Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am one of the many who will be cancelling their contract (AT&T) when the Pre comes out.

Now that a new phone has been leaked and reportedly heading to AT&T I was wondering if anyone was considering not cancelling (save some $) and waiting until the fall for the EOS?

Thoughts?
    Have you looked at the supposed specs of the Eos? The Pre is a much better (technically speaking) phone, not to mention being on a much better network.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    While GSM is something that many have been clamoring for, it seems that the new device skimps on the specs of the Pre (for example, 4GB versus 8GB). It will be interesting to see if this changes the dynamics, but for a less powerful WebOS device with likely more expensive plans, could be interesting calculus.
    Though we all knew/know that more WebOS devices were going to be coming and more still are probably in the works in various form-factors. It seems Palm is trying to adopt the Android model of wide distribution, without the significant lag between devices to boost the likelihood of development.
    However you slice it, however you decide to go, things look really promising for Palm.
    does this mean that the iphone phanboys are going to hold off.... that makes more availability for the capped first shipment..... woooo hooooo
    The Centro actually improved upon the Treo. Was speedier, more features, etc. Smaller package.

The Eos? I'm not sure who they're targeting other than ones who just want a webOS device on the GSM side. The Pro users want a card slot and specs. Media users would want the Pre or iphone. The cost of owning one would still require an expensive plan. But i guess a 89 or 99 price would sell em.

A Pre without the slider was what i thought they would do (maybe they will later). Oh well..i'm not palm..

I'm not saying this Eos form factor wouldn't work..of course it would. It just needs to be beefed up and not sold as a gimped specced cheapie phone.
    Last edited by cardfan; 04/30/2009 at 02:00 PM.
    My advice would be dont, this "pixie" seems like a long shot and it will be who knows how long until it happens, and the pre is sure to be superior anyway
    The Pre is still definitely my first choice. I'm not interested in the Pixie, but due to apparent last minute release butting up to WWDC, and Palm's limited supply shenanigans I won't jump immediately on board with Pre/Sprint either - I'll wait and see what Apple is up to.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    The Pre is still definitely my first choice. I'm not interested in the Pixie, but due to apparent last minute release butting up to WWDC, and Palm's limited supply shenanigans I won't jump immediately on board with Pre/Sprint either - I'll wait and see what Apple is up to.
    Did you really think Palm would have smooth sailing meeting demand at first? Apple ran short. RIM ran short on Storms. Tmobile ran short with G1's. But noooo..this is a planned shortage by Palm..lol

June 7th is just a rumor.
    There's a big difference between running short and deliberately holding back. Go back and read the articles, then go laugh at yourself.
    There's a big difference between running short and deliberately holding back. Go back and read the articles, then go laugh at yourself.
    The articles are still rumor and speculation (just like everything else here). We have no clue what is actually going on with supplies.

I think the articles are a load of crap personally. I don't see Palm messing with supplies intentionally, that would be insanely stupid for a company on the brink. Palm doesn't want people unable to buy. If people are unable to get a Pre and then they see a large supply of equivalent goods (G1s, Storms, and iPhone 3.0s) those people may simply go and get one of those instead of waiting for supply. Second, the price is fixed, it is not like smaller supply gets them more money.

They are making calculations on expected demand, can they be wrong? Yes. But the costs of over-estimating demand and having too large of a supply that you can't sell are greater than underestimating and doing a second production run. Ideally, they would like to get their supply estimates right on the money. Though even this doesn't guarantee all places will have sufficient supply or there won't be localized shortages simply due to distribution models, demand isn't the same everywhere. So even if those production numbers are accurate, that could simply be a reflection of what palm thinks the expected initial demand could be rather than actively manipulating the market which would be suicidal.
    Quote Originally Posted by udratherbme View Post
    does this mean that the iphone phanboys are going to hold off.... that makes more availability for the capped first shipment..... woooo hooooo
    and coming from a palm fanboy, you're different how?
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    It's a rumor. There is also a rumor that there is a component shortage, the screens. Believe whichever you want.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Outrigger View Post
    and coming from a palm fanboy, you're different how?
    It means he'll be able to get a Pre if the Apple fanboys don't jump ship.
    I agree - everything we discuss here is a rumor with the exception that the Palm Pre exists.

I posted yesterday that the news Bloomberg reports means one of two things - Palm holding back to increase interest (think Kindle and Wii), or a problem with supply. Given this article FT.com | Tech Blog | Palm Pre “could be DOA” it could be one, the other, or both.

All rumor. But if we didn't enjoy the rumor mill, why are we here discussing any of this?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by udratherbme View Post
    It amazes me the obsession people on this board have with Apple/iPhone. Undoubtedly every thread evolves into something to do with the iPhone or Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Have you looked at the supposed specs of the Eos? The Pre is a much better (technically speaking) phone, not to mention being on a much better network.
    Thank you for a productive response. I hadn't realized that the specs were much better, aside for the memory. I will use the pre for a lot of stuff so it's probably better to get the better phone!
    Can we please hold back on the histrionics and personal attacks and all the other nonsense. Everything is rumor, nothing is certain. Can rumors be true? Yes. Are all of them? Clearly not (see also release dates).

I understand it is silly season and everyone is feeling punchy about the lack of information, but let us please keep in mind very little information we have is set in stone. We need to seriously evaluate the rumors on the merits, rather than the sources. As I have now said in more threads than I wish to count. Hope for the best, expect the worst, express your concern about rumored bad news, and hopefully we will all be pleasantly surprised with an amazing final device soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Thank you for a productive response. I hadn't realized that the specs were much better, aside for the memory. I will use the pre for a lot of stuff so it's probably better to get the better phone!
    More memory, larger/higher resolution screen, WiFi, better camera, release timeframe...
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Update: Oh boy -- looks like we just got the full spec list. And yes, it's definitely coming to AT&T (if it's really coming).

4GB storage
    Price: $349 (pre-rebate)
    Camera: 2 megapixel fixed focus digital camera and flash / video capture
    Connectivity: Bluetooth 2.1 w/ A2DP and EDR, USB 2.0 via micro USB
    Removable 1150 mAh battery (4 hours 3G talk time)
    Messaging: SMS, MMS (picture and video only), integrated IM client
    Contact sync with AT&T Address Book
    MediaNet
    Cellular Video
    Email: POP3, IMAP4, and EAS support
    A-GPS
    Audio: WAV, MP3, AAC, AAC+ ringtones
    Video Playback: MPEG4, H.264, H.263
    Palm Eos: super-thin, 3G, and headed to AT&T?
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    Now that a new phone has been leaked and reportedly heading to AT&T I was wondering if anyone was considering not cancelling (save some $) and waiting until the fall for the EOS?

Thoughts?
    I was going to jump all over the Pre as soon as it came out (sooner, if I could figure out a way), but now I'm reconsidering...

I've gotten so used to the bellyaching about "when's it going to be released?" and "why are they holding back", I'm now presented with another opportunity to extend the complaining by another 4-6 months!

Plus, it would have the added advantage of causing me to switch to a carrier that had even worse service (CS and infrastructure) than Sprint, so I'd be able to complain about that.

Finally, I can almost assure you they (AT&T) do not have a SERO plan.

With all of this great stuff to complain about, why jump right into a phone that I could actually put my hands on and use?
    I'm still trying to figure out how someone puts the words "stay on at&t" and "save money" in the same sentence.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast