Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Does anyone know when or if you can type things on the touchscreen versus when you have to use the slider keyboard?

1) For example, to type the phone number do I have to use the slider?
    2) Can I choose not to use the slider at all for typing emails, etc. and just use the touchscreen when I feel like it?
    3) To type in a web address do I have to always use the slider?
    There is no on-screen keyboard, so no to #2 & #3. As for #1, I'm pretty sure the numberpad shown on screen is touchable.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    If you look at the pictures of the keypad, there is a red numpad, so I'd assume you can use that to dial numbers. There has not been any on screen keyboard announced or any rumors of such so I doubt there will be one on launch.

However, WebOS isn't just for the pre, it will be running on other devices in the future, possibly an all touch device, so I don't think an update for an on screen keyboard somewhere down the road is impossible.

Edit, misunderstood the first question, I'm fairly sure you can dial using the buttons or the screen.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Thanks. I really would, though, like the option to type on screen when wanted. I can see its gonna be a pain to open up the slider everytime I want to type anything. Maybe I am wrong, but that's what I fear. Obviously I'm an iPhone user and am used now to the touchscreen, but could see the real benefit sometime (like in long emails) of the slider.
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    Thanks. I really would, though, like the option to type on screen when wanted. I can see its gonna be a pain to open up the slider everytime I want to type anything. Maybe I am wrong, but that's what I fear. Obviously I'm an iPhone user and am used now to the touchscreen, but could see the real benefit sometime (like in long emails) of the slider.
    I don't think it's really going to be a pain - I seem to recall a video where a Palm demo-er slid open the Pre one-handed quite easily; squeezing the base with his fingers and pushing up with his thumb. In fact, I saw a classmate do that just the other day with her slider phone, I hope and expect the Pre will be just as easy to open.
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    I have a dual-slide phone now, and its a piece of cake to open. The design characteristics of the pre appear to have focused very heavily on ergonomics, I can't imagine this would be a problem.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    I don't think it's really going to be a pain - I seem to recall a video where a Palm demo-er slid open the Pre one-handed quite easily; squeezing the base with his fingers and pushing up with his thumb. In fact, I saw a classmate do that just the other day with her slider phone, I hope and expect the Pre will be just as easy to open.
    Thanks. I hope you and the others are right. I am getting bored with the iPhone and am ready for something new. I've been using iPhone 3.0 and its really minor in what it adds.
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hbg View Post
    You'll eventually recover... It's been diagnosed as "Applemania". Symptoms include:
    1. Believing that a keyboard that has tactile buttons someone makes a device less usable.
    2. Feeling joy while using a "phone" that can't really make calls. You may not even realize it is a phone.
    3. Believing that a lack of capabilities is a good thing. "If I needed cut & paste, Apple would have give it to me in the first place."

Symptoms may vary, but once the patient realizes he or she needs help and seek treatment from a local Technologist (similar to a proctologist, but they help you pull your head out of Steve Job's rear-end), recover can take only a few months.

Medication and therapy are recommended. Start with this simple mantra... "I will not pay more for less..."
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    If the Pre-mini is true then it is likely to not have a physical keyboard. If they develop a soft keyboard for the Pre-mini, I would see no reason the Pre could not have it.
    Would it have killed them to make an option to use a on screen keyboard? Maybe in 1.5 or 2.0... POS had it...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I really hate on screen keyboards myself. I prefer a real keyboard like the Pre has. If the Pre doesn't have an on screen keyboard option, I am sure somebody will make one soon after the release.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    If the Pre-mini is true then it is likely to not have a physical keyboard. If they develop a soft keyboard for the Pre-mini, I would see no reason the Pre could not have it.
    If there's demand, I'm sure there will be a soft keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Would it have killed them to make an option to use a on screen keyboard? Maybe in 1.5 or 2.0... POS had it...
    You're right, it doesn't seem like it would have been a big deal. All I can figure is that Palm wants to use the keyboard as a key differentiator from other touch screen phones, and figured adding a soft keyboard would dilute the message.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    You'll eventually recover... It's been diagnosed as "Applemania". Symptoms include:
    1. Believing that a keyboard that has tactile buttons someone makes a device less usable.
    2. Feeling joy while using a "phone" that can't really make calls. You may not even realize it is a phone.
    3. Believing that a lack of capabilities is a good thing. "If I needed cut & paste, Apple would have give it to me in the first place."

Symptoms may vary, but once the patient realizes he or she needs help and seek treatment from a local Technologist (similar to a proctologist, but they help you pull your head out of Steve Job's rear-end), recover can take only a few months.

Medication and therapy are recommended. Start with this simple mantra... "I will not pay more for less..."

ROFLOL!! Thank you for that.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave View Post
    There is no on-screen keyboard, so no to #2 & #3.
    It's only a matter of time before somebody gets around to making an on-screen keypad for the Pre.

I suppose one could always make the physical keyboard touch-sensitive as well. i.e., make two models of the phone one with a mechanical keypad and one with touch-sensitive one. Then, iPoo lovers would need to find something else to complain about.

And while they are at it, they could make the whole phone surface touch-sensitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    It's only a matter of time before somebody gets around to making an on-screen keypad for the Pre.
    Well, I think that someone would either have to be Palm, or a special developer that plam lets make more than the standard html/javascript app. While the pre can multitask, I believe each app is locked in, so to speak, inside it's own cards. I don't think there's a way (without hacking) to have an app that overlays inside another app to provide something like a keyboard.