Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Okay, so, Apple's WWDC is sold out for only the second time. Of course, that's where the next iPhone is going to (probably) be announced. June 8-12.

I second my earlier thread that the Pre's going to suffer if it hasn't had some breathing room. June 7 is not a good date to release (the same goes, of course, for anything later than that). Give it a few weeks for some (hopefully) stellar reviews, however, and some momentum, and that's a different ballgame.
    Well now that I think about it, June 7th is the night before...it would make sense from a marketing standpoint but I want it now dammit!!!

"I want it all...and I want it now"
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I kinda feel bad for Palm. Releasing on the heels of this event could prove devastating for the Pre. Because this doesn't give people enough time to fall in love with the Pre You're going to have a lot of people just go for the new iPhone because they're more comfortable/familiar with it and the extensive third-party support.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    I kinda feel bad for Palm. Releasing on the heels of this event could prove devastating for the Pre. Because this doesn't give people enough time to fall in love with the Pre You're going to have a lot of people just go for the new iPhone because they're more comfortable/familiar with it and the extensive third-party support.
    On the flip side.....currently the Pre is being hailed as the first true iPhone killer, you see the two mentioned together just about everywhere. So once the new iPhone is announced, the Tech Press will right away want to compare it to the Pre, which means, more press for the Pre.

You can look at it both ways, only time will tell how it pans out.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    I'm sure if Palm/Sprint could release it any earlier they would, but neither can afford to rush it out
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    On the flip side.....currently the Pre is being hailed as the first true iPhone killer, you see the two mentioned together just about everywhere. So once the new iPhone is announced, the Tech Press will right away want to compare it to the Pre, which means, more press for the Pre.

You can look at it both ways, only time will tell how it pans out.
    Exactly. Palm can't fight the inevitable comparisons so it may as well join the party and ride the wave. I've been saying this all along.

I think people need some perspective. Palm was dead. To even be mentioned in the same breath as Apple or even as the other guy is a huge step for them. The Pre will get plugged a lot in comparisons. And again, they're not looking to outsell or outdo the iphone. The Pre is basically unknown but about to get known.

And finally each are on different carriers. If things were equal, then this might not work. If the Pre was another "me too" product, it wouldn't work. It's not a feature phone (instinct), its not a half baked phone with an OS clearly not designed for touch (Storm), and its not phone that is **** ugly starting out on a network with little 3G (G1).

I don't really think of it as a palm vs apple thing but more of a palm/apple vs the rest kind of thing.
    For a poker analogy, Palm is all in with pocket kings and Apple has paired his ace on turn, Palm is hoping for a king on the river to take the pot.

I think Palm may welcome some of these inevitable comparisons with the iPhone. The iPhone will now be 3rd generation hardware. Unless there is some compelling new feature that everyone has to have that compels people to switch or re-up I don't see all but the most fervent people doing so. Second, many people in the market who might be interested in an iPhone but who haven't gone that route definitely have reasons for not doing so and likely won't be swayed (e.g., many people simply must have a physical keyboard). Third, a lot of those customers who bought the original iPhones are now approaching the end of their contracts, any of them who haven't re-upped for 3G or who had a less than pleasant experience with either the device or AT&T may have simply been biding their time for their contract to expire without penalty.

Finally, there may still be some tricks up Palm's sleeve that they have been hiding (the same being true of Apple). But if Palm can drop a late bomb, Apple wouldn't have time to catch up. This is what makes launching so close to iPhone both risky and potentially very rewarding. It invites inevitable comparisons as well, and favorable results in those comparisons definitely help marketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    Exactly. Palm can't fight the inevitable comparisons so it may as well join the party and ride the wave. I've been saying this all along.

I think people need some perspective. Palm was dead. To even be mentioned in the same breath as Apple or even as the other guy is a huge step for them. The Pre will get plugged a lot in comparisons. And again, they're not looking to outsell or outdo the iphone. The Pre is basically unknown but about to get known.

And finally each are on different carriers. If things were equal, then this might not work. If the Pre was another "me too" product, it wouldn't work. It's not a feature phone (instinct), its not a half baked phone with an OS clearly not designed for touch (Storm), and its not phone that is **** ugly starting out on a network with little 3G (G1).

I don't really think of it as a palm vs apple thing but more of a palm/apple vs the rest kind of thing.
    Not sure I really agree. I think you may some see comparisons on the internet, but my bet is the main media will completely ignore the Pre and focus on the long lines at the Apple Stores.

I hope Palm is not relying on piggybacking on the iPhone attention.
    Gosh, if only Palm and Sprint had launched this 2-3 months ago, everything would be different.

Wait...actually nothing would be different. The attention at WWDC would be the same. The next iPhone would sell exactly the same. Palm and Sprint would have exactly the same chances to survive and thrive in this market.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Gosh, if only Palm and Sprint had launched this 2-3 months ago, everything would be different.

Wait...actually nothing would be different. The attention at WWDC would be the same. The next iPhone would sell exactly the same. Palm and Sprint would have exactly the same chances to survive and thrive in this market.
    Or, Palm could have had months of sales to people who might now purchase the newest iPhone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Or, Palm could have had months of sales to people who might now purchase the newest iPhone.
    If people wanted the newest iPhone, they would buy it whenever it came out. Palm Pre sales would dwindle. They'd die anyway. Apple would succeed anyway. Nothing would change, except people moaning about why Palm didn't wait to fix bugs and get more apps available.
    Only die hard fanpeople will stick by the iPhone no matter what. Everyone else could be so wowed by the Pre that they wouldn't consider anything else.

I agree with Mobileman. Get it out before the major iPhone hype starts again.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    But that's just it...what iPhone hype? About what, exactly?

It's a known quantity. Adding a higher resolution screen or video recording or whatever isn't going to set the world afire anymore than the announcement of universal search or cut and paste. These are mild usability enhancements. They don't redefine the experience of owning an iPhone like an app store does.

As such, the iPhone will sell quite well, and always does. But that has jack to do with the Pre and its launch on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    But that's just it...what iPhone hype? About what, exactly?

It's a known quantity. Adding a higher resolution screen or video recording or whatever isn't going to set the world afire anymore than the announcement of universal search or cut and paste. These are mild usability enhancements. They don't redefine the experience of owning an iPhone like an app store does.

As such, the iPhone will sell quite well, and always does. But that has jack to do with the Pre and its launch on Sprint.

You have no idea what Apple will add to the next iPhone. It might be more than a higher resolution screen.
    You have no idea what Apple will add to the next iPhone. It might be more than a higher resolution screen.
    Question is though.... since all versions of the iPhone will run 3.0, will the backwards compatibilty keep them from adding more advanced features and more importantly, faster and much newer hardware?
    Hence the reason not to worry about it. Apple could add a free shark with a laser beam generator attached and $500 cash to each new iPhone sold. So what? The only way the Palm Pre will compete against ANY iPhone - new, 3G, or even the original - is to launch as bug-free as possible, with as many apps as possible, and with as much inventory as possible available.

Once those criteria are met, Palm and Sprint have every fiscal incentive imaginable to launch immediately afterward.
    Huh, "what iPhone hype?"??? You must not read mainstream online news. iPhone news everywhere, every time even a hint comes out. Apple sneezes in the direction of Verizon and it makes front page(online) news. The only thing they don't seem to report is the 3.0 betas, only the tech sites do. And even then you have techies hanging all over those posts drooling. How can anyone not see what will happen in June when the new one gets announced? iPhone is apparently still the "it" phone for now.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Question is though.... since all versions of the iPhone will run 3.0, will the backwards compatibilty keep them from adding more advanced features and more importantly, faster and much newer hardware?
    If they release stale hardware, even with all the fanpeople who make excuses for them, the well will run dry. If that rumor about OLED and HD screens is correct, they better not cripple the hardware!! You know people will be using that for video and if it's choppy, slow start-up, etc., they'll get called out.

Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Apple stack size = 112.17B
    Palm stack size = 1.40B
    Yeah, but difference is I am talking solely phone market not total market. Doubling-up is still good.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Huh, "what iPhone hype?"??? You must not read mainstream online news. iPhone news everywhere, every time even a hint comes out. Apple sneezes in the direction of Verizon and it makes front page(online) news. The only thing they don't seem to report is the 3.0 betas, only the tech sites do. And even then you have techies hanging all over those posts drooling. How can anyone not see what will happen in June when the new one gets announced? iPhone is apparently still the "it" phone for now.
    What I meant was that there's no hype specifically for this future iPhone beyond the 3.0 software yet. Aside from it having more memory (which was given that everybody knew last year), nobody knows what new features it will have.

What I do know is that there is no hardware feature they can add that will change the game like the app store or 3G.

I also know that the same buzz is being bandied about Pre sightings and Pre news, and that says something. Palm and Sprint need to release a device that is worth that. It's not there yet. The second it is, neither company will want to wait given how badly they need money and good publicity (Sprint's Q1 numbers are coming out at the beginning of next week. I'm thinking they won't be great).
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast