Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Let's try this AGAIN.

There are iPhone leaks(maybe I should say "speculation") everywhere. The iPhone gets mentioned everywhere. The Pre on the other hand is NOT known very well to the general public. If Palm and Sprint don't start making the Pre a household name SOON, by the time they start trying to, the iPhone will steal the spotlight as usual. But if they get the word out NOW to the general public, they have a chance to steal the spotlight themselves.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/29/2009 at 05:07 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  2.    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Seems like a mighty specific group of people.
    Yeah, we're called consumers. If any new iPhone announcement is made that includes HD video, physical keyboard, multitasking (all those features and more that the Pre now beats iPhone with, and Apple has had 6 months to plan for), what do you think smart consumers will do?
    So, there's a large subsection of Sprint customers who passed up the first two iterations of the iPhone, but are now waiting with baited breath to see what Apple does next, but would buy the Pre in the second as an impulse if it were available now, but not if they somehow get exposed to publicity for the next iPhone?

Seems like a mighty specific group of people.
    To be honest, they aren't targeting existing Sprint customers. They want NEW customers - existing customers doesn't help Sprint that much. So yes, people who want the Pre and are on other networks WILL wait on the iPhone announcement if it's the next day. What's 1 day?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Let's try this AGAIN.

There are iPhone leaks(maybe I should say "speculation") everywhere. The iPhone gets mentioned everywhere. The Pre on the other hand is NOT known very well to the general public. If Palm and Sprint don't start making the Pre a household name SOON, by the time they start trying to, the iPhone will steal the spotlight as usual. But if they get the word out NOW to the general public, they have a chance to steal the spotlight themselves.
    You don't think Palm and Sprint have every intention of doing this, regardless of when the iPhone launches?

The iPhone launching or any opportunity for "spotlight" is tertiary to 1) The Pre being relatively bug-free 2)There being sufficient third-party apps at launch and 3) There being sufficient inventory.

Palm and Sprint can control THOSE things, and that's what they must focus on. When they have 'em licked, THEN they can start thinking about future iPhones and their phantom capabilities.

You know, things they CANNOT control.
    No matter what Apple announces, there are several things about the iPhone that I and anyone who's watched Apple closely for a while, know will not change. There will not be a physical keyboard, Steve hates buttons, plain and simple. There will not be multitasking, Apple said as much very clearly in their last keynote. Apple knows what's best for you and they decided your battery life is more important that multitasking. Thirdly, the iPhone will always require iTunes which means you must be running Windows or OSX.

The third reason is the primary reason that I and several of my friends have skipped the iPhone, the other two are very important to other customers. Any customers who were put off by those issues will not be swayed by the new iPhone, no matter what it offers.

Granted, this may not include everyone who has rejected the last two iPhones, but I think it should hopefully be enough to make sure the pre gets some attention on launch regardless of when that is.
    i think Apple got the "fat middle" already.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    Yeah, we're called consumers. If any new iPhone announcement is made that includes HD video, physical keyboard, multitasking (all those features and more that the Pre now beats iPhone with, and Apple has had 6 months to plan for), what do you think smart consumers will do?
    HD video isn't a point of comparison, Apple has already shot down multitasking in the 3.0 keynote, and if the G1, Touch Pro, and Bold didn't make Apple do a 180 to physical keyboards, why would they start now?
    You don't think Palm and Sprint have every intention of doing this, regardless of when the iPhone launches?

The iPhone launching or any opportunity for "spotlight" is tertiary to 1) The Pre being relatively bug-free 2)There being sufficient third-party apps at launch and 3) There being sufficient inventory.

Palm and Sprint can control THOSE things, and that's what they must focus on. When they have 'em licked, THEN they can start thinking about future iPhones and their phantom capabilities.

You know, things they CANNOT control.
    I'm wondering if they have an intention of EVER doing this in a timely manner. So far I've seen ads hinting at the Pre but no name in flashing lights(or big letters) so people notice and know what this phone is. By May, will they start MENTIONING the Pre by name? I'm hoping so because too much longer and it may be a bit too late.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    HD video isn't a point of comparison, Apple has already shot down multitasking in the 3.0 keynote, and if the G1, Touch Pro, and Bold didn't make Apple do a 180 to physical keyboards, why would they start now?
    I have to say that if that HD rumor pans out, that's big for a multi-media device. And Apple can then sell it's HD video in greater numbers. When they can make money off something, they will do it. We've seen this before from them.

I think they claimed they may not make money from the App Store, who really believed that's not what they were hoping for all along?

I'm wondering if they have an intention of EVER doing this in a timely manner. So far I've seen ads hinting at the Pre but no name in flashing lights(or big letters) so people notice and know what this phone is. By May, will they start MENTIONING the Pre by name? I'm hoping so because too much longer and it may be a bit too late.
    I've said it before, and I will say it again:

I agree with this 900 percent! If I could put it in flashing light text, I would.

Enough about the Now network. It's been branded already.
    I have to say that if that HD rumor pans out, that's big for a multi-media device. And Apple can then sell it's HD video in greater numbers. When they can make money off something, they will do it. We've seen this before from them.

I think they claimed they may not make money from the App Store, who really believed that's not what they were hoping for all along?
    I personally don't think HD resolution on a 3.5-inch screen is that meaningful, but I'm sure it is for a good number of people. In any case, Palm's screen resolution is locked at HVGA, and will be for a good little while.
    I personally don't think HD resolution on a 3.5-inch screen is that meaningful, but I'm sure it is for a good number of people. In any case, Palm's screen resolution is locked at HVGA, and will be for a good little while.
    HD resolution on a screen that small would look AMAZING. But it would also be amazingly expensive.

Not to mention screwing with the current fixed resolution life of those 1 billion downloaded apps.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Well it's still a rumor and maybe just wishful thinking.

I think the best clues for what the new iPhone will have may indeed be by searching the betas. People claim they found evidence of video recording and voice feature like what's on the Shuffle, so those 2 could be likely. But those 2 aren't enough to get anyone excited except fanpeople.

P.S. I just took a look around on the rumor sites, indeed the betas seem to show small techie type changes that aren't glitzy, except for maybe the voice, but a talking phone is a bit gimmicky IMO.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/29/2009 at 06:33 PM.

it's reverse psychology! Colligan is BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scarcity close
    n. A sales ploy in which a product or service is made to appear scarce in order to increase its apparent value.
  15.    #75  
    Because of the Pre, and rumors of better processor to enable multitasking (without jailbreaking), and rumors of a physical keyboard. HD wasn't a point of comparison, it was another feature that would 1UP the Pre, and stay in line with Nokia n97.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcunwired View Post
    Because of the Pre, and rumors of better processor to enable multitasking (without jailbreaking), and rumors of a physical keyboard. HD wasn't a point of comparison, it was another feature that would 1UP the Pre, and stay in line with Nokia n97.
    Well, iPhone rumors mean less than nothing to me. If this board has taught me anything, it's to treat rumors with a healthy dose of skepticism.

But again, they explicitly said no to multitasking with the 3.0 update (which isn't even in gold status yet), and so there will be no multitasking anytime soon. Same goes for a physical keyboard.

HD Video is for such a small market segment...Palm shouldn't be the least bit concerned.
  17.    #77  
    4G, not 3G. Its pretty well known at this point what 3.0 software release includes, I'm speaking specifically of what may be coming up with next hardware version. Since its all rumor, then you have no idea whether there will be multitasking or physical keyboard, so keep that healthy dose of skepticism up

HD video and market segment is your opinion, though I agree its nothing for Palm to be concerned about now - its just a tad late for that.
    May, May, May. Bloomberg has no more idea than you or I how many units Sprint will have available day 1. The 375,000 figure is an average of speculation by a bunch of other analysts, who also don't know anything.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  19.    #79  
    Hi Bob, I'm in Charlottesville.

Analysts analyze, they don't speculate
    HD Video is for such a small market segment...Palm shouldn't be the least bit concerned.
    That's not exactly true. People are moving toward HD video viewing more and more. It would be a good step to see devices capable of this. One problem though is all the DRM attached to it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast