1.    #1  
    I had finally given in to the ease of having everything work well with Windows Mobile as far as Outlook, Word and Excel Mobile. Without Windows OS, will you still be able to look at Word docs or excel spreadsheets without conversion issues.

Like preliminary appearance of pre and features but don't want to give up basic utility of my 800.
    Last edited by treolawyer; 04/29/2009 at 11:16 AM. Reason: typo in title
    Hopefully. DataViz (the makers of the excellent Documents to Go suite) was listed as a software partner with the Pre back at CES in January, but we haven't heard a peep from them since.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Still a lot we haven't heard to be honest.
    It's a Linux operating system, so some form of OpenOffice.org should be able to run on the device. OpenOffice does everything Microsoft Office does.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    It's a Linux operating system, so some form of OpenOffice.org should be able to run on the device. OpenOffice does everything Microsoft Office does.
    I fully expect a mobile office app, but I'd personally be surprised to see OpenOffice in WebOS....at least anytime soon.
    Bok

Well according to this picture from the webOS simulator there will be some sort of document viewer at launch. No idea if this includes editing of any kind, and if this will also work for excel sheets.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Just because webOS has Linux running underneath the hood doesn't mean that you can run any program for Linux on it. WebOS uses Linux, but it is NOT Linux. Linux is more like the interface between WebOS and the hardware.

Additionally, OpenOffice is not designed for mobile devices.

Finally, OpenOffice does most of what MS Office does, but not everything. It's quite compatible for Office 2003 documents, but not so much for Office 2007 documents.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Just because webOS has Linux running underneath the hood doesn't mean that you can run any program for Linux on it. WebOS uses Linux, but it is NOT Linux. Linux is more like the interface between WebOS and the hardware.

Additionally, OpenOffice is not designed for mobile devices.

Finally, OpenOffice does most of what MS Office does, but not everything. It's quite compatible for Office 2003 documents, but not so much for Office 2007 documents.
    I never looked to see if there was a mobile version of OpenOffice. I just that of some form of it. It was just the first thing that popped into my head when thinking of WebOS. I've been playing around with a couple of the Linux distributions on my backup computer.

I had trouble with a new Excel extension from Windows 2007, but I got the latest spreadsheet updates for OpenOffice, and they work fine now.
    Last edited by palandri; 04/29/2009 at 02:52 PM.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's