Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    June is way more specific than "the first half of" a given year?

How's that? In both cases, the window ends in six months from January. The only difference is that there's a small chance Palm/Sprint could release theirs early.
    June is June. "It'll be released 1st half" can easily be taken to mean any time before July 1.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    [COLOR="Navy"]That's just the problem, they AREN'T marketing to build any momentum for the release!! If the release date is "1st half of 2009" and it's almost over, WHEN'S a good time to start mentioning the product???
    They've already "started" mentioning it to most tastemakers in the industry, hence why Bigfoot-like Pre sightings make all of the tech blogs go wild.

But mainstream marketing without a release date and/or finished software? Why waste the money? Think of it as a movie studio releasing a blockbuster. They usually start far off with no firm release date and a teaser trailer. That's what CES was. That's what the Palm.com "Meet pre" videos and app demos have been.

Once the release date is set, the blitz begins.
    It's to keep people from buying or considering other phones in the meantime. There's only 2 months left, NOW'S the time to say something!

If we were a straight GSM country though, this wouldn't be completely necessary.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I think AT&T DID have a solid release date on the Nokia E71x, but had to push it back to butcher the firmware some more, besides that email bug.
    I would fully expect Palm to let us know if they have to push back the release date. So far, they haven't had to, thus no announcement.
    There's another rumor posted about the May 17th date. They are really cutting it close with no advertising and no info, if that's true/

People are going to complain no matter what Price or Release date. When they annouce the prices people will complain - they want to keep there SERO plan or the release date is too close to the iPhone.
    I am excited about this phone and all that but some of you really need to take a pill and relax a bit.

Chances are, with how little we know, the 5/17 date is incorrect. That also explains why we haven't started seeing ads, whey reps aren't using demo units and why we have very little in the way of leaked information.

So don't get the panties in a wad, if it releases two - four weeks later so be it.

When it gets close trust me we'll know.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbrad425 View Post
    People are going to complain no matter what Price or Release date. When they annouce the prices people will complain - they want to keep there SERO plan or the release date is too close to the iPhone.
    Yes but there will be MUCH less complaining once we know. Since nobody knows, we're all complaining. Myself included. Personally I'm sick of being in the dark about this.
  9.    #69  
    I just want a palm rep. or a Sprint rep. to post us a love note, giving us some tidbits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aridon View Post
    I am excited about this phone and all that but some of you really need to take a pill and relax a bit.

Chances are, with how little we know, the 5/17 date is incorrect. That also explains why we haven't started seeing ads, whey reps aren't using demo units and why we have very little in the way of leaked information.

So don't get the panties in a wad, if it releases two - four weeks later so be it.

When it gets close trust me we'll know.
    Problem is the rumor mill, when someone posted the 5/17, there are many who thinks that is the REAL release date whether they want to admit it or not. So not seeing any ads make them squirm. You're right about one thing, when the release date is 2 weeks out, people WILL see the ads. So its best to take a pill and relax. Just because they aren't marketing it the way some of you would doesn't mean they're not doing it right.
    And the fact that this phone isn't even known in the general public too well doesn't bother you?

And the fact that this phone isn't even known in the general public too well doesn't bother you?
    No, because it would be a disaster to market an unfinished product with no firm release date to the general public, who we can assume are not dying of thirst for a new smartphone and OS from Palm. They aren't going to react like the people in this forum and get mad that they don't get more info...they're simply going to forget about it and treat it like an also-ran when Palm and Sprint finally do get the launch details and finished device together.

Make no mistake...I think Sprint should start marketing this and many other phones VERY SOON. But not if the Pre isn't ready and they don't have a release date.
    Yet some of you keep saying we do have a firm release date.

We have until June 30.

Although that's still vague IMO, that date is now getting closer and closer as the days pass with NO info and NO true Pre ads. By the time Memorial Day hits, if there's no info yet, I'm probably pretty much done for the time being.

We have until June 30.

Although that's still vague IMO, that date is now getting closer and closer as the days pass with NO info and NO true Pre ads. By the time Memorial Day hits, if there's no info yet, I'm probably pretty much done for the time being.
    Honestly, I've been "done" hanging on every word, whisper, and rumor about this thing.

I'm kind of happy that I had to get another handset or week or so back because it took my mind off this hype completely. And now that I'm enjoying features that I otherwise would've only enjoyed for the first time on the Palm Pre, I can evaluate the Pre much better on its unique attributes, rather than being initially overwhelmed at enjoying the full touchscreen version of Sprint Nav or something like that.

Whenever the Pre gets here, it gets here.

We have until June 30.

If June 30 is the release date, it would be foolish to start advertising now. Sprint would have to continue to advertise a product they don't have for 2 months.

But, June 30 is not the release date. Neither Sprint or Palm have released a date. They have stated that will be out the first half of 2009. That's not a release date; however, it gives everyone an idea on when to expect it.

I suspect that you will first hear a firm release date, then see print ads shortly after that, and broadcast ads either shortly (as in a few days, a week at most) before it's released, possibly even after.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    If June 30 is the release date, it would be foolish to start advertising now. Sprint would have to continue to advertise a product they don't have for 2 months.

But, June 30 is not the release date. Neither Sprint or Palm have released a date. They have stated that will be out the first half of 2009. That's not a release date; however, it gives everyone an idea on when to expect it.

I suspect that you will first hear a firm release date, then see print ads shortly after that, and broadcast ads either shortly (as in a few days, a week at most) before it's released, possibly even after.
    Thank you for admitting that "1st half of 2009" is not a true release date.

However, we're fast approaching the end of the first half and still no word about ANYTHING concerning the Pre, from Palm and Sprint.

Why is everyone convinced the main brunt of the ad campaign will start BEFORE the pre is sold?

If supply issues are real, then it's not hard to believe they would trickle a few out without much advertising to the nerds like us, then start the campaign after the supplies start coming in.
    Thank you for admitting that "1st half of 2009" is not a true release date.

However, we're fast approaching the end of the first half and still no word about ANYTHING concerning the Pre, from Palm and Sprint.
    I don't think anyone here ever said it was a release date. I missed it if they did.

And yes, we are fast approaching the the end of the first half. I guess I should thank you for acknowledging that it hasn't happened yet.

We have until June 30.

I'm not a marketing expert, far from it haha. BUT, I agree, next month June! They have just under 2 months to build up public knowledge and hype, they need to do that, Palm isn't a popular brand and this is supposed to be a make or break product. So they NEED to start the build up in the media now.
    If they have to move the launch then the media will just give them very bad press. AND Apple will have announced it's new iPhone by then.
    When it's launched in the UK, it will have the said iPhone, Nokia N97 and the Sony Ericsson Idou and what I suspect a couple of new Android phones to compete with.
    To hparsons, true it's not over yet, but do they intend to wait until the very last moment or something? A phone that's supposd to bring them out of the huge slump they've been in and they aren't even pushing it??? They're actually handling this very much like the Treos they never really advertised. I honestly don't think that's a good road to go down and repeat.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast