Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 47 of 47
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Ummm... er.... huh?
    let me translate. the cloud sounds great in theory and on paper - until in reality it bites you in the @$$ in one of many different ways.
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    let me translate. the cloud sounds great in theory and on paper - until in reality it bites you in the @$$ in one of many different ways.
    Well, it's working great for me so far. I don't currently have a smartphone because before there never was one that wasn't tied to sync software. But I never skip a beat going from my work computer to any of the OSs on my home computer. All my school papers are in google docs, calendar is on google, gmail, remember the milk for a todo list. Any information I need I can get from any device with a decent browser.
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    Well, it's working great for me so far. I don't currently have a smartphone because before there never was one that wasn't tied to sync software. But I never skip a beat going from my work computer to any of the OSs on my home computer. All my school papers are in google docs, calendar is on google, gmail, remember the milk for a todo list. Any information I need I can get from any device with a decent browser.
    school papers??? google docs??? no current smartphone???

    i have almost 3,000 contacts. i'm operating at a whole other PIM level than you.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    school papers??? google docs??? no current smartphone???

    i have almost 3,000 contacts. i'm operating at a whole other PIM level than you.
    Yes, my papers for finishing up my Degree. As far as my work contacts, Exchange manages those for me, personal contacts are in google. I can live without a smartphone because I have a desk job and do not travel. I never said there weren't people who needed more or suggested that other techniques were bad. But I go through operating systems like socks and sync software is just too much of a headache. This is why the pre is perfect for me. If the pre required syncing it would be just like every other smartphone IMO and I would have no interest.

    I don't know what your situation is, but I know people who also could use more of a move into the cloud. People who have two smartphones, one personal and one business simply because they have to sync their business phone to their work computer and their personal phone to their personal computer. Don't tell me that they'd be worse off with business data stored in exchange and personal data stored in the service of their choice.
  5.    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    Yes, my papers for finishing up my Degree. As far as my work contacts, Exchange manages those for me, personal contacts are in google. I can live without a smartphone because I have a desk job and do not travel. I never said there weren't people who needed more or suggested that other techniques were bad. But I go through operating systems like socks and sync software is just too much of a headache. This is why the pre is perfect for me. If the pre required syncing it would be just like every other smartphone IMO and I would have no interest.

    I don't know what your situation is, but I know people who also could use more of a move into the cloud. People who have two smartphones, one personal and one business simply because they have to sync their business phone to their work computer and their personal phone to their personal computer. Don't tell me that they'd be worse off with business data stored in exchange and personal data stored in the service of their choice.
    my business contacts are invaluable. i want them where i want them.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    let me translate. the cloud sounds great in theory and on paper - until in reality it bites you in the @$$ in one of many different ways.
    Actually, I wouldn't say you're translating, but rather clarifying. Your original comment was unclear.

    I'm well aware of the risks of the cloud. So far, though, I haven't lost a shred of data out there, while I've lost plenty of data to local system failures. As long as the Pre has some way to back up, which it looks to do, I'm not terribly worried about it.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    my business contacts are invaluable. i want them where i want them.
    Gekko, I think you missed an important part of what he said:

    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    ... I never said there weren't people who needed more or suggested that other techniques were bad.

    ...

    I don't know what your situation is, but I know people who also could use more of a move into the cloud.

    ...
    He's got a point. Once I got a program that automatically backed up my Treo to a card, I got where I only synced once a month or so. My wife has a Centro that she never syncs. Her data (contact lists, memos, calender, etc) is synchronized using GroupWise and GroupWise Mobile. She recently had her Centro stolen, and lost her photograpsh, but everything else pulled down from herwork system.

    I think the point here is that for many, "the cloud" is great, for some, it's acceptable, there will be some that will push for synchronization until someting comes up that works.

    I'm taking a "I'll give it a try and see how it goes" attitude. I remember when I got my first Treo. I looked at the keyboard, and thought "this is never gonna fly" (for those of you that don't go that far back, Graffiti was used on the original Palm devices instead of a keyboard). I was assured by the folks that gave me the Treo that once I got used to it, I'd like it better. I purchased software that let me continue to use Graffiti - for a while. Eventually, I got used to the keyboard, and found I preferred it. I have a sneaky suspicion I'm going to end up feeling the same way about synchronization.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions