Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I just saw the latest Sprint commercial ( ), which mentions the Amazon Kindle (which also runs on the Sprint network) and it got me thinking...

Given that Amazon.com is running the music store for the Pre, and that they've been a launch partner with access to the SDK almost from day #1, what do people think the odds are that Amazon will create a eBook reader (with Whispersync) application for the Pre, like they did for the iPhone?

Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by WMicke View Post
    I just saw the latest Sprint commercial ( ), which mentions the Amazon Kindle (which also runs on the Sprint network) and it got me thinking...

Given that Amazon.com is running the music store for the Pre, and that they've been a launch partner with access to the SDK almost from day #1, what do people think the odds are that Amazon will create a eBook reader (with Whispersync) application for the Pre, like they did for the iPhone?

Any thoughts?
    They better.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    It'd be nice. But if you're Amazon, wouldn't you look at other platforms first since there are currently no WebOS devices released yet? Palm/Sprint won't get the big names at first unless they make an effort to get em. The one wildcard is that its supposedly very easy to develop for WebOS.
    I think it is very likely. As you said they have already invested in making one for the iPhone. Amazon is invested in promoting digital distribution of their books and content, it is far more profitable for them. To do that they need to put their content in front of as many people as possible. And they have done so with apps for the iPhone, set top boxes for the TV, dedicated ebook readers, streaming content to the computer, music store for the computer and mobile devices like the G1 and Pre etc etc.

The only issue I see is that they did wait some time before revealing an iphone app. Hopefully this was related to issues on their end and they wont wait until the Pre has similar market penetration before acting.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    It'd be nice. But if you're Amazon, wouldn't you look at other platforms first since there are currently no WebOS devices released yet? Palm/Sprint won't get the big names at first unless they make an effort to get em. The one wildcard is that its supposedly very easy to develop for WebOS.
    I think your last sentence is the most important one. How hard can it be to develop a reader for webOS? Certainly not as difficult a development effort as for the iPhone. I think they'd be foolish not to do it, as it provides them yet another avenue to sell more ebooks. I predict there will be a Kindle app on the Pre within 3 months of release. It would be worth it (given the lower effort required) even if there were only 100k Pres out there. Most analysts think there will easily be 1M sold the first year.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I agree. If they can develop a WebOS app on the side and quickly, then they will. As Palm has said, there's armies of techies out there that already know the basics. With the iphone, you got to have experts in objective C...some even outsource for it.
    Never know, Sprint could also force the issue given the fact Amazon is piggybacking Kindle on Sprint's network.
    I would bet that they will have it right away