Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Pooh View Post
    No. Seems less likely actually (if this were even true).

The phones still need to be flashed with final firmware... going to take longer than 2 weeks and still be shipped to stores.
    As long as the current OS build can handle the creation of a Palm ID and sign onto the internet the Pre can update its OS OTA remember? Flashing the Pre at the depot is both an old, outdated way of doing things and a waste of money.

Buy your Pre, sign on and it automatically updates to the latest OS build OTA, just like a real OS!
    Im in Cincy, Louisville isnt that far away... not to mention the Pie Kitchen is there...
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    Im in Cincy, Louisville isnt that far away... not to mention the Pie Kitchen is there...
    Go Cincy! Yeah, 100 miles isn't so bad.

Too bad it's 100 miles into Kentucky.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Anyone have any "connections" to UPS employees who can track the movement of this delivery? LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by lastdetailwd View Post
    If I lived in that area and had the day off, I would totally scope it out with ya!
    i don;t leave any where near there ... still ....
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair View Post
    Go Cincy! Yeah, 100 miles isn't so bad.

Too bad it's 100 miles into Kentucky.
    513 in da hous!!!
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    Anyone have any "connections" to UPS employees who can track the movement of this delivery? LOL
    Just call and say your name is Ed, and you want to know where all your Palm Pres are. I am sure they will give you all the info you want in no time! lol
    Global Posts
    815 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MannyZ28 View Post
    Just call and say your name is Ed, and you want to know where all your Palm Pres are. I am sure they will give you all the info you want in no time! lol
    If you call as Ed, I'll call as Dan.
    Dieter -

I can believe that they are sporting the final ROMs based on my experience as a manufacturing/test engineer. When we had things assembled overseas, if we had a firmware or flash upgrade (which takes a few minutes or seconds depending on the EEPROM or programming unit you use) we would either do the following:

1. Send the firmware file to the manufacturing company overseas along with test code and test procedures

2. OR send a batch of already flashed ROMS overseas for on-board installation on their assembly line.

Either way, the time it takes to flash a small ROM does not take long at all (hell I remember doing over 1000 during an 8 hour day all by myself for a video processing card). I can imagine Palm having a more automated method of doing this. It is the quantity of phones that will determine how long it takes. Again this is based on my experience as a manufacturing/test engineer for a video hardware company YEARS ago. I can only imagine how much faster this process is now.

As far as the "Source Audit" - we used to do "final spot checking" when our units arrived. This usually means testing up to 5 out of every 10 units. Again - I'm not sure what Palm's quality standards are but I'm sure they will do the usual final packaging inspection - manuals, cables, unit inspection (damage, scratching, mis-labeling).
    Last edited by cary328is; 04/28/2009 at 02:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cary328is View Post
    Dieter -

I can believe that they are sporting the final ROMs based on my experience as a manufacturing/test engineer. When we had things assembled overseas, if we had a firmware or flash upgrade (which takes a few minutes or seconds depending on the EEPROM or programming unit you use) we would either do the following:

1. Send the firmware file to the manufacturing company overseas along with test code and test procedures

2. OR send a batch of already flashed ROMS overseas for on-board installation on their assembly line.

Either way, the time it takes to flash a small ROM does not take long at all (hell I remember doing over 1000 during an 8 hour day all by myself for a video processing card). I can imagine Palm having a more automated method of doing this. It is the quantity of phones that will determine how long it takes. Again this is based on my experience as a manufacturing/test engineer for a video hardware company YEARS ago. I can only imagine how much faster this process is now.
    Great info! I remember hearing how HTC was flashing stuff in some random warehouse with a bank of a dozen computers not too long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dieter Bohn View Post
    Great info! I remember hearing how HTC was flashing stuff in some random warehouse with a bank of a dozen computers not too long ago.
    Yes! Exactly!!! For our in house programming, we used to literally line up long tables and set up dozens of PCs along with programmers like these:

Xeltek Inc. :: Programmers :: SuperPro 3000U Programmer Cluster with 4 of 512 CF

It took like 15 seconds to do 4 chips at once x 24 workstations = close to 100 chips in a few seconds. So production was FAST...AND we were considered a "small" company then.
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    The story posted here did not mention that the shipment was by AIR. That is an important point.

That means it's in the States by now!
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Say does anyone have the UPS tracking number of the Pre shipments?

I wonder what load we could put on the UPS servers checking on it
    Tom
  14.    #35  
    They should just ship them all directly to me. Come meet me at my house and line up for your Pre! Only $1500/each!
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Early on we heard reports of a "soft opening".

Do you think the air shipments are for us folks who signed up for Pre info?
    Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by TomD View Post
    Early on we heard reports of a "soft opening".

Do you think the air shipments are for us folks who signed up for Pre info?

Or they could be for the store experts that get to figure out the phone 1st.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12