Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    By saying nothing, nothing can blow up in their face. If they say Anything positive that's definitive, and it doesn't come out exactly the way they say, then they will have fubar on their hands.

Sprint can't afford that, and Palm can't afford that.

Personally, I think it would be a mistake to air the first commercial specifically naming the Pre before it was available to purchase.

I also think it would be a mistake to name a specific date until the devices are on location ready to be unboxed.

Probably the one area I think they could lighten up a little on is price. But, it could be they're deliberately trying to keep the competition off their toes on that one.
    I Think it is a mistake that most people in the Mainstream do not have a clue what a Palm Pre is. Because they can't sell a product noone knows about. How can they not know specific dates this late in the game unless it is going to be late. IF they can't they should stop messing with people and say it is going to be late. IF they know they can get out into store in the next 2 months then they have a pretty good idea of what date would work.
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    It's interesting that a couple of people have cited the fact that not many people even know about the Pre. If I were the on-high muckity-muck of either company, that would concern me more than the tech geeks salivating and complaining about not having the phone in their hands yet. This phone is to be the savior of Palm (some think Sprint as well). Wouldn't you want there to be a huge buzz (ala, dare I say it...the iPhone) before you release? If, as some think, the buzz is actually a low whisper, maybe the marketing departments of both companies need to start gearing up.

Personally, I believe that either the Sprint system is not yet ready for the Pre (meaning the 3g network), or Palm hasn't been able to get enough phones produced. Once the issue(s) have been addressed, the phone will be released.
    This has been stated more than once.

But apparently Sprint and Palm don't get that actually MENTIONING the product helps market it and make it a household name. I'm really confused about their marketing strategies.

BTW, Sprint should be more than ready for the Pre since they keep telling us about the high speed "NOW" network and showing 3G and 4G in some ads.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    As mad as I am about their lack of information, I will hold judgement until the campaign is over. Who knows, they might have a genius marketing plan when all is said and done.
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    Given Sprint's track record for successful phone launches... It's highly doubtful...
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    It's interesting that a couple of people have cited the fact that not many people even know about the Pre. If I were the on-high muckity-muck of either company, that would concern me more than the tech geeks salivating and complaining about not having the phone in their hands yet. This phone is to be the savior of Palm (some think Sprint as well). Wouldn't you want there to be a huge buzz (ala, dare I say it...the iPhone) before you release? If, as some think, the buzz is actually a low whisper, maybe the marketing departments of both companies need to start gearing up.

Personally, I believe that either the Sprint system is not yet ready for the Pre (meaning the 3g network), or Palm hasn't been able to get enough phones produced. Once the issue(s) have been addressed, the phone will be released.

Yeah all my peers around here have no clue about the Palm Pre. A Fellow Sys Admin (we are both in our late 20's) was talking about getting a blackberry. I was like you should wait for the palm Pre. He was like "Oh I think I heard about that? Does it run Window Mobile like the Centro" . And most my friends have never heard about it or at least heard about it but have no clue what it is or would consider it as a phone to get. Maybe they do have some genius marketing team that is way smarting than I(very likely the better at advertising then me part). But I would think with only 2 months left in the launch window they would want more people to know what their offering then the people who is a member of a forum called Precentral.. They have already sold me on the idea. They have their work cut out for them selling it to average people.
    ONLY 2 words for you BLACKBERRY STORM

People in their forums didn't even know what it looked like 1 month before the release....and were demanding the same.. WE WANT IT NOW!! Now that forum is a bloodbath with beata OS's and a slow and laggy phone (if your running origional OS)

The phone is VERY near to completion.. we are no more then 60 days away at this point.

I know we all want the phone and it's so close... i have that "i need to take a tinkle" cuz i'm so excited feeling... we are close to the finish line.. just have to stay strong. They kept the blackberry storm out of EVERYONES hands.. cuz they knew it was not ready..
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    ONLY 2 words for you BLACKBERRY STORM
    The storm was announced on October 8 and launched November 21. And according to you people were clamoring for it to be released with only that short of a wait. So if sprint/palm really wanted to make everyone on this board happy they would have just kept it secret until a couple weeks before launch or less. But then how many here would have already bought something else?

I'm starting to think sprint just might be genious. They announce it 6 months early so the gadget geeks all wait for it, but don't start advertising to the general public until just before launch because as pissed off as everyone on this forum is, it's a small number of people. Sprint doesn't need the general public pissed off too.
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    The storm was announced on October 8 and launched November 21. And according to you people were clamoring for it to be released with only that short of a wait. So if sprint/palm really wanted to make everyone on this board happy they would have just kept it secret until a couple weeks before launch or less. But then how many here would have already bought something else?

I'm starting to think sprint just might be genious. They announce it 6 months early so the gadget geeks all wait for it, but don't start advertising to the general public until just before launch because as pissed off as everyone on this forum is, it's a small number of people. Sprint doesn't need the general public pissed off too.
    Not only that, announcing it CES gave it tons of (relatively) free press.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    They're not saying ANYTHING though, not even that the Pre is still being tested on the network or whatever. That's what's getting people antsy.
    With all due respect, I don't think I have ever seen any official communications from a carrier saying they were testing a certain new device on the network or that it was even in the lab. Now they might say they are testing a new service in a certain market (WiMax for example), but never heard or read ATT say they were testing the iPhone 30-60 days before release or VZW saying they were testing the Storm before a release. Maybe I missed those - so please correct me with links to that information if I am incorrect.
    Because they've had people hanging on since the CES announcement and have given very little info since then. Just a vague "first half of 2009" release date. They created the want for the Pre and now will not even offer any updates on the release.

No wonder some people just said "screw it, I'm getting a phone I know is out." If they don't have "time" to give any info, some consumers don't have time to keep waiting.

Corporations who play games with consumers **** me off. And that would be quite a few, not just Palm or Sprint, for the record.
    Then I guess your next choice will be an iPhone (per your signature) since Apple never plays this game with their customers. Yep, the day they announced the iPhone (on January 7, 2007), they also provided the shipping date and price. Or they did that in March or April or May? No.....

If the Pre lives up to the hype from a functionality standpoint, there will be plenty of people ready to buy it - even if a few in this forum are tired of waiting on it and move on.

As we get closer to the actual date, I am sure Sprint's marketing will start talking more about the Pre by name. I actually think the subtle marketing is pretty cool - just like Verizon did with the Storm.
    [COLOR="Navy"]But apparently Sprint and Palm don't get that actually MENTIONING the product helps market it and make it a household name. I'm really confused about their marketing strategies.
    Who says they're marketing the Pre yet? It's not ready for market, and thus not ready for marketing.

I mean, on one hand, people are complaining that the release date of "the first half of '09" is too vague and they want more specifics, and they're MAD that they're not getting them!

On the other hand, they want Sprint and Palm to start marketing this device to the mainstream, even though these details haven't been figured out as of yet. So that way, hundreds of thousands if not millions of potential customers can...also get vague details about a hot new device coming "soon".

Essentially, people are saying "The only way for you to stop this failing strategy, Palm and Sprint, is to expose to a lot more people where it will fail on a much wider scale!"
    Well I'm not sure if it was ""official" or not, but AT&T did state that the Blackberry Bold would be late due to testing. They also allowed it to be known that the Nokia E71x is late due to needing to reflash the firmware due to some email issue. Although both of these may not be general public knowledge outside of techie boards.

AT&T pushing back Nokia E71x launch?

Nokia E71x misses rumored launch date on AT&T

I'm not expecting them to tell all before the launch so the competition can get a leg up. I'm just saying that Sprint or Palm should at least drop SOMETHING about how the progress is going now that they've gotten the tech community excited and also dropped a few hints mainstream. Some people are starting to think the Pre is DOA(that guy's article mentioned in another post for one).

Apple certainly has no problem allowing leak after leak of new beta firmware. At least we know they're making progress. Even if they screw up and the firmware is late, we know what they're doing.

P.S. Let me try searching for the Blackberry Bold info, Engadget has a terrible search function IMO.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
    Then I guess your next choice will be an iPhone (per your signature) since Apple never plays this game with their customers. Yep, the day they announced the iPhone (on January 7, 2007), they also provided the shipping date and price. Or they did that in March or April or May? No.....
    I thought they did say June and I believe they met that on the very last day or something, LOL! June is way more specific than "1st half of" whatever year. True they never mentioned the price until the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Who says they're marketing the Pre yet? It's not ready for market, and thus not ready for marketing.

I mean, on one hand, people are complaining that the release date of "the first half of '09" is too vague and they want more specifics, and they're MAD that they're not getting them!

On the other hand, they want Sprint and Palm to start marketing this device to the mainstream, even though these details haven't been figured out as of yet. So that way, hundreds of thousands if not millions of potential customers can...also get vague details about a hot new device coming "soon".

Essentially, people are saying "The only way for you to stop this failing strategy, Palm and Sprint, is to expose to a lot more people where it will fail on a much wider scale!"
    That's just the problem, they AREN'T marketing to build any momentum for the release!! If the release date is "1st half of 2009" and it's almost over, WHEN'S a good time to start mentioning the product???

Or maybe they're just planning to release the device and say "it's here, buy it". AT&T does this a lot, but they aren't in the toilet(yet) so they can afford to do this. Plus they have sense enough not to do this with their top devices.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 05/01/2009 at 11:37 PM.

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    What makes me more angry is all the ridiculous threads asking questions about the Pre as though it exists in the wild. And now we have to go through the same thing with the Eos and Pixie. Ugh... I wish 90% of threads on non-existent phones were closed and locked. Even worse are the threads already kickin' the Pre while pretty much still in the womb. Come on! Don't we have better things to do? Oh, and all the whining about EVERYTHING. Yep, that's what really gets me.
    Diva - OK, examples are of devices being "late" - but ATT never set a firm date for release - the article is even titled "rumored launch date". So I guess it is a good thing that we have not seen anything about the Pre being "late" which means it is still in line with the "first half of 2009" promise. We are getting "leaks" - plenty of them. Just not the firm date many believe they are entitled to.

The Pre is being handled/marketed no differently than the iPhone was (or really continues to be - has Apple or ATT given you a release date for a new device that, BTW, we really don't know exists?) or any RIM device or any other smartphone - like it or not.
    I think AT&T DID have a solid release date on the Nokia E71x, but had to push it back to butcher the firmware some more, besides that email bug. That's their MO.

Apple gave no release date, but allow far too many leaks so we know something's going to be announced at their sold out conference. They usually do give a more or less accurate(and more specific) release time frame.

As for RIM, the leaked new device and release date rumors often pan out. We get far more info from RIM leaks than we're ever getting from Palm/Sprint "leaks".

I thought they did say June and I believe they met that on the very last day or something, LOL! June is way more specific than "1st half of" whatever year. True they never mentioned the price until the last minute.
    June is way more specific than "the first half of" a given year?

How's that? In both cases, the window ends in six months from January. The only difference is that there's a small chance Palm/Sprint could release theirs early.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast