1.    #1  
    I haven't seen video recording confirmed on the pre yet, but here's a widget on Welcome to the Now Network. that I haven't seen before.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I think they said there was NOT going to be video recording on the initial Pre...possibly down the road though.
    That said 'videos uploaded'. There has been talk of the possibility of an app to enable video recording, though as I recall it won't be enabled at release.
    Eventually, just not right away. I would say shortly after release there will be ability for recording video and maybe even direct youtube uploading which might be the reason the are holding back.

/end speculation.
    It has the hardware to record video. I imagine Palm just has other things on their plate right now and doesnt want to 'waste' time optimizing it for good video capture. It will get done sooner or later.
    Much like the whole issue with "lack of alarm" I'm sure this issue will be resolved by 3rd party apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnoid View Post
    Much like the whole issue with "lack of alarm" I'm sure this issue will be resolved by 3rd party apps.
    Unfortunately, video recording is a lot harder to do with the SDK being HTML/Javascript and may not actually be possible unless Palm does it or unless someone figures out a way to install Linux applications onto it.

The only other possibility without deeper access would probably be to force it to take pictures one after the other and string them together into video, but we don't know how fast it can do that so it'd probably be jumpy.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Unfortunately, video recording is a lot harder to do with the SDK being HTML/Javascript and may not actually be possible unless Palm does it or unless someone figures out a way to install Linux applications onto it.

The only other possibility without deeper access would probably be to force it to take pictures one after the other and string them together into video, but we don't know how fast it can do that so it'd probably be jumpy.
    Well, it also seems that palm is willing to offer access to the hardware to some select developers. There's no way the classic emulator is running in html/javascript. So I'd imagine if a big name, trusted developer wanted to make a video app, palm would let them.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    I wouldn't be suprised if Palm is working on developing this themselves. They probably just weren't able to get it efficient enough to have it available at launch. You could hear in the videos, when asked the demo guys would pause when and just say 'Not at this time.'
    that is a good question especially since in the first commercial there was a mention of people uploading videos to youtube via their cell phones... then they show the Pre throughout the commercia;l
    Discussed a little in another thread, but I'm speculating that this is going to be one of the "add ons" Palm is doing on the initial release.