Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 49
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    What I do know is that there is no hardware feature they can add that will change the game like the app store or 3G.
    You keep saying this, but you do know the app store works fine on the iPhone 1.0. So using your logic the only difference between the first and second iPhone was 3G.
  2. #22  
    I also think it is important to note that Apple has been stumbling through this year with less than stellar product launches, especially products that underwhelm expectations. And the lack of the showmanship of Steve Jobs has undeniably hurt them. If the new iPhone is seen as only a marginal improvement, that opens the door for Palm. As I said before, Apple needs to work hard to convince the unconvinced and those who have avoided an iPhone so far will want something game-changing and I think they will have a hard time doing that. If the Pre seems new and fresh and the iPhone feels like more of the same, that could sway things.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by prereferee View Post
    I also think it is important to note that Apple has been stumbling through this year with less than stellar product launches, especially products that underwhelm expectations. And the lack of the showmanship of Steve Jobs has undeniably hurt them. If the new iPhone is seen as only a marginal improvement, that opens the door for Palm. As I said before, Apple needs to work hard to convince the unconvinced and those who have avoided an iPhone so far will want something game-changing and I think they will have a hard time doing that. If the Pre seems new and fresh and the iPhone feels like more of the same, that could sway things.
    The iPhone is still selling like mad though and Apple just had one its its best quarters ever.
  4. #24  
    HD and 32GB changes the game for me, IF TRUE that is.

    If that keyboard rumor is true, although I'm skeptical about that one, it changes the game more than the other 2.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    You keep saying this, but you do know the app store works fine on the iPhone 1.0. So using your logic the only difference between the first and second iPhone was 3G.
    That, and the fact that when they launched the App store, you could only buy a 3G (aside from refurbs, eBay, etc.).
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    That, and the fact that when they launched the App store, you could only buy a 3G (aside from refurbs, eBay, etc.).
    And soon you will only be able to buy the newest iPhone. Your arguments make little to no sense.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    The iPhone is still selling like mad though and Apple just had one its its best quarters ever.
    Yeah but most cell phone contracts are 2 years, these current buyers are probably finally free of old contracts. But again, I think the market Pre is going for is the unconvinced by Apple, and then the hope is to pull buzz from iPhone users who are underwhelmed with the latest hardware from Apple. Like I said, if there are 1st gen iPhone users unimpressed with AT&T (finally out of their 2 year contract) and who find the new hardware less than stellar they may jump for Pre if it seems like the "it" gadget and the iPhone feels like a rehash.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    HD and 32GB changes the game for me, IF TRUE that is.

    If that keyboard rumor is true, although I'm skeptical about that one, it changes the game more than the other 2.
    I doubt we will see a hard keyboard. Steve Jobs was so against it when he introduced the original iPhone. I think we will see.......

    - larger storage (probably 32 gig)
    - higher rez screen
    - faster processor
    - new graphics chip

    Other things that would be great.....

    - new notifications system
    - video conferencing
    - Verizon availability
    - LED light for alerts
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    I kinda feel bad for Palm. Releasing on the heels of this event could prove devastating for the Pre. Because this doesn't give people enough time to fall in love with the Pre You're going to have a lot of people just go for the new iPhone because they're more comfortable/familiar with it and the extensive third-party support.
    Yep

    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    On the flip side.....currently the Pre is being hailed as the first true iPhone killer, you see the two mentioned together just about everywhere. So once the new iPhone is announced, the Tech Press will right away want to compare it to the Pre, which means, more press for the Pre.

    You can look at it both ways, only time will tell how it pans out.
    Manny - intresting twist, however I cannot suppor tthis suggestion. Good marketing plans take hard work and planning. hanging off another prodcuts coat tails is not a good idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikah912 View Post
    Gosh, if only Palm and Sprint had launched this 2-3 months ago, everything would be different.

    Wait...actually nothing would be different. The attention at WWDC would be the same. The next iPhone would sell exactly the same. Palm and Sprint would have exactly the same chances to survive and thrive in this market.
    mikah - Your seuggesting that timing of a launch is not important. It;s acutally VERY important. here are some quick reasons:
    • Phone contracts last 1 to 2 years. If the Pre / new Iphone are released at the same time, any customer who goes with one over the other will be lost for some.
    • The pre is unproven / unknown phone. 2 months where it's major competetors (G1, Iphone, BB Storm) have all the older version of there phone on the markets, gives Palm the 'stage' all to themselves. When you are the only show in town, you get alot more business.
    • Airtime: Marketing the Pre w/o Apple marketing the new Iphone will get palm more free advertisement via news casts, blogs, etc.
    • Time to fix problems - Let's face it there will be some bugs. 2 months is long enough to figure thenm out a push a fix to the phone. Then, when ipohn is released, the phone is 100 % ready.
    da Gimp

    Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
  10. #30  
    He's saying the app store was the major reason for new sales. 3G and GPS enticed the iphone 1.0 owners and a bonus for everyone else.

    This go around, there's nothing remotely like the app store to spur new sales. Not saying it won't sell or that 3.0 won't grab a few people, but it won't have near the effect like the app store did. There's no speed enchancement like EDGE to 3G.

    Crappy video recording and storage increase? Yawn...

    Apple isn't increasing the resolution. No reason for them to do so. Even a faster processor or graphics chip doesn't add much value to the user. It only makes the phone ready perhaps for multitasking in 2010.
    Last edited by cardfan; 04/29/2009 at 02:31 PM.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model View Post



    mikah - Your seuggesting that timing of a launch is not important. It;s acutally VERY important. here are some quick reasons:
    • Phone contracts last 1 to 2 years. If the Pre / new Iphone are released at the same time, any customer who goes with one over the other will be lost for some.
    • The pre is unproven / unknown phone. 2 months where it's major competetors (G1, Iphone, BB Storm) have all the older version of there phone on the markets, gives Palm the 'stage' all to themselves. When you are the only show in town, you get alot more business.
    • Airtime: Marketing the Pre w/o Apple marketing the new Iphone will get palm more free advertisement via news casts, blogs, etc.
    • Time to fix problems - Let's face it there will be some bugs. 2 months is long enough to figure thenm out a push a fix to the phone. Then, when ipohn is released, the phone is 100 % ready.
    I guarantee you the iphone has bugs. 1.0 did. 2.0 did. Took several months for apple to address em.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    He's saying the app store was the major reason for new sales. 3G and GPS enticed the iphone 1.0 owners and a bonus for everyone else.

    This go around, there's nothing remotely like the app store to spur new sales. Not saying it won't sell or that 3.0 won't grab a few people, but it won't have near the effect like the app store did. There's no speed enchancement like EDGE to 3G.
    So you want to go on record now as saying that the next iPhone wont sell as much as the last one? I would be very careful to make that conclusion with out even knowing what the next iPhone will have.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    The iPhone is still selling like mad though and Apple just had one its its best quarters ever.
    I think he means if the next one is only a marginal upgrade, the parade may be coming to an end. I agree that's a problem for Apple because they have to do something different every time they release new hardware.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I doubt we will see a hard keyboard. Steve Jobs was so against it when he introduced the original iPhone.
    Yes, but he also was supposed to have said something like "who needs to watch video on a Nano", LOL!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    An analyst recently remarked that the iPhone is a unique technological device because it gets MORE useful the longer you own it. The App Store makes every existing iPhone more useful and every iPhone going forward more useful.
    Umm..any smartphone becomes more useful over time as more apps come out.
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I think he means if the next one is only a marginal upgrade, the parade may be coming to an end. I agree that's a problem for Apple because they have to do something different every time they release new hardware.
    But, if you can only buy the new one, and they just sold almost 4 million last quarter. Between new sales, and current iPhone owners upgrading you can probably assume they will still be selling a ton of these things.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    He's saying the app store was the major reason for new sales. 3G and GPS enticed the iphone 1.0 owners and a bonus for everyone else.

    This go around, there's nothing remotely like the app store to spur new sales. Not saying it won't sell or that 3.0 won't grab a few people, but it won't have near the effect like the app store did. There's no speed enchancement like EDGE to 3G.

    Crappy video recording and storage increase? Yawn...

    Apple isn't increasing the resolution. No reason for them to do so. Even a faster processor or graphics chip doesn't add much value to the user. It only makes the phone ready perhaps for multitasking in 2010.
    iPhone is a multi-media phone along with smartphone features. 32GB is great for storing good quality videos.

    I agree native video recording is long overdue, but Cycorder works.
    And yes, there's a reason for them to increase the screen resolution. iTunes HD videos, they want to sell them. If it's tied to their income, they could very well do it.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Yes, but he also was supposed to have said something like "who needs to watch video on a Nano", LOL!
    Yeah, but I can't think of any new apple product that ever had more buttons than it's predecessor. Steve Jobs is on a personal holy war against buttons. Notice the new keyboards with the iMacs are laptop like keyboards without numpads, Macbooks no longer have mouse buttons. Eventually all apple products will be single smooth shiny surfaces and Steve will have his victory.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Yes, but he also was supposed to have said something like "who needs to watch video on a Nano", LOL!
    good point!
  20. #40  
    Anyone who hasn't been sold already on the iPhone, for whatever reason (keyboard, AT&T, etc...) is ripe for the picking for Pre. The iPhone is also a victim of its own success here, unless something really game-changing and new comes out of WWDC, the Pre could look like a fantastic, flashy, new option (especially to those 1st gen iPhone owners who will be completing their contracts). If all the new car model offers is new rims and slightly more horsepower you might take a second look at the competition.

    Everything will depend on what the Pre looks like in its final form and specifications versus the iPhone 3.0 in its final form and specifications. I think it is important to note however that simply launching close to iPhone launch is not inherently fatal.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions