Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-maniac View Post
    Don't think it applies to everything plan. See attached picture, it says unlimited data.
    It does.

Simply Everything
    "'Form follows function' — that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Don't think it applies to everything plan. See attached picture, it says unlimited data.
    Unlimited data for regular programs that are used on the device.
    With cellular companies, tethering is technically like a whole different set of data use. Tethering with the use of programs like PDAnet can violate the Terms of Service & put a strain on the network. Which is why some providers (like Sprint) charge extra for it.
  3.    #23  
    Interesting, because you cannot purchase tethering as an option on the everything plan because I asked. They said it should work as it always had. So is it the honor system not to use it? And only use data on the phone itself? Yet it works fine with the phone.

Confused?

Edit: And back to the Pre, now the situation gets more interesting. If you cannot purchase tethering, will it work anyway?
    Edit: Too slow, already stated
    Last edited by asforme; 04/28/2009 at 03:25 PM.
    I would guess they no longer offer that plan because they want to sell their usb cards now.
    Phone as a modem for me is the killer. Regarding music it says here Some Palm Pre Questions « Inside Sprint Now that it will not. "The Pre phone does NOT support Sprint Music, Sprint PictureMail, or Sprint Digital Lounge." and "Where is downloaded Amazon music stored on the phone?

MP3s are stored on the mass storage partition" not on the Pre!
    PROTIP: There is a difference between the Sprint Music store and a music player. The Pre has the latter. As for where it is stored, the other posters here answered that. Sprint Music, Sprint PictureMail, and Sprint Digital Lounge are Sprints version of a media player, MMS, and app store. These will be replacef by webOS programs on the Pre.
    Interesting, because you cannot purchase tethering as an option on the everything plan because I asked. They said it should work as it always had. So is it the honor system not to use it? And only use data on the phone itself? Yet it works fine with the phone.

Confused?

Edit: And back to the Pre, now the situation gets more interesting. If you cannot purchase tethering, will it work anyway?
    It's sort of an honor system. You can use a program like PDAnet & use tethering with the "regular" data you pay for & most of the time, you will get away with it. The company won't bother to slap you on the wrist.

But if tons of data is used via tethering, say like downloading 4gb a day (4 movies & a few music albums using torrents), it's more likely that the company would notice it. In this situation, the company can charge you for extra data or just remove the data connectivity for violating their ToS.
    I also heard that the Palm Pre doesn't protect against diseases or fly.

Seriously though, can people please relax. Specifications and what the device can and can't do are still in flux. We don't know fully. Calm down. Hope the feature you want is there, be concerned, but can we please drop the histrionics?

It also won't cure cancer.
    Last edited by prereferee; 04/28/2009 at 03:36 PM.
    Yeah TI, you are basing EVERYTHING you are saying on rumors. Nothing is concrete yet, nothing is known for sure, no one knows anything factual. The guy from insidesprint could be just pulling everyones leg, who knows? If you are that worried about it, don't get it or wait till someone has it and ask. Until then, quit yelling and stomping around. We are all really excited for this thing, and we are all on edge from the lack of info, but what can you do about it?? Nothing, sit and wait-
    Quote Originally Posted by asforme View Post
    Actually, it doesn't. If you're using your phone as a modem and not paying for the additional service you are breaking Sprints Terms of Service.

General Terms of Service
    Terms & Conditions

Details on Simply Everything Plan
    Simply Everything
    How often do they terminate service for doing that? Going by their TOS they should also sue Junefabrics and Mobile-Stream for making their apps. And if they do terminate service thats a good thing! No contract for you without ETF.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Personally I'm very happy not to have to deal with Sprint Picture mail. What a p.o.s!

I'm sure tethering will become an option with a 3rd party app at some point. Besides, if you're that hard up for access you should be excited about Sprint releasing their Wimax cards in the near future.

For me tethering is nice and has saved my bacon a few times, but I wouldn't make it my only option for connecting when I'm traveling. If it's that important to you you should get a data card.
    Palm Pilot -> Palm IIIX -> Tungsten T3 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    How often do they terminate service for doing that? Going by their TOS they should also sue Junefabrics and Mobile-Stream for making their apps. And if they do terminate service thats a good thing! No contract for you without ETF.
    A few years back I remember T-Mobile just disabled my data connection when I was violating their ToS. I had their $5 T-Zones plan & was using it to USB tether my Treo. The then disabled it & when I called they told me why & that I must pay $20 for a data connection that would allow tethering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I just mention the TOS because you can't expect sprint to advertise capability or provide the software to do something that is against the TOS. Now if someone hacks the pre and can make it happen, I doubt they'll care about a few people browsing the web via tethering... unless they decide they really want to try to force people into their mobile broadband plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    A few years back I remember T-Mobile just disabled my data connection when I was violating their ToS. I had their $5 T-Zones plan & was using it to USB tether my Treo. The then disabled it & when I called they told me why & that I must pay $20 for a data connection that would allow tethering.
    That was t-zones though which was when data was in very low demand back then. Hehe I remember using my SE phones with t-zones.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

15.    #35  
    If tethering is against the TOS, then why doesn't Sprint turn it off? It was off initially until the Shawdomite hack, then Sprint turned it on. Why did Sprint turn it on if it is against the TOS???? My plan says unlimited data. Others here "interpret" that to be only for use on the phone, yet bluetooth tethering works. Granted USB modem is a third party app, but the bluetooth tethering is NATIVE to the OS.

And Sprint can turn it off.

This leads me to believe that unlimited data includes tethering, yet the confusing part is Captain Hair's RED BOX above.

But I understand that the next generation cards will support 4G and Wimax. The pre, if it supports anything, has been rumored to support only 3G so I think the obvious answer at this point is to reduce the everything plan and get a card, to be legal. I think this is what Sprint wants us to do anyway.
    If tethering is against the TOS, then why doesn't Sprint turn it off? It was off initially until the Shawdomite hack, then Sprint turned it on. Why did Sprint turn it on if it is against the TOS???? My plan says unlimited data. Others here "interpret" that to be only for use on the phone, yet bluetooth tethering works. Granted USB modem is a third party app, but the bluetooth tethering is NATIVE to the OS.

This leads me to believe that unlimited data includes tethering, yet the confusing part is Captain Hair's RED BOX above.

But I understand that the next generation cards will support 4G and Wimax. The pre, if it supports anything, has been rumored to support only 3G so I think the obvious answer at this point is to reduce the everything plan and get a card, to be legal. I think this is what Sprint wants us to do anyway.
    shhhhhh don't say turn it off

Because then the people that are paying extra for it might get mad when it doesn't work, and it wouldn't stop the "hacked" tethering with PDANet & USB Modem anyway.

The reason PDANet & USB Modem work is because it disables the flag saying the device is being tethered. It appears to Sprint as if the data is going to the device.
  18.    #38  
    I was paying extra for it before I switched to the simply everything plan and was and am currently willing to pay for it. But the sprint person said it was not offered as extra and it should work anyway. And it does.

So, Captain Hair's red box is correct, it is not included and can not be included because it works regardless. If you look at the pic I uploaded early it shows usuage and it says unlimited. If it could be included, or you could pay for it then they would charge by the Kb. But sprint includes it under my unlimited data usuage.

I didn't know about the tethered flag with USB Modem. But it still works with bluetooth anyway so what is the difference?
    Last edited by Ti-maniac; 04/28/2009 at 04:44 PM. Reason: grammar
    It will not make you smarter

You guys are funny. Read your TOS. You're only "lead to believe" that because you want to believe it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast