Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    Some weeks ago, there were rumors about the Pre making a big debut on the Survivor finale. While this may still happen, after seeing tonights Episode of Survivor, I have some serious doubts. At the end of the show, during the preview for the next episode, you see one of the contestants holding a Sprint phone (extreme close up showing the entire phone) and watching a video from their family back in the States.

    The phone the person was holding was.............. drumroll......... the new S30 Instinct!

    Where does this leave us? Well...during the earlier episodes, they always use the old Instinct to advertise during the commercials. They obviously timed it right to show the new S30 Instinct at a point in the season when the S30 is already available for public consumption.

    So, it's anyones guess... will we still see the Pre during the finale, or is the Instinct the Survivor phone?

    I for one doubt we will see the Pre in any of the remaining episodes of Surivivor, and because of this, I doubt that there will be a May 17 launch.

    I know this should be in the speculation thread, but then again, it might get lost in the madness there. Mods, feel free to move this after it's run its course.
  2. TPavey's Avatar
    Posts
    66 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    #2  
    When I started contemplating switching to the Pre then I started noticing all the Sprint product placement on the various television shows. I am betting I am not the only one. I think that people for the most part now pretty much ignore product placement. I wonder what the cost is to Sprint for their placement in shows like Survivor and 24. While we are on the subject... the CEO talking really doesn't help either when he comes on 2 seconds after I see news clips of CEOs getting big bonuses after making terrible business decisions. The new adds with the counters spinning and such do stand out. They are bright and memorable.

    Okay...sorry I dragged that off topic.

    Survivor is shot far ahead of time. It is likely that at the time, Palm was not confident in the time window and Sprint didn't want to debut a device that was not on the shelves yet. People can watch this show and then go buy the new instinct. Product placement doesn't work as a "preview" because people will go in and say "I want that phone I saw yesterday..."
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by tpavey View Post
    Survivor is shot far ahead of time. It is likely that at the time, Palm was not confident in the time window and Sprint didn't want to debut a device that was not on the shelves yet. People can watch this show and then go buy the new instinct. Product placement doesn't work as a "preview" because people will go in and say "I want that phone I saw yesterday..."
    Survivor may have been shot ahead of time, but the finale episode is always live.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Where does this leave us? Well...during the earlier episodes, they always use the old Instinct to advertise during the commercials. They obviously timed it right to show the new S30 Instinct at a point in the season when the S30 is already available for public consumption.

    So, it's anyones guess... will we still see the Pre during the finale, or is the Instinct the Survivor phone?

    I for one doubt we will see the Pre in any of the remaining episodes of Surivivor, and because of this, I doubt that there will be a May 17 launch.
    I'm trying to understand your logic here that you doubt a May 17th release of the Pre simply because it hasn't been shown on Survivor.
    Based on what you've said, they're just now showing the S30 on the show, and it was only during a preview of what's to come. So basically the S30 will have been available for several weeks before even being shown on Survivor. Wouldn't this make it more likely that the Pre will come out on May 17th, and if it is their intent to use it on Survivor, that it appear several weeks after being made available?

    EDIT: just searched and see that the final Survivor episode is on the 17th. Hmmm. Maybe the Pre will be in the next season or shown during the reunion episode at 10pm EST, but still released on the 17th.
    Last edited by NachoB; 05/01/2009 at 07:40 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

    HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post
    I'm trying to understand your logic here that you doubt a May 17th release of the Pre simply because it hasn't been shown on Survivor.
    Based on what you've said, they're just now showing the S30 on the show, and it was only during a preview of what's to come. So basically the S30 will have been available for several weeks before even being shown on Survivor. Wouldn't this make it more likely that the Pre will come out on May 17th, and if it is their intent to use it on Survivor, that it appear several weeks after being made available?

    EDIT: just searched and see that the final Survivor episode is on the 17th. Hmmm. Maybe the Pre will be in the next season or shown during the reunion episode at 10pm EST, but still released on the 17th.
    Exactly....because the finale is on the 17th, people were hoping that the Pre will make a debut in the weeks before the Finale. Being that Survivor is already at the stage where the contestants get to see videos from home on a phone, and being that we have to make due with the Instinct, I doubt there will be an appearance of the Pre...besides actual Pre commercials around Survivor. If the preview for next weeks show would have shown the guy holding a Pre to watch the Videos...I'd be willing to say May 17 is IT!
  6. #6  
    They shoot survior months before hand... per wikipedia, "The Brazilian Highlands was produced in 2008 and premiered on February 12, 2009." With everything secret that palm has done with this phone they aren't going to show it to survivor before the rest of the world. Hell they probably didn't even know if Sprint was thier carrier of choice yet.

    Nick

    PS. on a sad side note I just realized that there are 18 seasons of "Survivor" aired with 20 seasons ordered... makes me wonder what kind of TV have we been watching and where has the time gone
  7.    #7  
    Haha...notice the Survivor add on the top of this page where you can apply for the next season?

    Sprint has been a Sponsor for Survivor for quite a few seasons.
  8. #8  
    I think it is quite legitimate. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the finalists holding the Pre. I really don't watch Survivor, but from what I understand the finale is shot live.

    I still do not see May 17th as a completely dead date. Maybe that will be the day we can order through telesales, or maybe Premier customers can order theirs then.

    I'm still wondering what is up with the "2nd launch date" that no one can speak about. What the heck is that about?
    -Goatin' Ain't Easy-
  9.    #9  
    They are being secretive about the second launch date, which makes me think it will be earlier than the June 7th one. So that might be May 17 or May 31? We'll find out!

Posting Permissions