Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    To hparsons, true it's not over yet, but do they intend to wait until the very last moment or something? A phone that's supposd to bring them out of the huge slump they've been in and they aren't even pushing it??? They're actually handling this very much like the Treos they never really advertised. I honestly don't think that's a good road to go down and repeat.
    What do you feel is an appropriate time before release to begin advertising. What type of advertising? How much money do you think the advertising will cost?
    I thought I said how long before release in quite a few other posts. NOW, LOL!

Internet ads seem cheaper to me than print or TV ads. I see AT&T and Verizon ads pop up everywhere so why not Sprint introducing the general public to the Pre?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    IMO, I think you will see ads mentioning the Pre about a week before intro - maybe 2. Then you will see an all out blitz for a few weeks afterwards, possibly all the way through the iPhone launch. So, we'll start to see Pre related commercials on or around memorial day weekend.

Just a bubba's opinion......

Internet ads seem cheaper to me than print or TV ads. I see AT&T and Verizon ads pop up everywhere so why not Sprint introducing the general public to the Pre?
    You answered neither question. Now is not "how long before", since we don't know when they will be released.

Which is cheaper does not answer the question of how much.

I'll ask another question, which AT&T and/or Verizon ads are advertising phones they don't have?
    I don't know how much the internet sites are charging the carriers.

And the reaon why I say NOW(or SOON) is because we're pretty close to the deadline and that other phone is making an announcement SOON also.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I'll ask another question, which AT&T and/or Verizon ads are advertising phones they don't have?

I'm trying to establish a bit of a pattern here for you.

Palm nor sprint are advertising heavily right now, because the product isn't available. They ARE advertising. They have it on their web sites, and I've heard of other banner type ads here and there. They spent money on the hype at the trade shows (and you can just about bet that the money spent came out of the marketing budget).

All of this is from the same pot - marketing. The type of ads you're used to seeing simply would not make sense right now. The product is not available to purchase. When it is, if you don't see advertising, you'll have a point. And I'll be right there with you asking the same questions.
    I'm not on Verizon so I don't know all of what they have or don't have too much at this point.

As for AT&T, their internet ads lately seem to be for sales on existing phones or advertising texting phones. The phones I've seen them advertise beforehand that I remember: one is the original RAZR and the other, the iPhone(although that may have been an Apple ad mentioning AT&T). I think I saw the Bold advertised a bit early also. That was a TV ad. Same with the Storm on Verizon. I stopped watching a lot of TV but AT&T was doing some heavy TV advertising for a while on their newest hot phones and a few weren't out yet but were "coming soon".
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/05/2009 at 03:10 PM.

I'm not on Verizon so I don't know all of what they have or don't have too much at this point.

As for AT&T, their internet ads lately seem to be for sales on existing phones or advertising texting phones. The phones I've seen them advertise beforehand that I remember:
    You're being a bit wiggly on this one (not that the guys on here would mind a wiggly Diva...

Here's what I was responding to:

I see AT&T and Verizon ads pop up everywhere so why not Sprint introducing the general public to the Pre?
    (my emphasis on "see").

I'll let the thread drop though, I think I've pretty well made my point.
    Even though everyone "hates"* the BB storm it was a succesful launch.
    We had billboards here where I live at least a month before it was actually launched. Pretty sure the number of people who knew the orginal iPhone coming is quite larger then the number of people who even heard the words Palm Pre.

The main reason I want more advertising is so people become aware of it.
    More people that buy it the more money palm makes which means more updates and money to spend on researching new WebOS devices.
    The more people that buy it the more interest that Devs will have to make apps for it.

*I actually know a good amount of people who like it..
    It's not at least a month yet before June 7th. Or the launch could be later..who knows. Just saying..be patient. An announcement of the release date would start things off (and jump start the buzz..this is the big news right?). You won't see any ad blitz til then.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It's not at least a month yet before June 7th. Or the launch could be later..who knows. Just saying..be patient. An announcement of the release date would start things off (and jump start the buzz..this is the big news right?). You won't see any ad blitz til then.
    Well technically it is as of right now at least a month before June 7th. Because at the minimum it is a month away. But anyways.

I wonder what kind of event they will have when they actually announce the release date. It will be intresting to see what medium they will choose to first announce the release date!.
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    I wonder what kind of event they will have when they actually announce the release date. It will be intresting to see what medium they will choose to first announce the release date!.
    My bet is a concurrent web site and email announcment (with a link to the web site).
    you can only tease for so long before interest curdles into frustration.

TECHNOLOGY Blog | The Dallas Morning News
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts

Hi Diva,

I opened Pandora before coming to the Forums just a bit ago & guess what?--A Sprint Now Network ad featuring the Pre. Sounds like they may be taking your advice.

Cheers
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    No, because it would be a disaster to market an unfinished product with no firm release date to the general public, who we can assume are not dying of thirst for a new smartphone and OS from Palm. They aren't going to react like the people in this forum and get mad that they don't get more info...they're simply going to forget about it and treat it like an also-ran when Palm and Sprint finally do get the launch details and finished device together.

Make no mistake...I think Sprint should start marketing this and many other phones VERY SOON. But not if the Pre isn't ready and they don't have a release date.
    It wouldn't be a disaster to advertise the unfinished product UNLESS they can't meet their 1st 1/2 of 2009 self-imposed deadline. As for the public "dying of thirst" for a new smartphone and OS, that could be said of the iPhone prior to its release. Apple created the thirst. That's what advertising does. That's why it is so important for Palm/Sprint to have a great marketing campaign for this device. They need to create the need. They need to make the public at large believe that they can't live without this device.

To hparsons, true it's not over yet, but do they intend to wait until the very last moment or something? A phone that's supposd to bring them out of the huge slump they've been in and they aren't even pushing it??? They're actually handling this very much like the Treos they never really advertised. I honestly don't think that's a good road to go down and repeat.
    I agree. Handling this device like the Treos would be a big mistake IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    It wouldn't be a disaster to advertise the unfinished product UNLESS they can't meet their 1st 1/2 of 2009 self-imposed deadline. As for the public "dying of thirst" for a new smartphone and OS, that could be said of the iPhone prior to its release. Apple created the thirst. That's what advertising does. That's why it is so important for Palm/Sprint to have a great marketing campaign for this device. They need to create the need. They need to make the public at large believe that they can't live without this device..
    There's a thirst among the tech world already. Every detail and rumor about it is news.

But there's a chance they might not meet their deadline, and as long as there is, they shouldn't be running "Coming Soon" commercials. Sprint has one chance to make a first impression with the public-at-large, and it had better come with a release date at the end of the commercial.
    There are exactly 8 weeks until June 30. They have plenty of time to ramp up advertising and give the Pre all the pushing it needs before their self imposed deadline (they even have plenty of time to launch before). They have started already with web ads and the Sprint Now Network commercials (with the tease of the Pre at the end). They need to rebuild the Sprint name first because they can't afford people not buying because they are wary of Sprint. They need to effectively sell the network before they can sell the phone on their network. This effort has been going on for weeks and seems to be working, at least according to the advertising trade publications.
    Once they have softened the ground and are ready for the launch, then and only then will they start selling the phone itself and begin the Pre specific television advertising. This blitz will probably take about 2 weeks. If they start spending money before on the phone itself it is wasted as too little gained for too much spent. People have the attention span of tsetse flies, if you push too hard for too long without the product out people will start ignoring you. It will run similar to a movie promotion, they will begin with a couple of ads here and there in targeted programs with a steady widening and deepening of the advertising across more shows and networks. It will reach a climax the day after release and then they will start scaling it back to targeted marketing again.
    Fret not, there is time contrary to popular sentiment. They have limited advertising dollars and you can't spend them all early and expect to get the best bang for the buck.
    Also, and this is complete speculation, but don't neglect the power of some of their cross promotions, I wouldn't be shocked if Sprint leverages the NASCAR ties to help launch this thing, especially as we approach that time of year when NASCAR and baseball (with smatterings of soccer) are the entirety of the domestic sports calendar.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    It's almost here guys. Be patient.

For those who can't wait. Buy another phone and shut up.
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    It's almost here guys. Be patient.

For those who can't wait. Buy another phone and shut up.
    No. It's perfectly valid to voice frustration and even concern over sprint's inability to communicate or update. Many of us will continue to do so until they give us some kind of update. So I submit to you to either get use to it or visit another site.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    No. It's perfectly valid to voice frustration and even concern over sprint's inability to communicate or update. Many of us will continue to do so until they give us some kind of update. So I submit to you to either get use to it or visit another site.
    As the Joker said, "Why so seriouuusha!"
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast