Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Krod301 View Post
    Me too, I'm the same way.

Let me have a guess to what OS's you are using..... Windows 7 RC & Ubuntu 9.04. I have the same setup if I'm correct.
    Of course. Now if only I can get OSx86 to work. With all the OSs I go through and amount of computers I use in a day the palm pre having no desktop sync is absolutely what sold me on the phone. The phone works in the cloud like I do.
    I'd say the batch that first arrives in stores and/or online. Items from that batch will almost immediately get reviews online. Then you wait and see if there's any problems reported and if the company will do anything about it.

One example: when they had to reflash the firmware on one of the new Nokia NAMs, they offered in store exchanges for the next batch that had the improved firmware. The ones that had the 3G problems was the first batch that arrived in stores. Another example from Nokia, the first batch online of Nokia NAM N95 8GB got reports of wobbly sliders, although I never checked back to see if they fixed the problem on those.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I say wait for people to report issues with the first batch, then decide if you want to jump in. Sometimes they have to either recall or do a firmware update almost immediately. Though I certainly hope recalls WON'T be an issue with the Pre. Firmware updates, no biggie.
    When I tried out the Storm in Nov, there were people on forums claiming there were 2 builds made, and the newer one had hardware revisions. I had the older build which sucked because the screen was very wobbly and couldn't respond very well to the corners of the screen. People with the newer build were saying that the screen felt more secure, tighter, and responsive. They even had a trick as to putting a cardboard or something behind the battery to make it feel like the newer builds. That was funny.

Talk about problems, the Storm had hardware and software problems. I hope the Pre doesn't, but Palm has been really good when it comes to hardware. Lord knows how many times I've dropped my 650 and 700p and they still work beautifully.
    Don't forget that if there are no bugs to complain about there will be no reason for some to post
    People will then post glowing reports and anyone on the fence will be sold!

Someone always posts, good or bad.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean-Troy View Post
    Don't forget that if there are no bugs to complain about there will be no reason for some to post
    But then, they probably don't intend to get one anyway.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    It all depends on what kind of user you are - if you see your phone purely as a tool for getting things you want to do done, then you probably aren't going to be happy if you buy day 1 and run into some sort of crippling software bug, which you might avoid by waiting a month or so until they can get the first patches out. However, I'm guessing that a lot, if not most, of the readers of these forums hold a stronger connection to their phones, and derive pleasure from discovering new features and such - and maybe even finding bugs and working around them.

I don't know about any of you, but I'm the kind of guy who, when he's completely bored and has nothing better to do, will completely blow away his old install of Windows and all programs installed and just start clean - why? 'Cause I find it fun. (I don't know why, but despite my severe ADD, I've always found myself fascinated with watching progress bars - it's an almost zen-like feeling of bliss to see that thing that's been grinding away for a while finally hit 100% and go on to the next thing it has to do...) So I'm willing to bet that if you share the same or a similar (completely insane) thought process as I do, you'll be willing to put up with any issues to be the first on your block to get it in your hands.
    Considering we have a 30 day return/exchange policy, I think I'm all good for first dibs!
    "Never regret yesterday. Life is in you today, and you make your tomorrow." óL. Ron Hubbard
    I won't necessarily wait for the 2nd generation, but I will wait for the early adopters to use it and report back. I won't buy the first production run of any product, and I won't buy an expensive product without doing some research to figure out how well it meets my needs.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Very true, but it's Linux based, so I would think it's pretty stable. The Space Shuttle uses Linux.
    Even if that's true (about the shuttle, I mean) I doubt that the Pre has undergone quite the level of testing that the computers on the shuttle have. And WebOS is built on top of Linux. That's where I'd expect the bulk of the bugs to be.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    I was always the first guy up for beta testing and getting brand new toys, but I've found that with age comes patience. I just want my stuff to work! No more tweaking, extreme overclocking, tweaks, upgrades, etc... I really want a Pre on day 1, but I don't get the $150 upgrade savings until 6/1. Of course, the Pre may not even be out then. I was kind of hoping I had to wait til July for the discount - bummer. I'm still giong to try to wait.
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I just hope I can get one on the first day. I as all of us have been waiting patiently for a long long time. So even if it's buggy, or even if it only lasts for a few minutes. My wait will be over. I expect buggyness, but like I said I just want to play with this bad boy!
    _
    Pilot, PalmPilot Personal, PalmPilot Professional, Palm III, Palm IIIx, PalmV, Palm VII, PalmVx, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro

Somewhere in the mix, I also used a PDQ, Kyocera 6035 <--One of my favorites, Kyocera 7135, HandSpring Visor, Samsung i500 <--One of my absolute favorites!...

-
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    do you believe there is any validity to this advice? does it apply to the Preh?
    This something I too keep in mind when deciding on buying the pre. But, with technology, you always have to make the choice between:
    - the technology that has proven itself, that has been in development for a long time and is near bug free
    - or the technology that may be a bit unstable, but has all the new cool features that the old technology doesn't have.

it's the same as with beta software. take firefox for instance. although their beta versions are beta, I never encountered any bugs or unstability. So if a company does it's best to reduce the amount of bugs, then it should be a good decision to go with the new (first gen) technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Well, for Apple it is wait for the 4th Gen before you buy.
    Does everything always have to come back to Apple? Seriously.

To answer the question of the OP I think it depends on what kind of person you are.

If you like your devices to work as advertised with minimal problems and don't mind waiting then I would wait.

If you want your devices as quickly as possible and either don't mind sifting through problems, or enjoy being part of improving a project I don't see a problem in having a device when it first comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    Of course. Now if only I can get OSx86 to work. With all the OSs I go through and amount of computers I use in a day the palm pre having no desktop sync is absolutely what sold me on the phone. The phone works in the cloud like I do.
    Absolutely great point! That's been my thinking with the Pre as well, and why I'm so excited about it. I can't wait to use the Pre to manage info stored in the cloud, rather than trying to figure out how to keep Outlook on my PCs and Entourage on my Mac in sync. And, having all of that data with me at all times... just lovely.
  16.    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Absolutely great point! That's been my thinking with the Pre as well, and why I'm so excited about it. I can't wait to use the Pre to manage info stored in the cloud, rather than trying to figure out how to keep Outlook on my PCs and Entourage on my Mac in sync. And, having all of that data with me at all times... just lovely.
    be careful what you wish for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    be careful what you wish for.
    Ummm... er.... huh?
    I went from a Samsung A900 dumb phone to a Sprint Touch. I modded the hell out of it. If I can handle that, I am sure the Pre will be a breeze.
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    I think the coolness of having this new gadget with this new OS would outweigh the risk. Also the fact that over-the-air patch or update is so easy these days, it neutralizes the "never buy first gen" advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Well, for Apple it is wait for the 4th Gen before you buy.
    hahaha, I have the new Unibody Mac Book Pro. I brought it in October last year, and didn't get a proper working one until February this year!! I had 3 of them in total, so yes when you buy the first batch of anything you take a risk.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast