactly what courtesy do they really need to extend? It boggles my mind when a new thread about how one can't stand it anymore because no new info is given or how Palm is gonna fail because they're releasing it so close to the iphone. The tech nerds compromise less than 1% of all cellphone subscribers and they only buy a new phone when their contract is up, not whenever new bleeding edge technology pops up every 6 months.
    I agree with you 100%, of all the people I've asked, none of them have heard of the Pre. A couple are Palm users already, couple HTC users. These were people that bought phones on launch day.

I also asked the guy that takes of cell phones for our company, he had heard NOTHING about the Palm Pre, and we are with Sprint.

I would say 98% of the people have no idea what is even going on.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    At this point in time, neither Sprint nor Palm should be leaving anybody in the dark about this launch. We're nearing month 5 of 6 and we still don't know how much they plan on selling it for, nor the expected launch date. Considering the financial situation both companies are in, you would think it'd be better for them to provide as much information as they can about the launch of this product then nothing at all - which (IMO) is a huge mistake to hold off as long as they have.

With the Pre having been in development for a few years now, I can't imagine that there's anything major remaining that would cripple the phone to a point where we'd consider the Pre a "POS." We've watched several video demos of Palm representatives showing off the device and what it is capable of, and I think we (the community here at PreCentral) can agree that this phone is awesome and will continue to be after we get our hands on it.

Palm has already said themselves they plan to offer OTA updates on the device so I see no real excuse for any more delay.

As far as I'm concerned they owe it to us to at least provide the cost and expected launch date.
    OK, again - why do they "owe" it to you now? Maybe it has been in development for a long time, most phones have been before they come to market (the iPhone was at least 2 years old before commercialization), but once you get close to commercialization, you have to cover a lot of bases on the Sprint network - and possibly the "cloud" om Palm's side. Hiccups happen (re: Treo Pro - which was NOTHING new and it had a last minute glitch in the software related to Sprint) and Sprint/Palm want to make sure that when 300K are sold in the first few days that they all work. The LAST thing I want is for all of these "connected" devices to bring our network to a grind (re: What the iPhone has done to bandwidth at ATT), so proper testing is appropriate. And what if they came out today and said "May 17 for $199" and May 17 came and went with no roll-out (again re: Treo Pro) - OMG, blood bath!

You folks really act there is some sort of conspiracy going on here - l am sure NO ONE wants that phone out any faster than than Sprint and Palm. "Excuses"??

Gotta unsubscribe to this thread, now I am getting mad.....

I am positive that if it came to market too early, they would be getting ripped to shreds right now by the very same folks that wanted it quick. I can't wait to see how long it takes for the first "The Pre is a POS, back it goes!" or 'I waited x months for this POS?!?" threads. 2 days after intro, maybe?

So, sit tight and enjoy the rumor-mill fun. I am.
    I am not really upset or anything, I was just making some points. My Centro works fine so I am all along for the ride untill I get to replace it.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitalis View Post
    At this point in time, neither Sprint nor Palm should be leaving anybody in the dark about this launch. We're nearing month 5 of 6 and we still don't know how much they plan on selling it for, nor the expected launch date. Considering the financial situation both companies are in, you would think it'd be better for them to provide as much information as they can about the launch of this product then nothing at all - which (IMO) is a huge mistake to hold off as long as they have.
    That's just it - given the precarious financial situation, they only have one chance to get this right. They're not going to give you a specific launch date that they MIGHT be able to meet if everything goes well. If problems occur and they miss that date, it'd be disastrous. Just think...one of their earlier EOL inventory sheets showed the expected Palm Pre in stock (in Sprint warehouses) date as 3/15. So let's say they thought that was reasonable and set up April 4th as the launch date.

Due to internal testing, supposed screen issues, and whatever else happened at the last minute...here we are at May 1st, and there is no Pre to be seen in stores. So now instead of people being excited for the device, they're angry and/or doubtful about Sprint and Palm (not) making it to market and they move on. Even if the Pre launched on May 2, it's a tarnished lunch, and its lateness becomes part of the story just as much as its virtues.

With the Pre having been in development for a few years now, I can't imagine that there's anything major remaining that would cripple the phone to a point where we'd consider the Pre a "POS." We've watched several video demos of Palm representatives showing off the device and what it is capable of, and I think we (the community here at PreCentral) can agree that this phone is awesome and will continue to be after we get our hands on it.
    You've seen demos of the same 7-8 features over and over using dummy data. And while that may show part of what the device is capable of, it does not show what it currently does and does not do and how well it does it in real-world conditions.

There are PLENTY of major issues the Pre could have with its software at this point.

Palm has already said themselves they plan to offer OTA updates on the device so I see no real excuse for any more delay.
    If the out-of-the-box experience is not good, the company may not survive long enough to provide too many updates.
    Last edited by mikah912; 05/01/2009 at 12:55 PM.
    Everyone wants more information and marketing to have already started, but directly marketing a device that isn't out can only be done for so long. If they started directly marketing the Pre and all its features already (television ads is what I am talking about, btw, because I am aware there have been internet and print ads here and there), I am sure everyone here would be getting upset about them furthering their gadget lust while not having delivered. Advertising has a shelf life, and there is a fine line they need to tread.

We will know when they are ready to let us know and when they are finally confident they can have as bug free a launch as possible with supply in place and people trained to deal with the new device. Doing anything but is irresponsible and equally damaging. We have seen many cases of companies bowing to the pressure and releasing half-baked devices and getting significant blowback for it even if the problems can be easily fixed later (Storm anyone?). Initial reviews matter big time, Vista is still hurting from its early hiccups and the Storm is finally starting to recover. Palm can't afford similar hiccups and needs to ensure strong showings early. As has been noted before, the same people clamoring for speed will be the first to criticize when it doesn't live up to expectations.

We have all been waiting patiently,we only have a little longer to go. As they say, our patience will be rewarded. They are not late yet, give them the time they allotted to themselves before getting upset with them.
  17.    #17  
    With all of these type posts (Eguy is even putting it in his avatar) I wonder why people are so pissed - why do you think it is your god-given right to have Palm or Sprint tell you any more than they have? "Common courtesy"? Come on, what world do you guys really live in?

It's amazing how a little post like what I typed could make someone take such offense.......... For one, it was a fun thread to start for people to vent a little, because we all know Palm is watching and people like you get your panties in a bunch defending Palm like you are running the company.

No one here is truly angry..................
    This is the sorest subject that gets started on this forum... and on a regular basis.

Tsk, it's a shame.
  19.    #19  

Gotta unsubscribe to this thread, now I am getting mad.....
    You'll be ok.......
    Get in the lotus potition and say it with me, people...

Ooohhmmm...
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast