Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Not sure if this was covered, there are SOOOO many threads....

how many Pre's do you think will be at each store?
    I hope it isn't like the iPhone where you gotta wait in line for hours and not get one.
    The recently shipping rumors state that Palm/Sprint are planning distribution carefully. No more data has come out on this, however.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'll order online or through telesales (I'm on a call list w/ them to be alerted when the Pre is available for sale). Besides the possible waiting-in-line factor, the employees at my neighborhood Sprint store are awful. It's like they train them to be rude at this store, seriously...so yeah, I'll most likely purchase online or telesales.
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." L. Ron Hubbard
    Oh, please, do you think anyone here really knows?
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I'm counting on eleventeen at my local Sprint store.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    my wild guess is 50
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    why not 7.4?
    pi.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    pi.
    3.14 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by reminiz View Post
    3.14 ?
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    why not 7.4?
    It's quite obvious why not... I am sick of idiotic posts.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    It's quite obvious why not... I am sick of idiotic posts.
    lol. I was going off of 7.4 for the amount of storage you may be able to use.
    Based on this (from PreCentral Homepage):

Bloomberg article, wherein they polled a half dozen analysts and asked them what they figured the inventory of the Pre at launch would look like. The median answer: 375,000.
    Sprint has about 20,000 total distribution points, including nearly 1,400 company-owned stores.

So figure 18.75 per distribution site or 267.86 if they only deliver to Sprint owned stores. But I figure they will keep some for telesales and they have to have some for exchange/replacements so it wont look pretty no matter how you slice it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reminiz View Post
    lol. I was going off of 7.4 for the amount of storage you may be able to use.
    That's exactly the reason the stores will NOT have that amount... heh.
    Of course no one knows, but that doesn't mean you can't guess.

I found an article on Google that is about a year old. At that point, Spring appears to have had about 1000 stores and 20,000 other retail outlets (kiosks, presence in a BestBuy, RadioShack, etc).

They are rumored to have around 400,000 phones at launch.

Palm may not plan on selling many on the web, but Sprint may. Thus, not all the stock will go to stores. What's the ratio? Who knows, but I would guess that they want most of them in the hands of the first wave of users ASAP, so I'll guess that they put around 75% (300,000) in stores..and ignore the Kiosks in the first wave to ensure that the devices are in stores where there are Pre advocates.

If they do that, that's 300 per store. That said, they may hold more back for the web and they may seed some of the kiosks...so my best guess is 200-300. Of course, that is likely to be phased in. Perhaps a delivery of some number per week for however many weeks are between shipments from Palm's supplier.

Just a guess.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Based on this (from PreCentral Homepage):

Sprint has about 20,000 total distribution points, including nearly 1,400 company-owned stores.

So figure 18.75 per distribution site or 267.86 if they only deliver to Sprint owned stores. But I figure they will keep some for telesales and they have to have some for exchange/replacements so it wont look pretty no matter how you slice it.

Wow...I was typing my response up at the same time. Great minds think alike. That said, I thought that Sprint had fewer stores since they closed 8% of them last year...but granted, my data is old. Either way, you are looking at more like 200 per store than 20...assuming that they also don't try to seed all those kiosks and hold a ton back for web orders.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Wow...I was typing my response up at the same time. Great minds think alike. That said, I thought that Sprint had fewer stores since they closed 8% of them last year...but granted, my data is old. Either way, you are looking at more like 200 per store than 20...assuming that they also don't try to seed all those kiosks and hold a ton back for web orders.
    Agreed.

I was assuming around 20,000 stores nationwide. You're right about Sprint claiming to be closing 125 company-owned retail locations and 4,000 third-party distribution points in 2008 but who knows how many they've actually closed down at this point. Plus the Pre got a very warm reception at CES since nobody else launched anything that big this year they might put some of the closings on hold to wait and see if devices like the Pre can bring 'em back.

So more accurately I would guess something like a third of the total Pre units will go to telesales/websales and exchange/replacements. Leaving about 250,000 to be sold at 1,400 Sprint owned brick and mortar stores. However I think stores like Best Buy will get the phone and they have about 800 stores nationwide. That would leave us with about 114 per store nationwide, remember some stores will get more while others will get less. Basically they'll all get sold out on the first day.
    i would figure there will not be an even distribution per store.... they probably will base the distribution on the size of the markets and how other releases sold @ certain locations... that said most kiosks don't have storage for more than 100 phones so they will get 10 @ most... just my guest