1.    #1  
    Will they work together? If I use universal search to find somewhere on google maps will I be able to send that address to the navigation app easily? I know it's likely all speculation at this point, but those who have had palm devices in the past might be able to speculate better than I.
    Probably.
    From seeing how Sprint Navi works on my Touch, I doubt it will. In other words, searching for something on google maps won't give you the option for Sprint Navi to take over from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    From seeing how Sprint Navi works on my Touch, I doubt it will. In other words, searching for something on google maps won't give you the option for Sprint Navi to take over from there.
    Yea but you could probably copy and paste the address.
    Quote Originally Posted by ldfrombigd View Post
    Yea but you could probably copy and paste the address.
    As long as you don't use the web browser to find the address. :P
    Honestly, I think this is pretty stupid. If I'm going to be searching for an address, why not give the option to pass the search along to Sprint Navigation, instead of Google Maps, seeing as Sprint Navigation has a pretty good POI database as well? Hopefully in future upgrades for the Pre (if it's not already possible) they'll add this.
  7.    #7  
    That's what I suspected, because when they demo'd the sprint nav, they looked for the pois in sprint nav instead of the universal search. I currently have a standalone garmin GPS and it's POI database is terrible, I don't know how sprint's is but Google maps is pretty much the definitive database of where stuff is.

It's just a bit disappointed, if sprint nav is included it needs to be more integrated. I should be able to tap an address anywhere in the OS and get directions to it. Hopefully this will be coming.
    Sprint Navigation is pretty up-to-date because Telenav updates quarterly. They also have over 10 million POI. It's still no Google maps but it's better than most standalone GPS in terms of POI. For the record, I've gotten wrong addresses in Google maps several times so I've preferred to look them up on a store's website instead so copy and paste from a web page would essential. One time from Google maps I got a Target more than 10 miles away when there was one 4 blocks from me.
    LG TP 1100 -> Sanyo SCP-5150 -> LG PM-325 -> Nokia 1100 -> Motorola v557 -> Treo 755p -> HTC EVO 4G

Sprint customer since 2001
    that feature would be insanely awesome. universal search, find place in gmaps, click button off I go using sprintnav.

btw: sprintnave looks awesome when compared to the crappy maps and interface on my HTC touch diamond. its got a vga screen, 640x480, yet it used the qvga 320x240, app from older phones. everything is blurry and the buttons are tiny..

I cant wait to get my pre
    Sprint nave is also a pretty good navigator in its own right, I use it all the time and its pretty clear. Also use of sprintnav is included in the everything plan so it comes out a lot less than any other carrier.
    OK, speaking as someone who owns a Garmin GPS and has never seen or used a cell phone's GPS feature, I have some questions.
    1) What happens when you're using it as a GPS and you get a call? Do you stop getting directions, could I miss a turn?
    2) Does it use Sprint's towers or is it an actual GPS, using satellites? I would hate to be in the boonies, lose Sprint's signal and be completely out of luck.
    If I have to leave my SERO 500 for a ED plan, the only thing I gain is GPS and maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'd like to use my phone in the car and continue using my good ol' Garmin.
    Quote Originally Posted by patchs View Post
    OK, speaking as someone who owns a Garmin GPS and has never seen or used a cell phone's GPS feature, I have some questions.
    1) What happens when you're using it as a GPS and you get a call? Do you stop getting directions, could I miss a turn?
    2) Does it use Sprint's towers or is it an actual GPS, using satellites? I would hate to be in the boonies, lose Sprint's signal and be completely out of luck.
    If I have to leave my SERO 500 for a ED plan, the only thing I gain is GPS and maybe I'm old fashioned, but I'd like to use my phone in the car and continue using my good ol' Garmin.
    On my Sprint Touch, when the navi is running and I get a call, the Navi app is minimized because the Phone app just took over, so while it keeps track of where you are, it won't tell you about it because the Phone App is in the way.

No Sprint signal means no Navi. Noticed today that when I was in a bad Sprint area, I only had 1x, and downloading the fastest route took a hell of a lot longer. I actually kept driving until the EV showed up again, then cancelled and told it to look again.
    What I'm really hoping is that Sprint Nav on the Pre will take advantage of the Pre's capabilities, including the notifications bar and smooth multitasking.

Imagine it: you're navigating, and you get a call. You take it. While you're on the call, the next turn is indicated unobtrusively in the notifications bar and updated as you continue on your route. You can either keep an eye on the next turn there, or click on it and bring Nav back to the forefront. When your call is done, you click on the phone icon in the notifications bar to hang up.
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    On my Sprint Touch, when the navi is running and I get a call, the Navi app is minimized because the Phone app just took over, so while it keeps track of where you are, it won't tell you about it because the Phone App is in the way.

No Sprint signal means no Navi. Noticed today that when I was in a bad Sprint area, I only had 1x, and downloading the fastest route took a hell of a lot longer. I actually kept driving until the EV showed up again, then cancelled and told it to look again.
    Thanks for the info, which means if you're in a remote area, you're out of luck.
    I think I'll stick with my Garmin.
    I'll tell ya, since I'm going to double my monthly cost for Sprint, I hope the Pre lives up to the hype.
    I keep seeing people inaccurately imply that when they are using telenav (aka sprint nav) and they are out of area for sprint that the navigation stops working. The navigation program keeps working it has already downloaded the route. What stops working is rerouting, traffic info basically anything that requres a data connection. I used to use it on my nextel blackberry and never had a problem with it. Even when I went out of cell tower range. I got to my destination just fine. If I missed a turn I would simply turn around and get back on route.

Back when I use to use it. I could go online and set up my route from my home computer and when I went to my phone I could retrieve it.

Other things to keep in mind is that the maps are updated quarterly...that means you get newer information sooner than tom tom or garmin.

As far as the OP's question goes, I would say highly likely since the Pre is about synergy. Remember they designed it so all the apps the base apps interact. At least that's what they seem to claim. If you have an appointment coming up it will tell you that you are going to be late giving your current location, the only way for it to be able to do that is to have access to gps and mapping data.
    --Nextel Blackberry 7520 -> Sprint Treo 700p -> Sprint Treo 755p -> Sprint Pre