Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    They do have control of the SDK though. That should have been made widely available BEFORE the actual release of the Pre.
    Pre hasn't been released yet. There is some time there.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Most people here don't seem to realize that the Pre does not have the kind of customer awareness that the iPhone had when it came out.

Us nerds have been waiting for up to 2 years. The average phone consumer has never heard of the Pre.

In fact we regularly get new people here who say "I thought Palm was dead".

If there are angry mobs attacking local Sprint stores, it will make the national news - the best free marketing buzz you can get.
    The blackberry storm only shipped about 400k units... most/all sold out in first day.. and 15 day wait if you ordered it on the 2nd day... A TON of web orders.

I was one of the idiots that waited in line... then when i was getting close to the front, for a web order that would be received next day... BOOM Verizon NorthEast systems went down... thats right.. all systems down...overloaded system... due to no phones i waited about 3 weeks..

So if Verizon Ran out of phones... and Apple ran out of Phones... GUESS WHAT!! if your not first in line they are going to run out... Maybee 10-20 phones per store... if there are much less stores then verizon... i'd say 40-50 phones per store.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    The blackberry storm only shipped about 400k units... most/all sold out in first day.. and 15 day wait if you ordered it on the 2nd day... A TON of web orders.
    Any idea how the online stock was? Did it backorder quickly? I'm most likely going to order my Pre online as soon as its available, but don't want to if it means delivery is likely to be delayed.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post

I was one of the idiots that waited in line... then when i was getting close to the front, for a web order that would be received next day... BOOM Verizon NorthEast systems went down... thats right.. all systems down...overloaded system... due to no phones i waited about 3 weeks..

So if Verizon Ran out of phones... and Apple ran out of Phones... GUESS WHAT!! if your not first in line they are going to run out... Maybee 10-20 phones per store... if there are much less stores then verizon... i'd say 40-50 phones per store.
    I got a Storm on day 1. Returned it on day 2.

Apple sold over 1 million iphone 3Gs the first weekend. The store near my house sold over a thousand the first 2 days without selling out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    Any idea how the online stock was? Did it backorder quickly? I'm most likely going to order my Pre online as soon as its available, but don't want to if it means delivery is likely to be delayed.

If you odered over the phone BEFORE 1pm EST time you got the phone next day/2nd day in mail.. If not.. 15-20day wait.

Again this was with Verizons Launch of the Storm. And what i can remember from it. And all systems went down about 1pm ish.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    didn't say they weren't happy. But Apple will need a compelling reason to upgrade unless you're an original iphone owner. I doubt this next iphone can offer that compelling reason.

Not to mention the media will be in a frenzy with the Pre at that time. Apple better have more than storage and a lame video recorder up their sleeve.
    If the pre is released around the same time the new iPhone is released it can kiss media coverage goodbye.

A frenzy? The pre can not compete with apple in terms of media coverage. This phone needs to be released, reviewed and analyzed before the iPhone is announced.

Pre is better (IMHO) but ape media coverage is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Actually, from a marketing standpoint, it's not a bad idea. Nintendo did the same thing with the Wii for two holiday seasons in a row - it worked out well for them.

The thing is, the evening news isn't going to concentrate on Palm's limiting of supply - they can't confirm that Palm is doing so. What they will report on, however, is that Palm managed to sell completely out of its Pre stockpile in two or three days. They are increasing demand by decreasing supply.
    Yes, but Nintendo is not (and was not) a bleating wildebeest in the last throes of its corporate life. If Palm does this (if it is to be believed), then it's a wrap. All it takes is some new iPhone blingy thingy model to occupy the folks who had a mild passing fancy for the Pre but can't find it anywhere to buy.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Yes, you should wait to see what the new iPhone is before criticizing, but you should NOT wait to see if Palm rumors have any basis in reality whatsoever before criticizing.

That seems fair.
    An interesting conundrum. +1
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
    I can't call anything a mistake until I see the final result. I don't know Palm's thought process, I don't know what they're supply chain looks like, I don't know how their approval process is going with Sprint. All I do know is that you're jumping to conclusions without any supporting facts. Anybody who is considering the Pre isn't going to be the type to just say "Ah, f--- it, I'm going to get an iPhone."
    +1
    justjill3

Palm Pre!!!,Treo 755p, Treo 650, more Palm devices in the past, ect., ect., etc.
    Running Datebk6, Takephone, Butler, Technician, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Cleanup, Uninstall, Splash Suite, Zlauncher, Reset Doctor, SafeGuard, Power Hero, Audible, Audio Gateway...
    Global Posts
    198 Global Posts
    No matter when the Pre or iPhone is released, and no matter how long you have to wait for your Pre...you are still going to be saving $360/year by using Sprint's plans.

That is the number 1 iPhone complaint...AT&T's ridiculous rates. The new iPhone isn't going to cure that. Pre/Sprint has a huge advantage...and people are looking for anyway to save money.

Personally I like the shortage, its media exposure and when people see the people that do have a Pre they are going to ask questions about it. Take a sick day and stand in line.
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    Yeah but as has been said many times before, the media can get it wrong too. And the estimates of unnamed analysts always makes me wonder about the validity. Is it just another media story? Yes. Can it be true? Yes.

People here really need to relax and reserve judgment. Whenever a new negative rumor shows up it is blame Palm or blame Sprint for being stupid. Meanwhile we have no clue what is what; the signal to noise ratio is incredibly high. Expect the worst, hope for the best and take the rumors with a grain of salt. We will all know for sure within the next 2 months.
    Several truths here and some good recommendations.
    Do I hear someone saying, "Step back."?
    justjill3

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Good thing we know for a fact that this actually is Palm's strategy, eh?
    Good point....and it is also worth stating that Bloomberg isn't saying that these analysts heard it from Palm/Sprint, but it seems rather that the analysts thought themselves that it might be a good marketing strategy. I'm no marketing strategist, but I know enough never to underestimate the intelligence of the mass buying public.

Maybe from our point of view it seems stupid, but as others have said...it might result in selling more phones
    Quote Originally Posted by sub150 View Post
    Personally I like the shortage, its media exposure and when people see the people that do have a Pre they are going to ask questions about it. Take a sick day and stand in line.
    I just dont understand this reasoning. But, to each their own.
    But you liked it when Apple sold out each day? Don't you remember them saying check their website to see if your Apple store would have any stock the next day?
  16.    #56  
    Anybody who is considering the Pre isn't going to be the type to just say "Ah, f--- it, I'm going to get an iPhone."
    I wanted the Pre more so than any device I've seen for a very long time. While the delay doesn't automatically mean I will be getting an iPhone, you can bet the farm that I will be waiting to see what Apple will announce in WWDC before my purchase. Anybody in the market for a smartphone would be intelligent to do so at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    I don't think they need to start the Ad blitz just yet for the Pre. June 7th is still pretty far away. It's coming..just isn't time yet.
    IMO they need to start it ASAP. You think there won't be more "leaks" from the iPhone camp? May 7th isn't too far away and that gives one month for the iPhone leaks to pile up. If there's not enough from the Palm/Sprint camp to keep people interested in the Pre, people will just wait for the iPhone announcement, even if just to see if the leaks are true. And if they are, then that's another problem discussed in other threads.

Out of sight, out of mind in the general public. If you keep mentioning and showing something, it sticks.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  18.    #58  
    "Unnamed analysts". Apparently you folks aren't investors - you don't get the names of analysts often, just their reports and employers. If it interests you that much, ask Bloomberg. Since I am an investor, I pay attention to what they say, unnamed or not.

All we have now is time - we'll see what happens upon release.
    I'm thinking it'll start when the release date and price is announced. Dumb to do it before then.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    IMO they need to start it ASAP. You think there won't be more "leaks" from the iPhone camp? May 7th isn't too far away and that gives one month for the iPhone leaks to pile up. If there's not enough from the Palm/Sprint camp to keep people interested in the Pre, people will just wait for the iPhone announcement, even if just to see if the leaks are true. And if they are, then that's another problem discussed in other threads.

Out of sight, out of mind in the general public. If you keep mentioning and showing something, it sticks.
    So, there's a large subsection of Sprint customers who passed up the first two iterations of the iPhone, but are now waiting with baited breath to see what Apple does next, but would buy the Pre in the second as an impulse if it were available now, but not if they somehow get exposed to publicity for the next iPhone?

Seems like a mighty specific group of people.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast