Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    do you believe there is any validity to this advice? does it apply to the Preh?
    There is always that risk with something new. I felt pretty confident buying the Treo Pro after reading all the reviews. There has been one patch for the Treo Pro using a bluetooth device while receiving 2 calls at once.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

That advice has some validity to it. But in the end, the 2nd generation device will have new bugs with the old ones fixed. The 3rd gen will have new bugs with the 1st & 2nd bugs fixed, etc.
    One certainly takes a risk by buying the first generation of anything since there is always issues that only widespread use will uncover. Now, whether or not these issues are/can be addressed for current users remains to be seen.

Also later devices (if any) contain new feature the previous devices don't.

However if enough people do not buy 1.0 there will never be a 2.0.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    There is always that risk with something new. I felt pretty confident buying the Treo Pro after reading all the reviews. There has been one patch for the Treo Pro using a bluetooth device while receiving 2 calls at once.
    WINMOB wasn't first generation. WebOS is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    Hell no! Being on the bleeding edge is the only place to be.
    WINMOB wasn't first generation. WebOS is.
    Very true, but it's Linux based, so I would think it's pretty stable. The Space Shuttle uses Linux.
    My Phone & My Wife's Phone Two Unlocked GSM Treo Pro's

i did @ one time. But w/ a phone like the pre they can push updates to the phone on a regular schedule. I think that changes the equation.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Not for me, I like to be working out the bugs. Others have said in various places that more important than releasing quickly is that the pre is released with few or no major bugs. I personally disagree. But of course I'm running a release candidate windows OS along side a linux OS that I just upgraded out of beta, so I love living on the edge and I'll gladly put up with bugs for the sake of more features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    That advice has some validity to it. But in the end, the 2nd generation device will have new bugs with the old ones fixed. The 3rd gen will have new bugs with the 1st & 2nd bugs fixed, etc.
    Well, for Apple it is wait for the 4th Gen before you buy.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    It seems that Palm has been taking great care to minimize bugs. That said, there will be some once the developer community gets cranked up. Hopefully they'll be able to update the devices over the air and do a better job than they have in the past. The 700p was a disaster.

I prefer to think of that as the "old Palm" and now we're seeing the "new Palm"
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    ...but it won't stop me from getting a prprpr&#$275$; $shortly$ $after$ $release$. :-)
    I got the Blackberry Storm and that thing sold 400k units on first few weeks.. the thing is laggy crashes and not very intutive...

I can almost bet with a 99% certainty that the Palm Pre will have it's issues.. BUT will have NO where NEAR the issues the Storm Has... Out of the box it will be a much better Phone/OS experience.
    No problem with first generation, it's just first days that I would be wary of. I would want to see a few unbiased user reviews before I jumped.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Hell no! Being on the bleeding edge is the only place to be.
    I actually support this philosophy, as long as folks recognize the inherent risks, bugginess, etc. of being on the bleeding edge. Difficulty comes when people expect 1st gen devices to be perfect.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin View Post
    I actually support this philosophy, as long as folks recognize the inherent risks, bugginess, etc. of being on the bleeding edge. Difficulty comes when people expect 1st gen devices to be perfect.
    I agree...I've always said that I will wait a little while because of bugs but it never happens...and I expect to have some issues.
    "Never buy the first generation of anything. Give them time to work out the bugs."
    Well let's see I'm using Treo 700P with a 7 year old OS with a broken charge connector. A sad 62M worth of storage which is almost all filled up (I'm sick of buying SD cards, they pop out when you drop the phone and disappear into a black hole). I have no WiFi, GPS or dignity with this phone. So I'll take a chance on a slick new phone with a bright, bigger screen and all the goodies the iPhone has plus a revolutionary OS that looks promising.

With over the air updates and Linux as the core OS I'm really not worried to much about having a first generation device.
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    Not for me, I like to be working out the bugs. Others have said in various places that more important than releasing quickly is that the pre is released with few or no major bugs. I personally disagree. But of course I'm running a release candidate windows OS along side a linux OS that I just upgraded out of beta, so I love living on the edge and I'll gladly put up with bugs for the sake of more features.
    Me too, I'm the same way.

Let me have a guess to what OS's you are using..... Windows 7 RC & Ubuntu 9.04. I have the same setup if I'm correct.
    I say wait for people to report issues with the first batch, then decide if you want to jump in. Sometimes they have to either recall or do a firmware update almost immediately. Though I certainly hope recalls WON'T be an issue with the Pre. Firmware updates, no biggie.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I say wait for people to report issues with the first batch, then decide if you want to jump in. Sometimes they have to either recall or do a firmware update almost immediately. Though I certainly hope recalls WON'T be an issue with the Pre. Firmware updates, no biggie.
    What's considered to be the first batch? First month? First 2-3 months?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast