Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have the 700p and love it. Probably will not upgrade to pre. The biggest failure of the device is that you cannot use the Phone-as-a-modem in my opinion. I use this feature all the time with USB Modem on my 700p. I have the everything plan with sprint and it includes this. With the Pre I will be forced to get the internet card for my mac and pay an additional $50 per month. It seems that sprint is forcing this issue.

Another huge draw back is no SD card. 8GB is simply not enough as I use 16GB on my 700p and it is stuffed with music and photos.

Speaking of music, apparently the pre will not do this either. A lot of people use their 700p as an ipod for music and photos.

In addition, I will have to purchase new software. Although I hear that they will have an emulator for the treo. But will this do the three things listed above?

Seems like the pre is focused on sucking more money out of us as the simply everything plan is required ($100/month) and no tethering to the laptop (another $50/month).

So why bother?
    As I understand it, Simply Everything is not required, Everything Data is, which is as low as $69/month.

Also the pre will most certainly play music. It has an Amazon MP3 store app as well as a Pandora app confirmed.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Then wait. See what may be in the future of the Pre II.
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-maniac View Post

Speaking of music, apparently the pre will not do this either. A lot of people use their 700p as an ipod for music and photos.
    Not sure where your getting the information about the music part. Amazon mp3 store, and I don't see why you couldn't drag and drop songs directly to the pre.
  5.    #5  
    Phone as a modem for me is the killer. Regarding music it says here Some Palm Pre Questions Inside Sprint Now that it will not. "The Pre phone does NOT support Sprint Music, Sprint PictureMail, or Sprint Digital Lounge." and "Where is downloaded Amazon music stored on the phone?

MP3s are stored on the mass storage partition" not on the Pre!

And a post by B there"THATS CRAP ABOUT THE MUSIC STORE CAUSE I HAVE A LOT OF MUSIC ITS GOING TO BE ALOT OF PISSED OFF PEOPLE I KNOW THAT PEOPLE WHO HAVE SPENT ALOT ON MUSIC AND CAN USE IT ON THERE NEW SUPPOSIDLY BETTER THEN IPHONE DEVICE ONE THING I DO KNOW I HAVE A MAC AND I TUNES IF I GO OUT AND BY A I PHONE I CAN GET ALL MY DAMN MUSIC …… PRE WHAT A FREAKING WASTE"

etc.

And a post by B there"THATS CRAP ABOUT THE MUSIC STORE CAUSE I HAVE A LOT OF MUSIC ITS GOING TO BE ALOT OF PISSED OFF PEOPLE I KNOW THAT PEOPLE WHO HAVE SPENT ALOT ON MUSIC AND CAN USE IT ON THERE NEW SUPPOSIDLY BETTER THEN IPHONE DEVICE ONE THING I DO KNOW I HAVE A MAC AND I TUNES IF I GO OUT AND BY A I PHONE I CAN GET ALL MY DAMN MUSIC PRE WHAT A FREAKING WASTE"

etc.
    huh?! periods and not ALL CAPPS!! please
    This is not meant to insult you, but you seem to misunderstand drive partitioning. A partition is a sectioned off portion of the same physical drive. There is one physical 8GB flash card inside the pre, one small partition is used to house the webos, and the rest, roughly 7.4GB IIRC is the "mass storage partition", which means you can use it to store whatever you want. MP3's and videos stored on there will be playable on the pre. As for iTunes, if you bought iTunes+ tracks with no DRM you can easily convert them to mp3s and drag and drop them onto the Pre. If you bought tunes on sprint music, then you might be SOL, but the only disadvantage you have under the iphone is that you can't play DRMd tracks.

The advantage over the iphone is you can drag and drop any unDRM'd mp3 from any computer and any operating system, where with the iPhone you have to have iTunes, which means I on linux am SOL.

As for Sprint PictureMail, that will no longer be necessary because the pre supports MMS, which means getting pics sent directly to the phone without going to the picturemail website.
  8.    #8  
    Just quoted it directly from the post. Not responsible for grammatical mistakes.

This means a part of the internal 8 gb that can be accessed as a usb drive when you attach it to a pc/mac with a usb cable.

Do you really think the Pre could get released without being able to play mp3?

seems like viral - anti-pre marketing to me -- not you - the other poster
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Phone as a modem for me is the killer. Regarding music it says here Some Palm Pre Questions Inside Sprint Now that it will not. "The Pre phone does NOT support Sprint Music, Sprint PictureMail, or Sprint Digital Lounge." and "Where is downloaded Amazon music stored on the phone?

And a post by B there"THATS CRAP ABOUT THE MUSIC STORE CAUSE I HAVE A LOT OF MUSIC ITS GOING TO BE ALOT OF PISSED OFF PEOPLE I KNOW THAT PEOPLE WHO HAVE SPENT ALOT ON MUSIC AND CAN USE IT ON THERE NEW SUPPOSIDLY BETTER THEN IPHONE DEVICE ONE THING I DO KNOW I HAVE A MAC AND I TUNES IF I GO OUT AND BY A I PHONE I CAN GET ALL MY DAMN MUSIC PRE WHAT A FREAKING WASTE"

etc.

Sprint music does not equal music.

Look, maybe the Pre is not for you. Some people have different needs, and some phones are better suited for those needs.

I have just never heard of anyone ever saying the 700p is that phone before.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  11.    #11  
    Yeah, it has to play mp3's or no one will buy it. Did you read the other article?

I like the 700p because of the reasons I stated, especially the phone as a modem. And SD cards. Whether the Pre does music is an issue. I would think it would have to but the article says otherwise.
    Yeah, it has to play mp3's or no one will buy it. Did you read the other article?

I like the 700p because of the reasons I stated, especially the phone as a modem. And SD cards. Whether the Pre does music is an issue. I would think it would have to but the article says otherwise.

I think you are misreading. It definitely plays music. Drag and drop mp3 files onto the device a play away. It's the same as dragging and dropping files onto an SD card.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    I have the 700p and love it. Probably will not upgrade to pre. The biggest failure of the device is that you cannot use the Phone-as-a-modem in my opinion. I use this feature all the time with USB Modem on my 700p. I have the everything plan with sprint and it includes this. With the Pre I will be forced to get the internet card for my mac and pay an additional $50 per month. It seems that sprint is forcing this issue.
    Get the internet card? For what?
    If your Mac (or PC) has Bluetooth built in (or buy a dongle), you will most likely just be able tether the phone to the computer wirelessly for an internet connection.
    And I am willing to be someone will release an application to allow USB tethering.

As mentioned above, the Pre has a native music application. The is also the Amazon Music Store & the Pandora App. I'm sure more music applications will eventually show up (Like a pTunes or a LastFM player)

In addition, I will have to purchase new software. Although I hear that they will have an emulator for the treo. But will this do the three things listed above?
    The emulator will be able to run any PalmOS apps that have yet to be created specifically for the Pre. Many developers will probably hop on board and port/re-create their apps for WebOS once they see it is actually worth the work.

Seems like the pre is focused on sucking more money out of us as the simply everything plan is required ($100/month) and no tethering to the laptop (another $50/month).

So why bother?
    Seems like you could have done a little more digging & reading before posting some slight haterness.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    Drag and drop mp3 files onto the device a play away. It's the same as dragging and dropping files onto an SD card.
    And there are plenty of other apps (Amarok comes to mind) that can do ipod type syncing with an external drive so you don't have to drag and drop actual files if you don't want to.
    I can't help you out on the SD card issue, but I will go out on a limb and say that there will be some sort of phone-as-modem software for the Pre at some point. The statement in the article you referenced means that Sprint will not offer their phone-as-modem service, which IIRC is like a $40/month add-on anyway.

USB modem and/or PDANet should have software for the Pre at some point, but how soon will likely depend on Palm's willingness to give their developers access to the hardware.

And the referral to Sprint Music is another reference to a Sprint service, not the Pre's ability to play music - local or streamed. Rest assured, the Pre will be a capable media device.

Also, it seems you've let quite a few people provide you with readily available information that you could (should?) have easily searched for. Perhaps some "Thanks!" are in order for those people.
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    Get the internet card? For what?
    If your Mac (or PC) has Bluetooth built in (or buy a dongle), you will most likely just be able tether the phone to the computer wirelessly for an internet connection.
    And I am willing to be someone will release an application to allow USB tethering.
    :
    This of course is my number one concern. I quote from the article,
    "REMEMBER: The Pre phone will not have a Phone as Modem plan option."

Remember the days of Shawdowmite's hacks on the 650? Is that what we are going to have to return to? You say it will support Bluetooth tethering. Will it? And if it does will Sprint allow you to use it with the simply everything price to aceess the internet from you laptop?

This is a critical issue!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave View Post
    I can't help you out on the SD card issue, but I will go out on a limb and say that there will be some sort of phone-as-modem software for the Pre at some point. The statement in the article you referenced means that Sprint will not offer their phone-as-modem service, which IIRC is like a $40/month add-on anyway.
    $40 a month more? Unacceptable. This is what I believe sprint will be ultimately up to. Suck more $$ out of us.
    Wow... based on your responses to both the unofficial FAQ and the posts on here, I'd have to seriously question your reading comprehension skills...
    I have the everything plan with sprint and it includes this.
    Actually, it doesn't. If you're using your phone as a modem and not paying for the additional service you are breaking Sprints Terms of Service.

General Terms of Service
    Terms & Conditions
    Except with Phone-as-Modem plans, you may not use a phone (including a Bluetooth phone) as a modem in connection with a computer, PDA, or similar device. We reserve the right to deny or terminate service without notice for any misuse or any use that adversely affects network performance.
    Details on Simply Everything Plan
    Simply Everything
    Phone as modem or tethering: not included.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    Actually, it doesn't. If you're using your phone as a modem and not paying for the additional service you are breaking Sprints Terms of Service.

General Terms of Service
    Terms & Conditions

Details on Simply Everything Plan
    Simply Everything
    Don't think it applies to everything plan. See attached picture, it says unlimited data.
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast